Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Life of the Hemi engine

24K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  tomlabelle 
#1 ·
What is the expected life of the Hemi engine before first major overhaul and subsequently? Does anyone have the stats?

jaydee

#2 ·
Why, do you think it would be less than any other modern V8? With the materials, engineering and manufacturing processes used today it should out last anything we bought in the past 40 years. The power levels we enjoy seem to be the result of great cylinder heads and good old cubic inches. These are not high strung engines, just very efficient at making a broad power band. Properly maintained and not abused this should be a 150,000+ engine just like the current GM LS2 is. Can't say that about any 60's muscle car engine. Who ever thought saying "they sure don't build em like they used to" would actually turn into a compliment. Just 2 cents worth from someone that had a hand full of 440 B body muscles cars as a teenager.

#3 ·
La Hemi said:
Why, do you think it would be less than any other modern V8? With the materials, engineering and manufacturing processes used today it should out last anything we bought in the past 40 years. The power levels we enjoy seem to be the result of great cylinder heads and good old cubic inches. These are not high strung engines, just very efficient at making a broad power band. Properly maintained and not abused this should be a 150,000+ engine just like the current GM LS2 is. Can't say that about any 60's muscle car engine. Who ever thought saying "they sure don't build em like they used to" would actually turn into a compliment. Just 2 cents worth from someone that had a hand full of 440 B body muscles cars as a teenager.

I didnt think anything- I just asked :)

Considering this engine has evolved over many decades, wouldn't one expect more than 150K miles out of it under the best circs? Does Chrysler/Dodge or indeed any other engine manufacturer make such estimates? How do Bentley/Rolls Engines compare for longevity?

I was told by limo drivers of Lincoln towncars that apart from routine maintainence their engines would go for excess of 400K miles.. any truth to this? or is this just urban legend? just curious..

Jaydee

#4 ·
I have never heard of a manufacturer making engine life claims. There are just too many variables - driving style; climate; maintenance; etc.

As an extreme example, the Cummins diesel engine in the Dodge trucks is reported to go well over 350,000 miles before a MOH.

The good news is that the 5.7 Hemi engine was developed for the Dodge Ram trucks. Owners of these vehicles expect long life out of a properly maintained engine - typically 150,000 to 200,000 before a major rebuild. The Hemi seems to spec out well this way; large bearings; low rpm's; large oil capacity; very few moving parts.

On the other hand, a careless owner can destroy any engine in a very short period of time.

With my Hemi I change the oil and filter frequently - every 3000 miles; I run Castrol Syntec oil; On start up, I give the engine time to move and warm the oil before applying any rpm's.

#5 ·
Northern Rider said:
I have never heard of a manufacturer making engine life claims. There are just too many variables - driving style; climate; maintenance; etc.

As an extreme example, the Cummins diesel engine in the Dodge trucks is reported to go well over 350,000 miles before a MOH.

The good news is that the 5.7 Hemi engine was developed for the Dodge Ram trucks. Owners of these vehicles expect long life out of a properly maintained engine - typically 150,000 to 200,000 before a major rebuild. The Hemi seems to spec out well this way; large bearings; low rpm's; large oil capacity; very few moving parts.

On the other hand, a careless owner can destroy any engine in a very short period of time.

With my Hemi I change the oil and filter frequently - every 3000 miles; I run Castrol Syntec oil; On start up, I give the engine time to move and warm the oil before applying any rpm's.
NR- speaking of oil changes, Is it just me or do others too feel this- I feel like it needs an oil change every 2200 miles... This "gritty" feeling is not just restricted to the 300C in my experience.. Left to me, I'd change my oil every 2200 or so miles rather than 3000. There did not seem to be any difference in this "feel" when I was using mobil one either. I have switched to Syntech and have a good feeling about this oil in the Hemi- all seat of the pants impressions.

#6 ·
Life Span

jaydee said:
I didnt think anything- I just asked :)

Considering this engine has evolved over many decades, wouldn't one expect more than 150K miles out of it under the best circs? Does Chrysler/Dodge or indeed any other engine manufacturer make such estimates? How do Bentley/Rolls Engines compare for longevity?

I was told by limo drivers of Lincoln towncars that apart from routine maintainence their engines would go for excess of 400K miles.. any truth to this? or is this just urban legend? just curious..

Jaydee
I don't know what "LIMO drivers" you are talking to, but take it from a Fellow "executive sedan / Limo driver ( as my retirement job) In fleet circles if a "Limo" were to have 400K miles on the odometer You can double bubble the idle time into it for a net of 800K ---- I DOUBT IT.--- At 135K most independants are looking to unload the Town cars.At Boston Coach ( where a deal was entered into with Caddilac) the cars are turned over @ a maximum of 32K.After that, a premium of $.35 per mile is paid back to GM in accordance with the "buy - back provisions".Why look a gift horse in the mouth?? High Performance engines can be
muled" as long as the proper preventative maintainence is adhered to.

#7 ·
Apples & Grapefruits

My 1996 Infiniti Q45 had 182,000 HARD miles on it when I inadvertently tore a hole in the oil pan on a rollercoaster road. Long story short: I found a used engine in Milwaukee with only 18,000 miles on it and replaced my engine. I dissected the old motor (aluminum block V8 4.5 liter, 278 HP) and found that the entire inside was a beautiful honey color: No brown, no black, no evidence of wear on the crank or cam bearings. That car passed emmissions testing like a new car every time!

I drove that car hard everyday, shifting at redline (6,500 rpm) and changed the oil every 5,000 miles with Mobil1 10w-30 synthetic. (and I used those Fram filters you guys all bag on). After I saw with my own eyes the beautiful lack of wear or sludge I knew I would run Mobil1 in ALL my vehicles. My 300C SRT-8 gets the oil changed every 3,000 miles (dealer service plan) to me that's overkill. After I am out of warranty (100,000 miles) I will go back to changing every 5,000 miles, with no concern.

Even though I drive my car HARD, I fully expect this engine to last, and last, and last. Of course I'll be more careful on the rollercoaster roads!

#12 · (Edited)
Belmont CJ said:
Listen Moggy, This, "Sweaty Sock" can presently be found looking out for some kittys to stomp! Besides, if he was talking about entertaining posts from your quarter, he wasn't far wrong!
:rocketwho

Game on then Mr B

my guns bigger than your gun

MTC

#14 ·
Belmont CJ said:
:laugh2: As usual MTC, you are nothing if not witty. PS have we done why Hadrian built the wall?:wall:
I suppose that is better than being nothing !!

No, we've not done why Hadrian built the wall, perhaps you would like to share (& perhaps give some links for t'others to follow.

MTC

#15 ·
In Europe, for The Hemi, DCX recommands oil change every 7500mi (12'000km) and they use full synthetic 5W40.
In Switzerland tune up are free up to 60'000km (5 tune up).
It sounds a bit different than US spec.

Here most manufacturer recommand 10'000mi up to 12'500mi oil change...even for little 4 bangers :toothache

#19 ·
My 1999 300M 3.5 V6 had 283,000 miles on it when the trans let go. Oil change and change the timing belt every 120K. I have 135K on my 6.1 now. I would expect it to go over 200K as well. At what mileage has anyone changed the timing chain?

#20 ·
I had my first overhaul at 118k due to a dropped valve seat but other than that when they stripped the motor down to the block they told me everything else was in pristine condition. So with that being said id say anywhere from 120k to 170k seems reasonable I have 168k on the clock so im expecting at least another 100k miles or so with good maintenance easily these engines are very well made in my opinion.

#23 ·
Sweating every time you stomp the pedal with 100hp jump?... not so much.

Many many many people run that and more with absolutely no issues. I was 120hp over stock for 60k, my cylinders were amazing on head removal and no wear anywhere. Now I'm 220whp over stock on a supercharged motor at 12k and my last compression test was perfect and I don't use a drop of oil. 95ish k on a stock bottom 5.7.

These motors handle far more than 100hp... 150 shot on a heads and cam car is towing the line (even though I did it), but there should be no sweat on anyone's brow with 100hp.

#24 ·
I've read that if you want to go more than 100hp over stock, usually with a blower, the prudent thing to do is convert to forged internals. I've seen stroked SBHs(392-417ci) in Mopar mags with up to 700hp w/o blowers but all of them had forged parts and big carbs and other tricks.

#25 ·
It's all in how the power is delivered, not the power itself. For example a heads and cam car with an aggressive cam can make 100hp on a 5.7. The car breathes better due to head porting and cam design, if given adequate exhaust (which most usually do before such mods) then power delivery is smooth and linear and cylinder pressure is not increased much at all.

Throw the motor 100 shot of nitrous and life changes... the cylinder pressure is high and the power is savage and instant. At 100 shot you are still safe as you can get with a nitrous tank in the trunk and the 5.7-6.1 have both proven to soak up to 150 shot of spray before taxing the upper ringland beyond its abilities.

Same goes for a blower, 100-150hp is not an issue, as long as it's developed at 5-6psi... anything more is a concern for cylinders, Pistons and rods.power delivery is more linear again (with a centrifugal) so when tuned right at a sensible psi the Hemi once again absorb the power well.

In either power adder situation heads and cam stack very well and add far more power than 100hp. They actually help with breathing and with adequate exhaust will help your internals stay happier and keep your egt's down.

So I guess it's all in how you deliver the power... 200hp with a blower only.... not smart... 175 shot of spray only... on borrowed time. Heads/cam/exhaust 5.7 with a blower or a 100 shot... sitting pretty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.