Replacing upper tube EGR tube seal - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Troubleshooting Forums > General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting problems and solutions

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 1,890, Level: 1 Points: 1,890, Level: 1 Points: 1,890, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300 3.5L
Member Number: 32388
Replacing upper tube EGR tube seal

Hi,

I'm a new member and would like to know what would be the easiest way of replacing the upper EGR tube seal (blue rubber seal). This seal is between the upper manifold the upper EGR tube.

I have a vacuum leak from a recent tuneup job in which the techs failed to seat the seal properly.

From what I've read so far, there are 2 options to replace upper EGR tube seal:

1) remove the upper manifold or,
2) remove the cowl (to get to the EGR valve and remove the upper tube)

Both seem to require a quite amount of work so I'm interested in getting ideas on a faster way of replacing the seal w/o taking option 1 or 2.

I fear there are no other options but am crossing my fingers.

Thanks,
d_bruce

Last edited by d_bruce; 05-06-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I got it resolved; removed the plenum (upper manifold) and cowl (not necessary to remove the cowl for the job I did).

I thought that I could remove the cowl and just replace the EGR gasket and seal. That didn't work because I couldn't reach the EGR. So, after the plenum was off, I slid the seal onto the end the of the EGR upper tube and put the plenum back in place.

I think it was much easier when 2 ppl are working on it. The only issued I had was loosening one of the bolts, when removing the plenum, that holds the support bracket (near the alternator) on the left side of the engine. The space was a bit tight but a long 15mm combo wrench gave me some leverage outside of the tight space.

The gasket on the plenum was fine but I replaced it anyways.

blue seal: $9
Gasket: $17
Time: 4 hours (had to go pick up a 15mm wrench and gasket); I could have shaved off another hour if I hadn't removed the cowl.

Last edited by d_bruce; 05-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Points: 1,704, Level: 1 Points: 1,704, Level: 1 Points: 1,704, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2007 Dodge Magnum SXT
Member Number: 6267
i know i'm a little late but, it's a 10 minute job. no need to remove the cowl or the plenum.
lay across the top of the engine and look down through the opening where the trans dipstick tube comes out. from there you can see the 2 tube-to-EGR flange bolts. using a 1/4" drive 8mm flex socket, an 18" extension and ratchet, you can remove the flange bolts. then you can remove the tube.
once you replace the tube seal AND the flange gasket, you can reinstall the same way you took it out. make sure the tube stays fully inserted in the plenum as you tighten the flange bolts.
the flange gasket is also a possible leak point and should be replaced anytime the tube and/or plenum is removed.

sorry for the late reply.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

No worries, fnkychkn. I thought I had posted the question in the wrong category

Despite the unnecessary efforts to remove the plenum and the cowl, I did learn a lot about whats under the hood. When the EGR valve goes out next, I'll definitely remember to buy that 18" extension to make things a little easier.

Thx!
Cheers

Last edited by d_bruce; 05-08-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement