Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Crankshaft Position Sensor...

60K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  customaudioman 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 300C 5.7L, and want to know if I can replace the CPS fairly easy or will I have to take it to a shop. I was quoted $630 for parts & labor... Money is tight right now, so if I can replace it myself I need to! Where is it located, and what will I have to do? Thanks in advance guys.....

#2 ·
1. Disconnect battery

2. Remove the 3 bolts (15mm socket) that hold the starter in.

3. Move starter to the side. You do not need to remove it, it will sit to the side.

4. Locate sensor, you will have to unplug before removing the sensor, to get the sensor unplugged you will have to rest the starter against your hand to have enough wire to get the sensor unplugged. The plug is the same as the one on the coil packs so you might want to check out how they operate before you try to unplug the crankshaft sensor. Use a 10mm socket to remove the bolt.

5. Apply dielectric grease to the plug, apply a small amount of grease to the o-ring and reinsert the sensor in the block, reconnect the plug, and tighten the bolt for the sensor.

6. Replace starter and tighten the three bolts. Remember to include the bracket on the top bolt that holds the wires in place.

7. Reconnect battery

dont ask questions....I stole this, so I havent done it myself!

#3 ·
1. Disconnect battery

2. Remove the 3 bolts (15mm socket) that hold the starter in.

3. Move starter to the side. You do not need to remove it, it will sit to the side.

4. Locate sensor, you will have to unplug before removing the sensor, to get the sensor unplugged you will have to rest the starter against your hand to have enough wire to get the sensor unplugged. The plug is the same as the one on the coil packs so you might want to check out how they operate before you try to unplug the crankshaft sensor. Use a 10mm socket to remove the bolt.

5. Apply dielectric grease to the plug, apply a small amount of grease to the o-ring and reinsert the sensor in the block, reconnect the plug, and tighten the bolt for the sensor.

6. Replace starter and tighten the three bolts. Remember to include the bracket on the top bolt that holds the wires in place.

7. Reconnect battery

dont ask questions....I stole this, so I havent done it myself!
Not asking you the question but the forum in general - I have removed the starter and see the sensor - how does one disconnect the wire plug? The write up says something about it is the same as a coil pack - I see the 2 little red tabs - hard to get a hand on them.

#4 ·
the 'two red tabs' will actually a single slide-in blade that locks the plug in place, (if all the other electric sockets on the car are to be believed). If you feel one end it'll be completely flat. The other end will have a raised edge to get a thumbnail or small flat screwdriver onto...slide it out from that end. Usually you'll only have to move it untill the other end disappears into the black 'tunnel'. That'll let you pull the plug off the sensor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.