Burning smell - Page 2 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Chrysler 300 & All LX Models Forums > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

General Discussion General Discussion topics about the Chrysler 300 and other LX models that don't fit within the specific listed categories below.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 06:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Points: 2,342, Level: 1 Points: 2,342, Level: 1 Points: 2,342, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2005 chrysler 300C
Member Number: 4755
Send a message via AIM to CRUCAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Crucat yours sounds like my problem - not any plastic label burning off. I wonder if the brake guys (Zeckhausen et al) can comment on the composition of the brake pad material ..My brake rotors were more than warm to the touch in city traffic..engine temp was within normal operating temp. Perhaps the parkng brake stays engaged.. so many possibilities.

Jaydee
hey jay let me know what your dealer says, I just smells "hot" if you know what i mean, can't really put my finger on it, but I haven't driven the car in an excessive manner when it happens just normal driving. I need to look into it further and I really don't think it is a major issue at all just something I have noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Points: 3,195, Level: 1 Points: 3,195, Level: 1 Points: 3,195, Level: 1

Car: 2005 none 300c
Member Number: 4282
Last week I had an unscheduled trip to the dealer becaused the car smelled like I had driven it with the handbrake on for a few hours. You could smell it from yards away, even hours later.

The dealer did not find anything but he asked if I lived on a steep hill. Yes I did and yes, it had snowed a bit and I got down the hill with a lot of ABS and anti skid action. Well thats was the reason, in the 300c these systems are not very refined (the dealer called them a rather nasty word I will not repeat). The ABS combined with the brake assist system only seems to have an on/off brake setting, causing the brakepads and all around it to heat up rather fast. It is not a smooth system like in every other car we got up here. Still love the car, but for the winter months I'll got back to my Landcruiser. But if you smell your car after the ABS system has been operating, don't be worried.

Btw, the car seems to chime at me for just about anything, but you can still drive off with the handbrake on (yes, we all done that). I honestly did not know there were high end cars that allowed that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Points: 1,972, Level: 1 Points: 1,972, Level: 1 Points: 1,972, Level: 1

Car:
Member Number: 295
Friend of mine at work has a C that has been causing him some problems. Early build, delivered 04/04. Dies after a fill-up, dealer has had it 5 or 6 times, still does it. Lately he has a burning smell too, but on the highway at speed, no brakes, nothing. Just suddenly gets a hot rubber/wiring insulation kinda smell. Dealer says he can find nothing. The car is out of the lemon parameters, so can't go that way. I think it is time to at least change dealers .... mine is good. He's wanting to find the problem but has been trying to work with the original dealer.
Whew, whole point is that he has smoke smell with the car at cruise speed, no braking having happened for a long time.

Last edited by "C"for me; 02-11-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 18,267, Level: 1 Points: 18,267, Level: 1 Points: 18,267, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Car: 2006 AWD 300C
Member Number: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by "C"for me
Friend of mine at work has a C that has been causing him some problems. Early build, delivered 04/04. Dies after a fill-up, dealer has had it 5 or 6 times, still does it. Lately he has a burning smell too, but on the highway at speed, no brakes, nothing. Just suddenly gets a hot rubber/wiring insulation kinda smell. Dealer says he can find nothing. The car is out of the lemon parameters, so can't go that way. I think it is time to at least change dealers .... mine is good. He's wanting to find the problem but has been trying to work with the original dealer.
Whew, whole point is that he has smoke smell with the car at cruise speed, no braking having happened for a long time.
Yeah kinda strange! But your description may fit my condition...

Jaydee
Old 02-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Points: 1,538, Level: 1 Points: 1,538, Level: 1 Points: 1,538, Level: 1

Car: 2002 XL7 Suzuki
Member Number: 4606
Quote:
Originally Posted by "C"for me
Has he had the battery cable recall done on his car? Applies to about 20,000 300s built before April 21st 2004, this can cause an electrical fire and should have been done allready if its been to the dealership. The dies after fill up was covered in another thread here recently, replace the gas tank or a valve on top of it IIRC.

jaydee, wouldnt be the labels with 14k on it, that should be gone within the first 100 miles. I didnt find any other bulletins about burning smells, and have not had any customers complain about it yet.

Last edited by ktek01; 02-11-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Points: 1,377, Level: 1 Points: 1,377, Level: 1 Points: 1,377, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C diesel
Member Number: 4965
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathijskok
Last week I had an unscheduled trip to the dealer becaused the car smelled like I had driven it with the handbrake on for a few hours. You could smell it from yards away, even hours later.

The dealer did not find anything but he asked if I lived on a steep hill. Yes I did and yes, it had snowed a bit and I got down the hill with a lot of ABS and anti skid action. Well thats was the reason, in the 300c these systems are not very refined (the dealer called them a rather nasty word I will not repeat). The ABS combined with the brake assist system only seems to have an on/off brake setting, causing the brakepads and all around it to heat up rather fast. It is not a smooth system like in every other car we got up here. Still love the car, but for the winter months I'll got back to my Landcruiser. But if you smell your car after the ABS system has been operating, don't be worried.

Btw, the car seems to chime at me for just about anything, but you can still drive off with the handbrake on (yes, we all done that). I honestly did not know there were high end cars that allowed that.
Hi Mathijs,

I am driving a diesel 300C in the UK, one of the first here. It now has 1500 miles on it and I sometimes get a burning rubber smell coming from the back of the car when I roll up and park the car at my home. This can happen even after a slow stop/start trip around town at 30-40mph maximum. I thought something must be touching the exhaust and burning away. No smoke at all (someone on this thread reckoned they got white smoke when transmission fluid hit the exhaust). Not tyres as they feel quite cool. Have not felt temperature of brake discs. I am still driving it fairly gently as others suggest to run in the engine.
Your post is very interesting as I live up a long slope with some sharp turns in it. Driving up this I suspect the ABS/traction control is subtly cutting in and out applying the brake to whichever rear wheel is slipping and losing grip. This may explain why smell is at the back of the car. It could alternatively be the dreaded transmission leak (onto the exhaust) but surely this is pretty unlikely at 1500miles ?
The smell is definitely rubbery, I have no idea what burning transmission fluid is supposed to smell like.
I thought the transmission on these cars was based a longstanding Mercedes unit which should have all the faults sorted out by now.
I would also have thought burning labels on the new exhaust would have gone long before now. Maybe I just have a plastic bag stuck to the exhaust!
Did your problem turn out to be something more or was it genuinely just the brakes getting hot as your dealer suggested?

John
Old 03-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Major Contributing Member
Points: 12,158, Level: 1 Points: 12,158, Level: 1 Points: 12,158, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 black, no options
Member Number: 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon John
Hi Mathijs,

I am driving a diesel 300C in the UK, one of the first here. It now has 1500 miles on it and I sometimes get a burning rubber smell coming from the back of the car when I roll up and park the car at my home. This can happen even after a slow stop/start trip around town at 30-40mph maximum. I thought something must be touching the exhaust and burning away. No smoke at all (someone on this thread reckoned they got white smoke when transmission fluid hit the exhaust). Not tyres as they feel quite cool. Have not felt temperature of brake discs. I am still driving it fairly gently as others suggest to run in the engine.
Your post is very interesting as I live up a long slope with some sharp turns in it. Driving up this I suspect the ABS/traction control is subtly cutting in and out applying the brake to whichever rear wheel is slipping and losing grip. This may explain why smell is at the back of the car. It could alternatively be the dreaded transmission leak (onto the exhaust) but surely this is pretty unlikely at 1500miles ?
The smell is definitely rubbery, I have no idea what burning transmission fluid is supposed to smell like.
I thought the transmission on these cars was based a longstanding Mercedes unit which should have all the faults sorted out by now.
I would also have thought burning labels on the new exhaust would have gone long before now. Maybe I just have a plastic bag stuck to the exhaust!
Did your problem turn out to be something more or was it genuinely just the brakes getting hot as your dealer suggested?

John
I would suspect it is the traction control, not knowing how you go up your driveway of course. Keep an eye for the traction control light to flash as you're going around those corners. Do you ever smell this after level traveling? The traction control is not something you notice, at the most you seem to be going a bit slower than you "should" be.

When we had a snowstorm recently, I had to slip-slide my way up my driveway and the burning smell was strong from the rear wheels, just where it should be from traction control. I never have that smell otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement