How can I get better gas mileage with my "C" - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Chrysler 300 & All LX Models Forums > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

General Discussion General Discussion topics about the Chrysler 300 and other LX models that don't fit within the specific listed categories below.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 7,206, Level: 1 Points: 7,206, Level: 1 Points: 7,206, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300c
Member Number: 17214
How can I get better gas mileage with my "C"

Trying to get some ideas on how to get better mileage with my 300c. It is an 06 with 52k miles on it. I have kmc dime 22" wheels on it. All stock drivetrain. Im seeing about 15-18mpg max? Whats the deal I thought it should get a little better than that! Any ideas guys???? oh yeah i have all my tires set at 32psi and i drive freeway speeds around 75 mph or so! Please input what has helped with your mileage! Thanks sooo much!! Last month my gas bill was $680.

Last edited by onthelo; 07-13-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Points: 3,991, Level: 1 Points: 3,991, Level: 1 Points: 3,991, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300 base
Member Number: 11630
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthelo View Post
Trying to get some ideas on how to get better mileage with my 300c. It is an 06 with 52k miles on it. I have kmc dime 22" wheels on it. All stock drivetrain. Im seeing about 15-18mpg max? Whats the deal I thought it should get a little better than that! Any ideas guys???? oh yeah i have all my tires set at 32psi and i drive freeway speeds around 75 mph or so! Please input what has helped with your mileage! Thanks sooo much!! Last month my gas bill was $680.

Well if this is true "One study reported that for all vehicles tested there was at least 20% loss in fuel economy as cruising speed was increased from 55 to 75 mph. So, 20 mpg at 55 mph becomes 16 mpg or less at 75 mph. "

Then that can be a first step.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Points: 3,991, Level: 1 Points: 3,991, Level: 1 Points: 3,991, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300 base
Member Number: 11630
Actually here is some more tips from the same website. Some of them seem pretty good ideas. Some I question like buying your gas at night but still interesting read

Don't buy gas with greater octane rating than the auto manual recommends. Some think that higher octane ratings mean high quality gas but that isn't true. If your manual says to buy regular gas (usually 87 octane - it's stated on the pump), than you are wasting money paying for premium. Optimal performance is obtained when using gas with the octane rating the engine was designed for. Using mid-range or premium octane gas costs more and will not result in superior performance. However, older vehicles may require these grades to avoid "knock" which reduces power and may damage the engine.

Keep your tires inflated at the recommended tire pressure. This is very important yet somewhat counterintuitive. Under inflated tires will get poorer gas mileage and shorten tire life. Keep a close eye on your tire pressure. Check your manual for proper inflation pressures.

De-Junk the trunk. An extra 100 pounds can degrade fuel economy by 2 percent. That means if the price of gas is $3 per gallon, with that 100 pounds of junk you are paying $3.06 per gallon. It adds up.

Use a light foot. Gently accelerate. Acceleration is where most gas is consumed. It takes relatively little gas to maintain a constant speed.

Also drive slower, higher speeds consume disproportionately more gas (easier said than done). One study reported that for all vehicles tested there was at least 20% loss in fuel economy as cruising speed was increased from 55 to 75 mph. So, 20 mpg at 55 mph becomes 16 mpg or less at 75 mph.
If you have an instant MPG (miles per gallon) meter, use it to gage yourself.

Also use cruise control on highway trips.

Stop your engine if idle for 30 seconds or longer if it's safe to do so.

Don't fall for those gas-saving gadgets, oil treatments, etc. Consumer Reports have tested the dozens of so-called gas-saving engine accessories and found that they deliver nothing but hot air.

Ditch the roof rack unless absolutely necessary. Even an empty one will catch the wind and cost you mileage.

Reduce the use of your air conditioner at low driving speeds. However, when driving over 40 mph using the air conditioner costs less fuel than having windows open.

Park in the shade and/or leave windows slightly open to reduce the need for air conditioning.

Do not overfill the tank. After the auto-fill nozzle clicks off, don't allow service station personnel to "top-off" the tank if they are using the vapor recovery nozzles. These recover more than just gasoline vapor for the station.

Calculate gasoline mileage periodically. Declining mileage can be an early indicator of mechanical problems or a need for servicing.

Purchase your gasoline when it's coolest outside such as in the early morning or at night. Gas becomes denser in cooler temperatures. Since gas pumps only measure the volume of fuel - and not the density - you'll get more gas for the money and therefore greater overall gas mileage by purchasing fuel when it's cool outside rather than in the heat of the day.

Don't drive with open windows when traveling at high speeds. Open windows on the highway can reduce fuel efficiency by 10%. It's much better to use the ventilation system.

Stretching Your Gas Dollars
Old 07-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Points: 5,130, Level: 1 Points: 5,130, Level: 1 Points: 5,130, Level: 1

Car:
Member Number: 2964
mileage

Stop driving your 300C !!! You'll save a ton of gas . But seriously , the C is a pig on gas if you're driving the car fast and ok if you drive the car at the speed limit within the MDS operating range . You do not have a gas miser of a car , it does drink gas faster than most cars because the engine technology is crued . The new hemi 5.7 should help as it has VVT technology to reduce blowby and utilize the air/fuel mixture more effectively .
B D HEMI
Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Points: 7,874, Level: 1 Points: 7,874, Level: 1 Points: 7,874, Level: 1
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Car: 2007 CHRYSLER 300C HEMI 5.7L
Member Number: 17961
Send a message via AIM to MR. GAMBINO Send a message via MSN to MR. GAMBINO Send a message via Skype™ to MR. GAMBINO
Heres what I think and did:

nitrogen on tires instead of air
K&N air intake system. The plastic one not the chrome
throttle body spacer
try to maintain your air and fuel filter clean
and your tuneups on time,

thats what I do but I am not a pro or nothing I might be wrong but I do see a difference in fuel economy after I did this. good luck
AIRAID SPACER
RESONATOR DELETE
5% TINT
LED SIDE MARKERS
LED TAILLIGHTS
LED FRONT TURN SIGNALS
HID 8000k ON FOG LIGHTS
Old 07-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Points: 19,379, Level: 1 Points: 19,379, Level: 1 Points: 19,379, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300c
Member Number: 7646
I have 22" KMC rims as well and I think that's hurting us a lot. The rims are heavy so it is what it is. However, according to the EVIC I get about 22 MPG highway which is still horrible but better than the 18 you're reporting.
-Gray sheep skin inserts
-Blue LED interior lights
-K2 smoked LED tails
-K2 black halo projectors
-7 color halo projector fogs
-Clear sidemarkers with black background, LED bulbs
-35% tint
-Gloss black pillars
-Custom made light up black front license plate with "300c Hemi" logo (gift from the fiance. awwwwwww)
-?????? I'm running out of mods and money
Old 07-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 22,497, Level: 1 Points: 22,497, Level: 1 Points: 22,497, Level: 1

Car: 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Member Number: 16364
Send a message via ICQ to Inferno07 Send a message via AIM to Inferno07 Send a message via Yahoo to Inferno07
Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HEMI View Post
it does drink gas faster than most cars because the engine technology is crued .
B D HEMI
Yep the Hemi is so crude that it's the basis for all high efficiency engines today.... The reason it drinks gas is #1: Because it has Horse Power and #2: It's a heavy brick...

#1: can be helped by keeping your foot off the loud pedal.... Very hard to do.. I get 13.8MPG because I drive it like I stole it...

Not much you can do about #2

Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Points: 643, Level: 1 Points: 643, Level: 1 Points: 643, Level: 1

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C Touring
Member Number: 15734
Hi. I am presuming all you guys who have contributed to this thread are in petrol powered 300s ?? I have a (European, of course) 300C CRD (Diesel) Touring and regularly get over 30MPG on local running. On longer, motorway journeys it is usually 36/37MPG. But, then again, this is on UK gallons !!! Not sure how the performance differs from your big petrol lumps. Probably not quite as good in absolute terms but the 3 litre Mercedes diesel is quite powerful and with loads of torque; generally plenty for most circumstances. And I have a couple of Jags if I feel the need to go really quick. Cheers. Take care!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 64,248, Level: 1 Points: 64,248, Level: 1 Points: 64,248, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Car: '07 MSRT8 Bright Silver; '06 H.E. 300C Inferno Red MSRT: AHamr, Grp1, UCon, PrkSnr, 402flaps, Stealth HIDs, 22elite arm/cons, pin stripes, Predator H.E.: ProtGrpII, RearVES, Sunroof, UCon, Sirius, 402flaps/cowl, 22elite arm/VEScov, Stealth HID fogs
Member Number: 3755
Inflate your tires to at least 36-38 psi (generally 6 to 8 psi over the suggested pressure). This will give less rolling resistance and still maintain a "hot" rolling temperature less than max rated... even at 75-80 mph. Always monitor tire wear, but +6 to +8 isn't going to ruin your center tread in a hurry.

In love with my first wife & first car ('68 Charger) ... still have the wife
but now there's the Heritage Edition and a Magnum SRT8!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Points: 801, Level: 1 Points: 801, Level: 1 Points: 801, Level: 1

Car: 2008 chrysler 300C
Member Number: 18389
Bigger the wheels more rotating mass you have. Try ditching the 22's until gas prices come down a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement