Cai & catback exhaust - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Performance Forums > Intake & Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 151, Level: 1 Points: 151, Level: 1 Points: 151, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300c
Member Number: 43240
Cai & catback exhaust

Hello everyone I just recently purchased a 2007 300c I'm looking to do modification from the stock intake and exhaust system. Looking to add more horsepower to the car. Any ideas on whats the best CAI to purchase and the best sounding exhaust system that adds power? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Points: 1,215, Level: 1 Points: 1,215, Level: 1 Points: 1,215, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C Heritage Edition
Member Number: 42796
Re: Cai & catback exhaust

Horsepower claims and personal preference will vary quite a bit from person to person. I have a 2006 300c Heritage with a Mopar cold air intake and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. I really like my setup, but I'm sure I would like others too. As far as exhaust goes there are a ton of sound clips on youtube, see what sound you like from different manufacturers. You will get lots of opinions, but all that really matters is that you like it! Welcome to the forum and make sure you introduce yourself in the new member introduction thread. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxC View Post
Horsepower claims and personal preference will vary quite a bit from person to person. I have a 2006 300c Heritage with a Mopar cold air intake and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. I really like my setup, but I'm sure I would like others too. As far as exhaust goes there are a ton of sound clips on youtube, see what sound you like from different manufacturers. You will get lots of opinions, but all that really matters is that you like it! Welcome to the forum and make sure you introduce yourself in the new member introduction thread. Good luck!

Thanks for the info and I will post something in the new members forum as well is your mopar cai go all the way into the fender well or does it sit on top?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

It sits right in the place where the factory air box sat.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaxC For This Useful Post:
thaboyfast (02-14-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Points: 48,427, Level: 1 Points: 48,427, Level: 1 Points: 48,427, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2006 Chrysler SRT8
Member Number: 11602
Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,439 Posts
As far as an intake, do you want an open filter or a closed box system? K&N, LMI, AFE all make good open filter systems. Here's my LMI / AirHammer:

Exhaust is pretty subjective. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. I'd listen to some clips or view some videos and see if there is one you like over the other. There are some good choices out there and I'd suggest you make sure you get something you think sounds good, not what someone else says that sounds good.

IMHO, the best sounding one is the Corsa catback. Hugely expensive, though. I have two Magnaflow mufflers on my car and really like the sound. Since I have an SRT8 and no MDS, I also pulled off my resonators at the rear. Not something I'd recommend for a 5.7L owner as when they slip into MDS, the exhaust resonance "drone" is terrible.

Magnaflow/6.1L/High RPM/WOT:

The Following User Says Thank You to MADDOG For This Useful Post:
thaboyfast (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
As far as an intake, do you want an open filter or a closed box system? K&N, LMI, AFE all make good open filter systems. Here's my LMI / AirHammer:

Exhaust is pretty subjective. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. I'd listen to some clips or view some videos and see if there is one you like over the other. There are some good choices out there and I'd suggest you make sure you get something you think sounds good, not what someone else says that sounds good.

IMHO, the best sounding one is the Corsa catback. Hugely expensive, though. I have two Magnaflow mufflers on my car and really like the sound. Since I have an SRT8 and no MDS, I also pulled off my resonators at the rear. Not something I'd recommend for a 5.7L owner as when they slip into MDS, the exhaust resonance "drone" is terrible.

Magnaflow/6.1L/High RPM/WOT:

MOV018 - YouTube
Thanks for the info appreciate it is there a big difference from having a open cai or a closed one and I looked into corsa exhaust it's really expensive. I also looked at the slp loudmouth 1 system which is like 800 dollars less. Do you have the programmer for your car as well?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Maddog is right. The drone from my Magnaflow with the 5.7 is awful. Pure awful. I don't have a programmer......yet, so I run autostick on the highway to avoid MDS kicking in. The sound at all other levels is nice, though, especially on startup.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad to help. SLP makes some good stuff. I just went cheap as the stock pipes aren't that bad so I didn't really feel I needed to replace them with a full catback system.

I did notice a difference between the closed Volant CAI I initially had on the car and the open filter type. My Butt Dyno measured a gazillion HP increase! Actually, throttle response improved some more and the sound was awesome compared to the closed system.

I do have a programmer and a custom tune as well.

Keep in mind I have an SRT8 so I did not keep the resonators.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Glad to help. SLP makes some good stuff. I just went cheap as the stock pipes aren't that bad so I didn't really feel I needed to replace them with a full catback system.

I did notice a difference between the closed Volant CAI I initially had on the car and the open filter type. My Butt Dyno measured a gazillion HP increase! Actually, throttle response improved some more and the sound was awesome compared to the closed system.

I do have a programmer and a custom tune as well.

Keep in mind I have an SRT8 so I did not keep the resonators.

Yeah I like the way the slp sounds as well as the corsa exhaust. What are the resonators used for is it better to take those off or to leave them on if you have a srt8 or a C? I was looking at the intune by diablosport possible invest in that are they easy to use?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you have an SRT8 (6.1L first gen) you don't have MDS so drone is not that big of an issue, so I chose to remove the resonators. If you have a 5.7L (any generation) then you have MDS and you should leave the resonators on or get a catback system that has resonators.

The InTune is the current generation DiabloSport programmer. I have not used one but the manual looks pretty straight forward. The tunes in that unit are pretty much the same as the what you will find in the Trinity or the original Predator. It has a better GUI than the Predator, the speed of updating is quicker, but it does not have the real time monitoring features as the Trinity. All three units have the same logging features, custom tune upload features and "canned tune" (the tune packages that come with the unit) modification features.

I have no reason to upgrade my tuner but if I needed or wanted to, I'd personally go for the InTune.
The Following User Says Thank You to MADDOG For This Useful Post:
thaboyfast (02-16-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement