Transmission Fluid change. - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
General Discussion General Discussion topics about the Chrysler 300 and other LX models that don't fit within the specific listed categories below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Points: 44,526, Level: 1 Points: 44,526, Level: 1 Points: 44,526, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transmission Fluid change.

I've done 137,000 miles and I don't believe the ATF has ever been changed.

So something for the weekend sir?

My plan is to;

Remove the oil pan and filter.

Replace the gasket and filter.

Re-install the oil pan.

Refill the transmission with 7 qts of ATF +4
(I will try and measure what comes out, and replace with equivalent amount)

Does this sound like a respectable plan, or am I a little off-base?

What ATF does anyone recommend?

Thanks
Steve

07 - SRT8, 93CAI Predator Tune, Diablosport Catch-can, AFE II CAI, Magnaflow with cut-outs, BP Ultimate ONLY!

69 Camaro - Tricked 350, 750CFM Holley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned by AutoGuide
Points: 54,809, Level: 1 Points: 54,809, Level: 1 Points: 54,809, Level: 1

need a star scan to do it. the ATF has to be 80 degree Celsius to do it to get proper fill reading, there is a whole procedure on it, there is no dipstick on these cars, so unless you have the Miller Tool and a star scan to measure the temp (or a dash hawk as it has the trans temp reading) you won't have the proper amount in the transfer case..

I do all my own maintenance, but this is one thing I don't do, I pay the $150 at the dealer for the service, and good thing too cause the dealer farked it up on me awhile back and it caused my torque converter to seize and destroyed the transmission and the crank shaft and I got both replaced under warranty (tech didn't secure the filter, nor check the ATF level at proper temp)
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Points: 3,865, Level: 1 Points: 3,865, Level: 1 Points: 3,865, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
need a star scan to do it. the ATF has to be 80 degree Celsius to do it to get proper fill reading, there is a whole procedure on it, there is no dipstick on these cars, so unless you have the Miller Tool and a star scan to measure the temp (or a dash hawk as it has the trans temp reading) you won't have the proper amount in the transfer case..

I do all my own maintenance, but this is one thing I don't do, I pay the $150 at the dealer for the service, and good thing too cause the dealer farked it up on me awhile back and it caused my torque converter to seize and destroyed the transmission and the crank shaft and I got both replaced under warranty (tech didn't secure the filter, nor check the ATF level at proper temp)
I resect your responces on many posts on this forum but I disagree with the need for a star scan. ALL tranny fluid expands when heated , all types , synthetic and regular oil. .All cars for the past 60 years with automatic trannys that CAME WITH dip sticks always had a cold , warm and hot level. This is not rocket science, and proper procedure for checking the level was always on a FULLY WARMED UP tranny. To reach a fully warmed up tranny it must be DRIVEN for 20 to 30 minutes at highway speeds, thru all gears.Now we come to our cars and a dealer tech does not have 30 min to waste warming up a tranny to check the level. Labor time is MONEY. He plugs in the star scan gets the tranny temp and cross reference to the temp chart and he gets the miller dip stick and has the level in 5 min labor. Any do it your selfer has the time though to fully warm up the tranny, so a star scan is not needed. A do it your selfer HINT , 2007 and newer have a thermostat in line with the tranny cooler. It opens at 160 F . When you feel warm tranny fluid flowing at the cooler on top of the a/c condencer you know your tranny is at the point of fully warmed 160-180 F. This brings me to my testing with my Mlller dip stick, I have gotten readings of 30MM cold, 50MM warm, 70 MM hot (a fully warm up tranny.) The Miller dip stick or Mercedes model is needed but not the star scan if you change your own tranny fluid.
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Points: 1,063, Level: 1 Points: 1,063, Level: 1 Points: 1,063, Level: 1

Disregard. I just googled the subject and found the answer.

Daniel
2006 300C Heritage Edition
Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
186 T-stat w/ fan mod
DS Predator 93 CAI tune
AFE Stage II CAI
Intake Silencer delete
35% tint (not dark enough)
Exhaust work is soon to come
Catch Can is also soon to come

Last edited by Veehawk; 10-27-2009 at 06:58 PM.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 49,072, Level: 1 Points: 49,072, Level: 1 Points: 49,072, Level: 1
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veehawk View Post
If our trannies don't have dipsticks since they're dealership serviced, where do you put this Miller dipstick?
There is a dipstick tube, just no dipstick in it, at the top right rear of the engine (5.7L HEMI anyway). It's capped off with a black plastic cap in the top end of the dipstick tube with something like "dealer use only" written on it.

2005 300C BRILLIANT BLACK, DRL, Mesh Grill/Vents, Chrome Pillars & Fender Trim, MDS Indicator, Quad Brake Lights, Tinted Windows, De-Molded, K&N Aircharger, 180 T-Stat, Flashing Sidemarkers, Predator Cust. Perf. 93 CAI Tune
1997 MUSTANG COBRA 'VERT, TRIPLE BLACK, Vortech S/C'd., ECT Mod., 4.10 Rear, 18" Saleen Wheels
1950 FORD TUDOR FLATHEAD V8 - Sold 6/27/14 after 16 years of fun.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Banned by AutoGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I resect your responces on many posts on this forum but I disagree with the need for a star scan. ALL tranny fluid expands when heated , all types , synthetic and regular oil. .All cars for the past 60 years with automatic trannys that CAME WITH dip sticks always had a cold , warm and hot level. This is not rocket science, and proper procedure for checking the level was always on a FULLY WARMED UP tranny. To reach a fully warmed up tranny it must be DRIVEN for 20 to 30 minutes at highway speeds, thru all gears.Now we come to our cars and a dealer tech does not have 30 min to waste warming up a tranny to check the level. Labor time is MONEY. He plugs in the star scan gets the tranny temp and cross reference to the temp chart and he gets the miller dip stick and has the level in 5 min labor. Any do it your selfer has the time though to fully warm up the tranny, so a star scan is not needed. A do it your selfer HINT , 2007 and newer have a thermostat in line with the tranny cooler. It opens at 160 F . When you feel warm tranny fluid flowing at the cooler on top of the a/c condencer you know your tranny is at the point of fully warmed 160-180 F. This brings me to my testing with my Mlller dip stick, I have gotten readings of 30MM cold, 50MM warm, 70 MM hot (a fully warm up tranny.) The Miller dip stick or Mercedes model is needed but not the star scan if you change your own tranny fluid.
so with your method you are @ 70mm at full tranny temp (which should be 167 - 171F)

as such you are over filled by approx 5mm according to the Service Manual Specs.

5mm is not a lot, but as stated in the SM:

6. Check transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.
Note: The true transmission oil temperature can only be read by a scan tool in REVERSE or any forward
gear position. (Refer to 21 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION- NAG1/TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR/
PARK-NEUTRAL SWITCH - OPERATION)

I attached it for Steve to review....

I don't disagree that you can do it yourself - I personally won't; more now than ever because of what occured when the dealer tech screwed up..

and just FYI, the dealer is supposed to preheat the ATF to approx 80C (i.e. 176F) prior to pouring it in, as is the correct procedure according to Chrysler.

and any Scan Tool with Chrysler NAG1 Support can read the temp of the transmission (but only when transmission is in Reverse or Forward Gear, Park or Neutral closes the sending unit and the scan tool returns the Coolant Temp, not the transmission temp)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ATF change procedure.pdf (1.59 MB, 2019 views)
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:52 PM
GMF
Points: 7,752, Level: 1 Points: 7,752, Level: 1 Points: 7,752, Level: 1

Quote:
Boy, that testimonial sure makes me want to take mine to the dealer for ATF service.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM
GMF

Quote:
and just FYI, the dealer is supposed to preheat the ATF to approx 80C (i.e. 176F) prior to pouring it in, as is the correct procedure according to Chrysler.
Where is that in the pdf file you posted?
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned by AutoGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF View Post
Boy, that testimonial sure makes me want to take mine to the dealer for ATF service.

look at it this way, if I had screwed the pooch myself I would not have gotten a new motor and transmission... so dealer's screw up worked in my benefit.. and luckily said dealer is now closed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF View Post
Where is that in the pdf file you posted?

should be linked at the bottom of my post, it is the procedure to change the ATF.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:34 PM
GMF

Quote:
look at it this way, if I had screwed the pooch myself I would not have gotten a new motor and transmission... so dealer's screw up worked in my benefit.. and luckily said dealer is now closed..

should be linked at the bottom of my post, it is the procedure to change the ATF.
I read through the procedure. There is nothing in there about pre-heating the ATF before pouring it in the transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement