how important are the black plastic skid plates - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Chrysler 300 & All LX Models Forums > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

General Discussion General Discussion topics about the Chrysler 300 and other LX models that don't fit within the specific listed categories below.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
ftv
Points: 1,397, Level: 1 Points: 1,397, Level: 1 Points: 1,397, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2005 chrysler 300c
Member Number: 18325
how important are the black plastic skid plates

so the front black shield pulled down , tried the clips and tie-downs keeps flopping,,, how important are these things?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Points: 1,889, Level: 1 Points: 1,889, Level: 1 Points: 1,889, Level: 1

Car: 2005 chrysler 300c
Member Number: 18177
I'm on the hiway a couple of days ago and every little bump I hear a scrapping sound and it's much worse when I'm on the brakes. Of coarse I 'm new to these 300's but have already heard of problems with these. I stop and look under the front and low and behold the skid plate is an inch off the ground and only the 2 back bolts holding it on and they were almost ripped off. I gave it a yank and pulled it out. I'm not planning on putting it back. Not many cars have them so I can't see it being a problem. my car is an AWD. What do you guys think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 22,114, Level: 1 Points: 22,114, Level: 1 Points: 22,114, Level: 1

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 3126
I think that while it's not absolutely necessary, it's there for a reason or Chrysler wouldn't have spent the $2 or whatever per car to put it there; they could have left it off and saved millions of dollars in costs over the production run but they felt it important enough to spend the money on it.

At the very least it helps keep the engine compartment cleaner when driving in bad weather or thru puddles; and I'm not sure but it may affect cooling and possibly aerodynamics too. On my "C" it is held on by 4 small screws, not plastic clips - - and it only takes a minute to remove at oil change time so it's not a hassle. Why remove it?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Major Contributing Member
Points: 38,120, Level: 1 Points: 38,120, Level: 1 Points: 38,120, Level: 1

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring
Member Number: 10038
Send a message via AIM to GROUNDED
I think its more for aerodynamics then anything. Im rolling with out it because it fit looser and looser after every oil change. When I drive as low as I do I don't have to worry about aerodynamics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenj View Post
I think that while it's not absolutely necessary, it's there for a reason or Chrysler wouldn't have spent the $2 or whatever per car to put it there; they could have left it off and saved millions of dollars in costs over the production run but they felt it important enough to spend the money on it.

At the very least it helps keep the engine compartment cleaner when driving in bad weather or thru puddles; and I'm not sure but it may affect cooling and possibly aerodynamics too. On my "C" it is held on by 4 small screws, not plastic clips - - and it only takes a minute to remove at oil change time so it's not a hassle. Why remove it?

Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Points: 376, Level: 1 Points: 376, Level: 1 Points: 376, Level: 1

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 29241
Send a message via Skype™ to irefice
I have the same problem...

I high-centered a couple days ago on someone's gravel driveway and immediately could feel the skid plate flapping on the pavement going home. Jiffy Lube said they tied it back on with some zip ties but it was still flapping immediately after.

I think I am going to rip it off and may/may not replace it. I'm not as low as you are, but pretty low still compared the the SUV I drove before this. Are you sure it is OK to leave it off? Won't the car take more road damage without it? [there are a lot of hills in Tacoma, I have to slow way down coming down them because I scrape in certain places every time if I don't]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUNDED View Post
I think its more for aerodynamics then anything. Im rolling with out it because it fit looser and looser after every oil change. When I drive as low as I do I don't have to worry about aerodynamics!

Last edited by irefice; 10-24-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Points: 9,072, Level: 1 Points: 9,072, Level: 1 Points: 9,072, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Car: 2013 Chrysler 300CSRT8
Member Number: 16879
Send a message via AIM to 07BBSRT8
If its installed and secured correctly it will not flap. My outlook on it is. If it was there from the factory, it should stay there, or be put back on. theres a reason for it to be there. its called the belly pan. IMO its probably just there to keep dirt and debris out of the engine bay and away from various components down there. If it was me i would put it back on. But it looks like i wont have that issue anymore. Peep my thread!
06' Charger R/T in magnesium...(GONE but not forgotten) 07' Brilliant Black 300C SRT8 Took its place...RIP 10-22-2010...1987 Buick Grand National...2013 300SRT8 Granite Crystal Black Vapor group, Radar Red Gut...94 Cobra Mustang Indy 500 pace car Replica under 10K miles #879-1000...08 SL550
Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
ADMINISTRATOR
Points: 233,152, Level: 1 Points: 233,152, Level: 1 Points: 233,152, Level: 1
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 "Black Beauty II"
Member Number: 538
If you had asked me 6 months ago, I would have said that they were just there for aerodynamics and to keep dirt out of the engine bay.

However, after my test runs this week, I have a different opinion. On my 06 SRT8, running with no belly shield, I have been having serious heat issues when running at high rpm on tight road circuits.

For the past 4 weeks, my car has undergone some work - mainly paint and appearance - but I did replace the belly pan and even did some more sealing in the lower areas. My objective was to force air to flow through the grille and the radiator - and reduce options for the air to go around.

For the last 2 days I have been running high RPM tests - +4000 RPM at various speeds and monitoring the engine oil temps.

The results: With the air forced through the rad, oil temps levelled off between 230-240 degrees, even with high revs at slow speeds.

Conclusion: These cars need the belly pan in place for proper engine cooling.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Points: 156, Level: 1 Points: 156, Level: 1 Points: 156, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 28116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Rider View Post

Conclusion: These cars need the belly pan in place for proper engine cooling.
This is absolutely true. The belly pan aids in transfering the heat back, away from the engine.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Points: 6,185, Level: 1 Points: 6,185, Level: 1 Points: 6,185, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring
Member Number: 10280
Not only that, but have you factored in that all the scratches, gouges and the reason its flopping would have been done to the actual underside of the car instead of some cheap plastic? Keep it there dude - trust me
Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Points: 3,619, Level: 1 Points: 3,619, Level: 1 Points: 3,619, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C Heritage Edition
Member Number: 25197
I would keep it on. Its there to also prevent water from spashing on the engine. I have seen engines seize from alot of cold water hitting the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement