Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

frozen lock - needs a locksmith

5K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  DESIREE 
#1 ·
I have my 2002 Chrysler 300m , and my ca locks has been frozen and the problem getting worst in the cold weather. It is very difficult to lock or unlock the car door locks. If anyone is familiar with this kindly suggest me about it.

#3 ·
Inject WD40 directly into key hole.

#5 ·
You can also heat the blade of the key with a cigarette lighter and just stick it into the keyhole, which will heat the lock tumbler enough to free it. Then squirt the WD-40 in to it so as to repel water in the future.

Reactions: MADDOG
#14 · (Edited)
Good solution !

But once the lock is free, I suggest using Lock-Ease instead, for WD-40 evaporates/dries-out after a while...
This graphite/oil fluid is part of my routine pre-winter car préparations...

You will never get locked out again. ::smile::

Attachments

#6 ·
One way to unfreeze the lock is by placing a magnet over the lock overnight. Another way to unfreeze your lock is by dipping your key into vaseline, put it into the lock and then turn it back and forth a few times. Although the best option in this situation would be to call a good emergency locksmith

#8 ·
Guess the magnet's strong current on the metal, creates heat and melts the ice???? ::biggrin:: I almost want to put water in my lock cylinders tonight just to see this amazing trick work, however since I need to go to work in the morning, I would not bet much that this actually works.

#15 ·
I also wipe down the door gaskets with the WD40 to keep them from freezing fast to the door frame. Nothing like getting the lock unfroze, or keeping it from freezing, only to find the door literally "glued" shut by the frozen water between the gasket and the frame.
I've had no issues with either the locks freezing or door gaskets sticking over any winter season due to evaporation of the WD40. But then winters here don't get much free flowing water immediately followed by a hard freeze.
There was one time, after driving in a rain storm in New Jersey and parking the car at home in the PA Poconos the next morning the whole car was frozen to the ground! All of the WD40 in Hazleton, PA would not have helped, unless it had been heated to 150-degrees! Once in 50 years I can live with.

#18 ·
I would not put WD-40 anywhere near my car. Not sure I would even use it on my rusty garden tools. Someone recommended applying it to the rubber seals. Don't do it. WD-40 is very close in chemical composition as diesel fuel, but smells mildly better. WD-40 is petroleum based and will rot rubber seals. It takes a little time, but eventually your rubber seals, especially if there are little nicks and cuts, will become the consistency of slippery jelly. There are far better silicon based seal conditioners out there. As for using it in locks, it does the job temporarily, but again, much like diesel fuel, WD-40 attracts dirt. Eventually your lock cylinder sliders will be just a sticky mess of goo. There are far better lubricants/anti-icing solutions for locks, such a a graphite based liquid or powder.

#22 ·
I got locked out of my 68 Plymouth Fury once because of ice. I got some vacuum cleaner hose and put one end over a friends cars exhaust pipe, and aimed the other end at the lock. When it thawed out, I used lock ease to keep it from happening again.

#24 ·
Frozen door lock IN MAY? Yuk!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.