Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

The real scoop on replacement keys.....

123K views 97 replies 36 participants last post by  37Plymouthontherise 
#1 ·
ok, so I have a used 2005 300C. It came with just one key. Wife took the car tonight and dropped the single key and the plastic case that attaches to your key fob cracked in half and she lost the missing pieces.

Does anyone know if there is an affordable solution to finding real replacement keys online (or anywhere else) that actually work for the 2005?

Since this was my only key, I will need 2 of them now - one for me and one for my wife. The pieces of my old key still work somehow but its only a matter of time before the rest of it falls apart too and I'll be locked out of my car.

When I called the dealer he told me to be sure to bring enough KY for the screwing I was going to get.

Are there any affordable alternatives for real working replacement keys other than the dealer?

#2 · (Edited)
you can get the cases on ebay for $30 or so..

you can get the keys on ebay for $50 - $75

here are a few links:

eBay Motors: 2005-2006-2007 CHRYSLER 300+300C Remote Key Shell/Case! (item 150294536728 end time Sep-21-08 02:31:42 PDT)

eBay Motors: 2005 2006 2007 Chrysler 300C 300 Remote key 56040652AD (item 370087017269 end time Sep-16-08 16:27:05 PDT)

do some searching on ebay..

make sure it is a CHARGER or 300C key, Magnum Keys do not have the trunk button.

you can get the replacement case and put your guts in it, that should work just fine.. Home Depot will cut the key for you or any lock smith for $5 or so..

now, adding a key..

in order to add a key you need either 2 original keys (to do it yourself)

or a dealer Star Scan and your Vehicle PIN number (only dealer can get)

most dealers (MOST) will program the keys if pre-cut as a courtesy, some will charge you an hours labor $75 -$100

I have found that Dodge dealers are a lot friendlier with regards to stuff like this..

also I would advise that you get one of the VALET keys..

store it somewhere safe, they if your fobs ever have issues you always have a second key on hand to program them yourself..

personally I have 4 keys 2 VALET and 2 Fobs so that I can program them if/when needed..

I also own a star scan now so if you are local to southern california, get your PIN from your dealer (they have to give it to you if you ask) and come see me, I can program them for you, no charge.

#4 ·
no, I need the car.

the key is coded to the PCM on the car, and linked via a PIN to your VIN

now.. some locksmiths MIGHT have a fob programmer, this is a device that allows them to synchronize the fobs..

though I have never seen one for the Chryslers, only toyota/lexus/Honda and a few others..

I do know they exist, but are VERY expensive (several thousand dollars) so most locksmiths will simply tell you to go to the dealer.

#5 ·
ok...I just bought the shell key from the link you sent me. Thanks for that!

I am considering purchasing two of the full replacement keys from the ebay link you sent. If I do, should I take them to home depot and have both of them cut exactly like the key that I have now that works and THEN bring it to the dealer to have programmed or just bring both blank keys to the dealer and let them cut the key and program them as well?

#6 ·
ok...I just bought the shell key from the link you sent me. Thanks for that!

I am considering purchasing two of the full replacement keys from the ebay link you sent. If I do, should I take them to home depot and have both of them cut exactly like the key that I have now that works and THEN bring it to the dealer to have programmed or just bring both blank keys to the dealer and let them cut the key and program them as well?

check on dealer pricing for cutting/programming..

my dealer will programm for free if they are precut and charges $75 for cutting/programming..

every dealer is different though..

make sure whomever cuts them uses Chrysler Key Blank 19 in the cutting machine..

there are 2 blanks... 19 is the correct one, the other is not..

#7 ·
One last question.....I appreciate all the info so far...

I notice on many of the aftermarket sites and ebay it will say the key is for a 2005 chrysler 300 C but the part number and FCC code they show on the key is different than what's on the back of my working key. Do you know if that matters or not or do I need to find a key with the same exact part number and FCC code as the key I have now?

Here's my code:

IC: 3521A-T04B
P/N: 56038757AE
FCC ID: KOBDT04A

#8 · (Edited)
One last question.....I appreciate all the info so far...

I notice on many of the aftermarket sites and ebay it will say the key is for a 2005 chrysler 300 C but the part number and FCC code they show on the key is different than what's on the back of my working key. Do you know if that matters or not or do I need to find a key with the same exact part number and FCC code as the key I have now?

Here's my code:

IC: 3521A-T04B
P/N: 56038757AE
FCC ID: KOBDT04A
Chrysler changed the keys last year:

here is your key: new part number is 56038757AH
eBay Motors: 2005 2006 2007 CHRYSLER 300 REMOTE HEAD KEY 56038757AH (item 370086126835 end time Sep-19-08 16:53:29 PDT)

this is the new keys they started issuing

either will work for your car, but the first one is a nicer key..

eBay Motors: UNCUT 05 06 07 CHRYSLER 300 300C TRANSPONDER REMOTE KEY (item 180289767842 end time Sep-18-08 15:15:41 PDT)

when Cerberus took over, Chrysler was forced to move away from Mercedes/Daimler parts bins.. so there are several new/different manufacturers out there for our cars now..

#14 · (Edited)
#20 ·
when i bought my car it had 1 key so i got a second one on ebay not realizing that you need 2 to get a third to program.
so now im not sure what to do since i have only 1 actual car key and not the second to do the programing.

i wonder if i can just put the 1 key in twice to do this programing of the new one i got on ebay ?

#21 ·
when i bought my car it had 1 key so i got a second one on ebay not realizing that you need 2 to get a third to program.
so now im not sure what to do since i have only 1 actual car key and not the second to do the programing.

i wonder if i can just put the 1 key in twice to do this programing of the new one i got on ebay ?

nope..

have to go to the dealer and ask them nicely to star scan it for you..

#22 · (Edited)
#28 ·
I have a 2004 durango and was looking up info on keys when i found this thread. we had 2 keys, one broke. went to the dealer and they said $140 for the key plys $40 to program.

I found a key on ebay but it says 2005-2008 but it looks exactly like my key ... will it work?

We do have the other key but it doesnt work ... so I am guessing we will def need to go to the dealer to get this new key programmed?

#29 ·
I have a 2004 durango and was looking up info on keys when i found this thread. we had 2 keys, one broke. went to the dealer and they said $140 for the key plys $40 to program.

I found a key on ebay but it says 2005-2008 but it looks exactly like my key ... will it work?

We do have the other key but it doesnt work ... so I am guessing we will def need to go to the dealer to get this new key programmed?

as I recall the 2004 was an SCI bus network not a CanBus, so I don't think it would work..

#32 · (Edited)
Those are all for a dakota, I have a durango ... they told me at the dealership that those keys would not work with my truck i had to buy the one with the built in keyless entry. looks just like this one:

http: //cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&item=170287265827&viewitem=

i cant post links yet, but you should be able to copy and paste that one without the space after http

#33 ·
Those are all for a dakota, I have a durango ... they told me at the dealership that those keys would not work with my truck i had to buy the one with the built in keyless entry. looks just like this one:

http: //cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&item=170287265827&viewitem=

i cant post links yet, but you should be able to copy and paste that one without the space after http

lol sorry

I searched the worng car.. my bad..

the 2004 - 2007 Durango all use the same key..

the Dakota is different from 2001 - 2005 and 2006 - current..

#39 ·
Well they told me no key of that sort will work. we have an 05 srt-4 and i asked well wouldnt that kind of key work b/c we dont really NEED to have 2 keyless entry just another key just in case and they said no other key will work but the one like i posted.

i live all the way in pa :( wish i lived closer b/c they will charge us $45 to program it ... does that include cutting they key also? I assume they would as part of the programming but I'm not sure if it's different if you don't buy it there

#42 ·
eh what *******s ... they just wanted me to spend the $$$ on the other key.

the valet key ... will that disarm the alarm if you unlock the door with it after the door has been locked with the keyless remote?

not when you unlock the door, but when you put into the ignition and turn the key to run it will

even the key fob one won't disarm from the door lock, if you arm the alarm and try to unlock with the key and not the remote the alarm sounds until a valid RFID key is placed into the ignition and turned to RUN..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.