Aiming headlights - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Appearance Forums > Lighting Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Lighting Discussion This area is for discussion of all things related to lighting. Such as: HIDs, Turn Signal Bulbs, LED tails, Interior Xenon bulbs, etc. for the Chrysler 300 or other LX models.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 3,023, Level: 1 Points: 3,023, Level: 1 Points: 3,023, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8
Member Number: 12614
Aiming headlights

Does any body know how to adjust or aim our OEM HID headlights.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Points: 29,486, Level: 1 Points: 29,486, Level: 1 Points: 29,486, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 3447
Looks to be a vertical adjustment screw per the service manual... the export model adds a horizontal adjustment. Look somewhere around the light for the screw.

never seen or done it myself. Anyone with better instructions?

MODS: 22elite Console cover, Formula One 35%, Blastin Bob's 5db resonator delete, KW V2's, Hotchkis sways, 3-Piece Intro 311 22's, Stoptech slotted rotors(Zeckhausen), Fenders rolled, TZ wingless grille, SS Braided brake lines, ATE super blue DOT 4 fluid, SPC camber kit, Headlight Armor 50% tint, Jonstintedtails.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Points: 355,090, Level: 1 Points: 355,090, Level: 1 Points: 355,090, Level: 1
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Car: 2005 300C SRT8
Member Number: 1493
Here's the alignment procedure as per the service manual. It looks a little complicated, but I think if you take it one step at a time it'll probably be not too bad. I suggest printing this out. These steps cover all front lights including HID, non HID and export along with fog light aiming.

FRONT LAMP AIMING

VEHICLE PREPARATION FOR LAMP ALIGNMENT
1. Check for and correct any burnt out bulbs.
2. Repair or replace any faulty, worn or damaged body or suspension components that could hinder proper lamp alignment.
3. Verify proper tire inflation pressures.
4. Remove any accumulations of mud, snow or ice from the vehicle underbody and clean the front lamp lenses.
5. Verify that there is no load in the vehicle (cargo or passengers), except for the driver.
6. The fuel tank should be Full. Add 2.94 kilograms (6.5 pounds) of weight over the fuel tank for each estimated gallon of missing fuel.
7. Verify correct vehicle suspension height.

LAMP ALIGNMENT SCREEN PREPARATION

The procedure that follows will prepare a suitable front lamp alignment screen.
1. Tape a line on a level floor 7.62 meters (25 feet) away from and parallel to the flat wall that will be used as the lamp alignment screen. The level floor will be used as the horizontal zero reference.
2. An adjacent wall or floor member that is perpendicular to the alignment screen can be used as the vertical zero reference. If there is no adjacent wall or floor member that is perpendicular to the screen, tape a second line on the floor perpendicular to both the alignment screen and the first line, and outboard of either side of where the vehicle will be positioned. This will be used as the vertical zero reference.
3. Position the vehicle so that the side of the vehicle is parallel to the vertical zero reference, and so that the front of the lamp lenses are in the vertical plane of the parallel line taped on the floor 7.62 meters (25 feet away from the screen.
4. Rock the vehicle side-to-side three times to allow the suspension to stabilize.
5. Jounce the front suspension three times by pushing downward on the front bumper and releasing.
6. Measure the distance between the optical center of one of the lamps being aimed (head or fog) and the floor (horizontal zero reference). Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a piece of tape placed horizontally to the floor. This line will be used as the lamp horizontal reference.
7. Measure the distance between the vertical zero reference and the optical center of the nearest lamp being aimed (head or fog). Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a piece of tape placed vertically across the appropriate (head or fog) lamp horizontal reference. This is the centerline reference for the first lamp.
8. Measure the distance on center between the first and the second lamp being aimed. Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a second piece of tape placed vertically across the appropriate (head or fog) lamp horizontal reference. This is the centerline reference for the second lamp.

HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT
There are three different kinds of headlamp aiming procedures:

• Visual Aim Optical Left (VOL) - 300C with halogen and 300C w/HID.

• Visual Aim Optical Right (VOR) - 300/300 Touring and Dodge Magnum.

• Export - 300C w/HID - Export vehicles.
The VOL or VOR is embossed on the lower front of each headlamp unit.

VOL HEADLAMP AIMING

With the horizontal centerline of the headlamp (2) transferred on the wall, measure down 53 mm (2.1 in). This line (1) will be the vertical aiming mark. Using the left side of the headlamp vertical centerline (3), adjust the headlamp unit so the residual light from the headlamp, not the hot spot, is even with the line (1) that was marked previously 53 mm (2.1 in) below the horizontal centerline (2). The ideal alignment should be (5). The right headlamp aiming will be the same, but using the area left of right headlamp vertical centerline (not shown).

1. Turn the headlamps On and select the Low beams.

2. Rotate the headlamp vertical adjustment screw (and horizontal on export) on each lamp to adjust the beam height as required.

VOR HEADLAMP AIMING

With the horizontal centerline of the headlamp (1) transferred on the wall, this line (1) will be the vertical aiming mark. Using the right side of the headlamp vertical centerline (2 for the left and 4 for the right), adjust the headlamp unit so the residual light from the headlamp is even with the horizontal centerline (1). The ideal alignment should be (5).

2. Rotate the headlamp vertical adjustment screw (and horizontal on export) on each lamp to adjust the beam height as required.

EXPORT HEADLAMP AIMING

With the horizontal centerline of the headlamp (1) transferred on the wall, measure down 76 mm (3 in). This line (6) will be the vertical aiming mark. Using the intersecting point (5) of the horizontal centerline (6) and the vertical centerline (2) for the left headlamp, adjust the headlamp unit horizontally and vertically so (5) is the intersecting point at lines (6 and 2). For the right headlamp unit, cover up the left headlamp and follow the same procedure but intersecting at (6 and 4).

FOG LAMP ALIGNMENT

A properly aimed front fog lamp will project a pattern on the alignment screen 100 millimeters (4 inches) below the fog lamp centerline and straight ahead of the lamp.

1. Turn the fog lamps On.

2. Rotate the fog lamp vertical adjustment screw (2) on each lamp to adjust the beam height as required.

------------------------------

Bernie

2005 300C SRT8 - #72 of 252 (excl. 11 pilots) - #10 of 35 Canadian SRT8's built
2008 Harley Davidson FLSTF Fatboy - Vance & Hines Big Shots STGD with FuelPak tune.
2008 Jeep GC SRT8 - Custom Build/Custom Delivered by SRT - 1 of 1 in Canada
Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Points: 424, Level: 1 Points: 424, Level: 1 Points: 424, Level: 1

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 21164
I simply carry a torx driver and when on a dark, level road in the country, I tweak the headlight adjustments to where I want them in the real world. It'll take a little time, but they will be where I want them.
RED SEA

Last edited by RED SEA; 02-22-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rambit: How do you access the adjusting screw on the fog light? Is the view shown from the front or the back? And does the instruction apply to a 300C? RED SEA

Last edited by RED SEA; 02-22-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
Points: 355,090, Level: 1 Points: 355,090, Level: 1 Points: 355,090, Level: 1
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Car: 2005 300C SRT8
Member Number: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED SEA View Post
Rambit: How do you access the adjusting screw on the fog light? Is the view shown from the front or the back? And does the instruction apply to a 300C? RED SEA
Sorry, I was trying to reply earlier, but my computer locked up.

There's no access from the front for the fog lights and the above instructions are for all models including exports. I've never done this myself, but it looks to me the fog light drawing is a view from the back.

Bernie
Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Points: 987, Level: 1 Points: 987, Level: 1 Points: 987, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300 Limited
Member Number: 19525
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED SEA View Post
I simply carry a torx driver and when on a dark, level road in the country, I tweak the headlight adjustments to where I want them in the real world. It'll take a little time, but they will be where I want them.
RED SEA
x2

Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks to Sniper and Rambit for help with aiming the fogs. It looks like I peel back some fender well lining and attack them from the back. From the diagram, a tool (screwdriver, torx?) is applied at the 12 o'clock on the housing. RED SEA
Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Points: 1,320, Level: 1 Points: 1,320, Level: 1 Points: 1,320, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 26614
So 25 feet back from the wall, but how high from the floor is the center point for each headlight? I just did aftermarket projector headlights, and It looks fine to me, but every now and than someone will hit me with their highbeams. especially on bumpy roads. Just want to double check and make sure I aimed them right.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Points: 2,124, Level: 1 Points: 2,124, Level: 1 Points: 2,124, Level: 1
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Car: 2008 Chrysler 300
Member Number: 22224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
x2
same lol

E&G double mesh grille, eibach springs & swaybar kit, 6000k hid kit, magnaflow catback dual exhaust, modified afe stage 2 intake, Modern Muscle 71mm throttle body, 20" falken executive on nitto 555's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement