how do you change a Serpentine Belt - Page 3 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting problems and solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Points: 101,395, Level: 1 Points: 101,395, Level: 1 Points: 101,395, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Car: 2008 300c SRT-8 {LCC}
Garage
you dont loosen any bolts...the tensioner is spring loaded. It has a square hole in it that accepts the square drive of a ratchet or breaker bar (without a socket on it)...this allows leverage for you to move the tensioner -to combat the spring, which gives sufficient slackness in the belt to pull it off all the pulley wheels. No nuts are loosened in this process. Below is a photo of the spring adjuster....you can see the square hole in it's front face (i.e centred on the pulley wheel, but on the front face (opposite side of the metal to the pulley) - note how it has nothing to do with the mounting bolt in the centre of the mounting boss (no bolt in the photo, just the bolt's hole). imagine the tensioner as clock hands.....all youre doing is pulling the hands slightly further round the clockface. The heavy spring is coiled inside that alloy circular boss next to the black pulley wheel in the photo....its all pivots on the bolt that goes through the alloy boss's centre
This photo isnt a 300C tensioner, but its almost identical and shows the two sides of one tensioner. So....put the square end of a ratchet bar / breaker bar / torque wrench into that square recess on the tensioner & haul like crazy to pull the tensioner AWAY from the belt, then pull the belt away from the pulley wheel. TIP: pen & paper - draw the belt's route round all the pulley's first so you have a map of how to route the new one. Fitting is the opposite - loop the belt around all its pulleys, leaving the tensioner pulley to the last. Hauling against the spring will allow you to pop the belt over the tensioner's pulley wheel. relax the spring and it pushes against the belt and takes up the slack.

In the photo, the square hole is beneath the 'O' in 'shop'

Watching You Avoiding Me!

Last edited by Kaiser Bill; 11-19-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Points: 460, Level: 1 Points: 460, Level: 1 Points: 460, Level: 1
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Car:
Hi just read this thread and my tension pulley is nothing like the one pictures, for a start there is no 3/8 drive square just a large splined bit of cast at the bottom of the tension pulley.
It states on the pulley which way to loosen it and I moved it to remove the belt, after I drew a plan of the routing.
Now I'm going to struggle to get anything on this as it's bigger than my splined drive sockets, and a bar is tricky with the space as I'll need a free hand to get the belt over the pulley.

Any ideas I could take a picture but it's started to chuck it down now.

Last edited by Jimcub; 03-16-2017 at 12:06 PM.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Points: 101,395, Level: 1 Points: 101,395, Level: 1 Points: 101,395, Level: 1
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Car: 2008 300c SRT-8 {LCC}
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimcub View Post
Hi just read this thread and my tension pulley is nothing like the one pictures, for a start there is no 3/8 drive square just a large splined bit of cast at the bottom of the tension pulley.
It states on the pulley which way to loosen it and I moved it to remove the belt, after I drew a plan of the routing.
Now I'm going to struggle to get anything on this as it's bigger than my splined drive sockets, and a bar is tricky with the space as I'll need a free hand to get the belt over the pulley.

Any ideas I could take a picture but it's started to chuck it down now.
...the guy was asking about a Hemi - I'm presuming you have a CRD - not the same at all. Here you go...

3.0L DIESEL

NOTE: The belt routing schematics are published from the latest information available at the time of publication. If anything differs between these schematics and the Belt Routing Label, use the schematics on Belt Routing Label. This label is located in the engine compartment.
CAUTION: Do not let tensioner arm snap back to the freearm position, severe damage may occur to the tensioner.
Belt tension is not adjustable. Belt adjustment is maintained by an automatic, spring loaded belt tensioner (5).

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Rotate belt tensioner (5) until it contacts its stop. Remove belt, then slowly rotate the tensioner (5) into the freearm position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crd belt.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	149002  

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Points: 460, Level: 1 Points: 460, Level: 1 Points: 460, Level: 1
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Car:
Hi my mistake a search only came up with this thread, some picture as I had drawn I need an alien head to see what my hands can feel.
Will retry when rains gone 2 to 3 days and my body feels up to it, oh the joys of age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement