Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Intake silencer removal photos?

27K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  silver06hemic 
#1 ·
He all. I have removed the air cleaner box, I can see the duct that comes up to the box. How do I proceed to remove the silencer? Do I need to remove the wheel arch cover?

Cheers.

#3 ·
Hi Bruno. I removed the air box, I see what must be a 4" plastic tube sticking up from under the gaurd. Is this the silencer? I don't know the best way to get under there, it looks like I could remove the covers from under the gaurd and in the wheel arch. Is the the way to do it?

#4 · (Edited)
I heard the same thing, air silencer is gone on the 2007's.

Do you have a photo of the inside of your air box?

I would like to know if the tube is gone and you can see into the wheel well area.

Here is a pic looking down into the air tube on my car.

Is this how a 2007 car and later looks?

Here is a thread on how to remove the silencer.
You have to remove the wheel well liner to get the silencer out.

Removing the stock air silencer. * - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

Attachments

#6 ·
I heard the same thing, air silencer is gone on the 2007's.

Do you have a photo of the inside of your air box?

I would like to know if the tube is gone and you can see into the wheel well area.

Here is a pic looking down into the air tube on my car.

Is this how a 2007 car and later looks?
Yep, took a torch out to the car, it's definetely got the silencer!

Thanks for the link. Will remove now!

#8 ·
Too bad I didn't see this until now.

About a week or so ago I started a thread on my RDP CAI install which involved the "challenge" of removing the so-called silencer. It had a couple of pics that may have been handy.

Hope it went better, faster, neater than the removal of mine.

#11 ·
It is a "muffler" for your intake. Removing it just makes the intake sound deeper, more throaty. Also, reduces the cars weight by about 3lbs :biggrin:

Reactions: Jumpback
#14 · (Edited)
I was at the dealer about a month ago and non-chalantly opened the air box and removed the filter on a new Heritage Edition. I can't remember if it was a 2007 or 2008. But the inside of the air box and tube looked exactly like my 2005.

So either the silencer is still on the cars, or the whole contraption has been redesigned where the bulby silencer has been removed and the only thing remaining is the plastic intake tube.

Attachments

#16 ·
I can assure everyone that they still use these silencers on the 08's. I just purchased my 08 SRT Design, and pulled away the plastic panels under the engine to give a look see. I found the silencer was there, and honestly it looked like a poor way to pull air to the engine, so I pulled it out. I then took it a bit farther. They claim this to be a cold air intake, or if you add the airhammer or other intakes, they claim to be cold air. This is not true. You are still pulling air from the engine compartment, it's just through ducting facing away from the engine.

What I decided to do is take the plastic guard out of the opening next to the fog lights. I neatly cut out the top half, and part of the bottom half. This will let good cold air to rush into the cavity below the air box. I also took the air intake silencer, and cut it off, yet had the downpipe and bracket to mount up, and help the air make it's way to the air box. I think this will be a strong set up. It looks great, and you really can't see the difference, yet you can hear a better throaty sound from the engine at WOT. Also, I can securely say that now I have cold air rushing, and hence a cold air intake. Other wise, I would have only had an intake that pointed away from the engine.

I wanted to add this update, but I don't have any pictures. It's simple though, and a good mod. Thanks for all the comments and info above, and I hope maybe this helps some as well.

Reactions: Rhys Turner
#20 ·
The silencer intake hole is well protected from the elements, being inside the front wheel well area. You would have to drive the car into a river/lake/puddle about 16 inches deep to suck water into the intake.
This pic shows the silencer installed on my car. If the silencer was removed, the hole at the bottom of the air box looks to be about 1 to 2 inches higher than the bottom of the silencer intake hole. So the silencer may actually be at more risk of sucking in water than without a silencer.

#21 ·
Awesome picture of this. About the water, I completely agree. If you drive it through a huge water gathering like when drains clog up in low road areas, and sit it there, and it sucks up water... Otherwise, I am completely in agreement w/ a note that someone put above, which is, the air filter is there for a reason.

I guess I wonder, is it worth it to just get a K&M flat filter to improve flow, instead of a big new CAI.... I was surprised w/ the inside of the intake tube being very smooth, except for the bend, the inside of that had ridges. I can't see, simply, getting rid of those ridges giving much power...?

#22 ·
Did anyone read my post about cutting out the vents by the light, for a true cold air rush for the intake... Did that seem useful, or is anyone in agreement?

#23 · (Edited)
There have been several threads about removing the rubber vent insert, and different variations on improving air flow to the airbox.

In this thread someone did what you plan to do.
The extra wind forced the wheel well liner to rub the tire.
Not sure if this was a fluke, or if you need to try to reinforce the liner, or block the air flow hitting the liner.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/exterior-modifications/21298-dont-do.html

#25 ·
You can remove the plastic vent insert and leave it at that. You just have to keep an eye on the wheel well liner to ensure it does not start to rub on the tire.

Some folks have taken it one step further and added a tube from the vent hole up to the hole at the bottom of the air box in the engine bay. The idea of a tube is to create more (cooler) air velocity into the air box, or where a ram CAI air filter would sit in the engine bay.

#27 ·
What if I told you all that I am working on producing an actual RAM air for the 300. It would be a plastic or metal tube that would hook into the existing air box, from the bottom, and tunnel down to the vent holes next to the fog lamps. It would attach securely to the mounts used for the vent covers now. This would create an actual ram air, that would help boost power. I think this would definetly add horsepower by forcing the induction w/ cool outside air. If the air pressure is enough to push in fender walls, guess how much air pressure would be forced into the intake.

Would any of you be interested in this?
Do you think there would be demand for this product?

#29 ·
I am actually talking about the vents next to the fog lights. The inserts have to be removed, but I found out that the Mopar CAI already does this... Oh well, just a thought.

#31 ·
Does anyone have a picture of the SRT8 air intake stock from the factory. I read that these have better air flow, and are differently designed compared to the 300C's and SRTD's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.