Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Where does the air come in?

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Double Life 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This may sound a little silly, but does anyone know where the air comes in, from the outside of the car?

I just replaced my CAI filter, and noticed a large hole at the bottom where the filter sits. I shined a bright light down the hole and couldn't find where the light went to! And that was in a dark garage.
I know that some of the air comes from behind the headlight, but I'd be damned if I knew where the bottom hole goes to!

Duane

#2 ·
The system will draw air from inside that chamber below the hole. It is not air tight but there is, on some models, another air intake silencer chamber below that hole.

Best way to tell is to pull the front wheel & tire, peel back the splashguard and look.

#3 ·
That must retard the airflow massively. I thought that the right front spoiler hole next to the fog lamps were actually for the air filter.

So you are saying that the hole directs to somewhere behind the mud guard?

#4 ·
Yes and no... it's kinda a mixed bag of results with positives and negatives. Yes it does restrict flow a little as the unit behind the bumper is a silencer, but not enough to make a huge 'ah ha' moment to hp when removed. It will make the car feel a little more responsive and sheds a healthy lump of weight! On the other side, it helps keep the filter element less exposed, keeps out a bit more water and keeps the intake quite.

Now that being said... get it out of there! Lol... it's heavy, restricts a little sound and unless your driving in a river you'll be fine with the water situation...

...and yes the openings do supply some air in a round about way, but there is nothing ducted in there... I built one for the drivers side duct right to my filter... made absolutely no difference to temps or power, don't sweat it. :)

#5 ·
Ok. Thanks for that.
More info on getting this thing out! I have a 2nd Gen, btw.
Anyone else had experience doing this?
Any pics?

#6 ·
Not sure on second gens, first gens you have to pull the bumper cover and its two bolts bud... easy breezy.

#8 ·
I've been searching and looked on You Tube prior to posting this thread, but nothing.
I'll keep searching.

#10 ·
No now, no.
Just interested in increasing airflow to the CAI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.