I made a flip fob today! - Page 8 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Chrysler 300 & All LX Models Forums > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

General Discussion General Discussion topics about the Chrysler 300 and other LX models that don't fit within the specific listed categories below.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #71 (permalink)
Elite Contributing Member
Points: 26,920, Level: 1 Points: 26,920, Level: 1 Points: 26,920, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 22985
Send a message via AIM to onesickhotrod
Re: I made a flip fob today!

So dealer was shocked and excited to do it, but they only cut half... so I went to lowes and they cut the other half and it worked. I walked in and had them cut my other one and when I tried it it didn't work... needless to say I do have one in paint now and one I'm gonna hit with the dremal...

Sent from my junk Droid 2 Global

Rochester, NY

See my garage for upgrades
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 7,133, Level: 1 Points: 7,133, Level: 1 Points: 7,133, Level: 1
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Member Number: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickhotrod View Post
The lock smith wont cut so I'm headed to the dealer after lunch then if they wont do it a auto locksmith. I'll report back!
There is no reason a locksmith or the dealer can't cut these keys.

The transponder part of the key is not connected in any way to the actual
metal part of the key.

Any key cutting machine can cut these as long as there is room for the
plastic fob part to fit into the key blank holder.

My friend recently bought a Keil 1 1/2 Key Duplicating Machine from the 1930's at an estate
sale for 20 bucks.

He lent it to me, and I used it to not only cut my new flip fob, but I also
bought a few key blanks on ebay cheap, for the locks in my house. I now
have a bunch of spares.

If your local home depot or locksmith says they can't cut these, they are
wrong. I was able to cut my own with no problems what-so-ever.

All you have to do is make sure you get both sides lined up, and also that the
depth of the cutter is right, otherwise the key may not work.

Which sounds like the case for you, where you said the one key cut at Lowes didn't work.
That just means the guy doing the cutting didn't know how to fully use the
key duplicating machine.

And for an actual dealer to only cut one side is just not right.
I can't believe they would do this to you, as the
key is pretty much usless with only one side cut. Why did they even
make the attempt if they weren't going to finish the job.

Also, if you want to, you can always take the key blank out of these new flip
fobs and just bring that to get the key cut. Then all they are doing is using
your exsisting key as the guide, and they can't claim they will mess it up,
or try to charge you an arm and a leg for cutting it, because they claim
they can't cut keys with transponders.

This is not rocket science. Its key cutting. And the old machine that
I used cut my keys perfectly.

Here is an original picture, from 1930's, of the Keil Duplicating Machine my friend let me use:

Jim

As GoofyTimL says: "thats just adolescent"

Last edited by CJ7VFR; 02-26-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #73 (permalink)

I started at the dealer and he told me he wasn't sure if it would work but could cut it to my vin. I told him to go ahead as I had 2 so if it didn't work it wasn't a big deal. He turned it and it wouldn't fit in his machine. He said to go to lowes because he didn't know how to manualy cut it. When I went to lowes and had the other side cut it worked.

The same guy cut the other but it didn't work. They are different keys from different venders on ebay. I think this one needs to be cut a little.

I laughed at everyone who said they couldn't cut it. I know they were pulling my chain and I don't want to give them my money anyway. I do have one working and that's ok for now... Its just funny how people are scared to do work. My madeyelids are no good to me because not one guy will weld them and warrenty the work after its complete. Even know I said I didn't want a warenty.

Just crazy!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #74 (permalink)
Points: 2,936, Level: 1 Points: 2,936, Level: 1 Points: 2,936, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Car: 2005 chrysler 300c
Member Number: 34893
Guys I just got my shell and went to Walmart to see if I could make the copy and couldn't we're can I make the copy?? Help
Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #75 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 73,539, Level: 1 Points: 73,539, Level: 1 Points: 73,539, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300c
Member Number: 18438

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickhotrod View Post
My madeyelids are no good to me because not one guy will weld them and warrenty the work after its complete. Even know I said I didn't want a warenty.

Soooo ship 'em to me! Lol... I have someone willing and waiting to cut more.... Just won't from a template! Lol... Figures! I bugged Marc for his last set on messenger for months and I let up for a month and boom... Gone! Lol... I was gonna get a few cut for forum members and ship them for the cost of the cutting and the shipping. I know what you're going through... It's tough to find people willing to take 'risks' anymore as they are all worried about repercussions. So sad... But then its people suing everyone for everything that makes people worry.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
FRI'd Sidewinder, Novi 1200 S/C @ 5.5psi, Custom TR1235 A2A Intercooler, Ported SRT Headers & Gutted Mid's, EGR, MDS & 02 Delete, Custom Catback w/Blastin Bobs SRT Pipes 4" tips, 170 Tstat, Big Bully Catchcan, 3.06 diff, 2800 stall, MTCM, Tranzformer, SRT Rad, SRT P/S Cooler, 5/15% Tint, SRT 20's, SRT Spoiler & Bumpers, Custom Stainless Grill, SE Coilovers.

AMP'd, FRI'd and Blown... 422rwhp/463rwtq @ 5.5psi conservative street tune!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver06hemic View Post
Soooo ship 'em to me! Lol... I have someone willing and waiting to cut more.... Just won't from a template! Lol... Figures! I bugged Marc for his last set on messenger for months and I let up for a month and boom... Gone! Lol... I was gonna get a few cut for forum members and ship them for the cost of the cutting and the shipping. I know what you're going through... It's tough to find people willing to take 'risks' anymore as they are all worried about repercussions. So sad... But then its people suing everyone for everything that makes people worry.

Rob

So true! One quote was 500 and the one today was 815! Are you kidding me! I told them I could get a chally hood for that price! Damn it can't be that hard to do! So the part Marc gave me are aluminum. I take it it's not easy to find a welder to tac them on. Not only that they have to be fiber glassed sanded smoothed and painted. PM me your info and I'll ship em to ya if you ship em back after they are cut so we can get more out to members!

I also just cleared my flip fab and in a hour when its dry I'll put it together and throw up a pic! Excited!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #77 (permalink)
Nix
Points: 4,828, Level: 1 Points: 4,828, Level: 1 Points: 4,828, Level: 1
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 36537

I went to my local hardware store and they cut it for $2.85. I had gone to several dealerships and several big box stores and none of them would touch it. Even after I showed them you could unscrew the fob and pull the blank out. Most of them including the dealership gave me a weird look and said they have never seen this type of key, bs.

Then the dealer said that I would need to pay to have it programmed even if they cut it. Why? Why went the chip isn't even in the key itself. I showed them this too and they said it didn't matter and it had to be done, then they told me they couldn't cut it.

Who would have thought it would be such a hassle for many of us to get them cut.

Morons...

Best Regards, Nick Schultz
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #78 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 73,539, Level: 1 Points: 73,539, Level: 1 Points: 73,539, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300c
Member Number: 18438

Will do pal... I can snap off 3 sets then send em back and use one of the sets I cut for a template. If your cool with that I think we could help some folks get the look they want for cheap... I'm not interested in making money but like helping people out on here! Cheers pal!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver06hemic View Post
Will do pal... I can snap off 3 sets then send em back and use one of the sets I cut for a template. If your cool with that I think we could help some folks get the look they want for cheap... I'm not interested in making money but like helping people out on here! Cheers pal!

Agreed! what metal are you cutting? If it is steel do you think it would be easier to weld and use? Also What if I jb welded it??? Ahhh pm me and we will talk more!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #80 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 91,776, Level: 1 Points: 91,776, Level: 1 Points: 91,776, Level: 1
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion, Yeti 8: Jungle Swing Champion

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 22401
Ugh. Just got back from the stealership. Here comes a rant.....

I've had one key since I bought the car in '09. I bought some flip fobs a few months back after seeing this thread, but still never got around to cutting/programming them. With this thread revived, it put some fire under my butt so I decided to finally get them done today.

Went to my local dealership - which I must say has an awesome parts department that I use all of the time, but this was my first experience with the service department. And it wasn't a good experience.

I have only one good programmed and cut old-style key. I called them on the phone and told them that I will be bringing in my old key, as well as two new flip keys and a one transponder key. I needed all three cut and two programmed (planning on just swapping the guts for the third one). They tell me it's $48 to program, regardless of how many keys, and that they will cut them for free.

So I get there and they act like this flip key is something they have never seen. So whatever dude, just cut the damn keys. I pull my car right in with no wait and nobody in the waiting lobby. The guy tells me it will be about 45 minutes. Really??? He says it takes quite awhile to program. BS. But whatever, I had some work to do anyways so I sit in the waiting lobby.

Hour goes by, so I walk back there - he tells me it's still programming. Yeah right. Another half hour goes by and he finally comes out to say... "we have a small problem". Oh great.

One of the keys was cut too deeply and will not work. He starts telling me that it looks to be a defective key because it has a little bit of play to it and it must have slipped in the machine. Again - BS. All of these flip keys have a little bit of play to them - they actually move laterally a little bit when flipping open. I showed him this and he had nothing to say. Especially since the other one was cut perfectly and it had the same amount of play. Besides, they should be taking the key out of the fob to cut it anyways.

So anyways, I actually had yet another flip fob in my car (accidentally ordered too many - would have sold my extra to one of you guys, but....). So I give him the other key to cut - this time no problems and the key works well.

After 2 hours and 15 minutes at the stealership, he is finally ready to check me out and wants $70 something. Huh? What happened to $48? He said they charge $5 per key for cutting. Still - huh? And get this - he was charging for 4 key cuts!! Ok, so first off - you said key cuts were free on the phone. Second, if they aren't, then I'm only paying for 3 key cuts - you screwed up the 3rd cut, which required a 4th key to be cut. And finally, you just ruined one of my new fobs - so I want the $18 that I paid to be given to me... or another uncut flip fob if they have them in stock.

Long story short, the guy wouldn't budge. What a prick. He ended up taking $5 off for the 4th key cut, but refused to refund me any money for screwing up one of my keys... sticking to his story that I should contact the key seller to say it's defective - even though he successfully cut two other flip fob keys that are exactly the same!!!

Pisses me off. So I just finally paid the dbag and left. I'll return to their parts department, but never again to their service department. I never take my car for service to the dealer and have heard tons of horror stories from you guys. I have a private shop that knows the LX platform well and I trust them with everything. Just amazing that my first experience with Chrysler service department is something as simple as cutting/programming keys - and they still screw it up. Sigh.

Only good news is that at least I no longer have just one key - now I have a bunch!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement