Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

ESP Button Exclamation

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  FIXER 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick overview of the ESP button in the SRT8 (purpose, how to use it, what it causes the car to do). I've read that you have to hold it down for different durations of time and that it has different positions. When I've pressed it, very quickly, it just showed a picture of a car getting "out of control" on the dash. I don't believe I noticed any difference in driving though, but again I didn't hold it down. So any ESP tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Rob, I am by no means and expert in this area but I will take the first go at telling what I do know.

Just a quick press of the ESP button means it is basically just sitting there waiting for the first indication of a slip or slide to jump right back on, ie. it really doesn't switch off at all.

Pressing and holding the ESP for a number of seconds, you will get a chime and a notification on the EVIC that ESP is disabled. This means it is off, totally.

Give it a try and do a few doughnuts :01:

#3 ·
Thanks for the info I'm definetly going to try it. I do remember when I was purchasing the car and the dealer was explaining it to me and the millions things that it does, he did briefly talk about it (not in detail at all from what I've been reading here in the forums though). I remember he sais something to the fact of, "just press this if you want to burn rubber". I'm going to try and hold it down though and see what happens and learn.

Any other info. regarding the ESP button that would be useful to me???

#4 · (Edited)
I'll give a lil bit of insight. According to post's I've read and some real time experience, a simple press will disengage the ESP and tourqe limiter (sensor that keeps wheelspin at a minimum by regulating power to the wheels) about 20%. From experience I'd say thats a fair estimate. If you hold the ESP button in for approx 7 seconds it disengages about 80%. My car wont allow the ESP button to be held down (actually work) unless in park or neautral. Too me personally it doesn't make a difference in burnout length but if completely off doesn't shift in stick mode very predictable and will bounce off the rev limiter easy. Thats not too say it shifts good in stick mode anyway but it's a lil more predictable. I am by no means a pro and this is just from my experience, I prefer to just hit the button once and the rest is up too me!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.