How much power can AWD system handle ? - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Power Train Discuss all topics related to engine performance (heads/cams/rotating assembly), Superchargers & Turbos here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,132, Level: 1 Points: 1,132, Level: 1 Points: 1,132, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much power can AWD system handle ?

I have a 2006 300c awd with a full exhaust and gsm high boost kit.It put out about 400 rwhp and the trans held up fine .My new package will be about 790 hp at the crank and i am sure it will be over 600 rwhp,what is out there for trans upgrades ? I assume that I will start breaking stuff when I hammer it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 17,146, Level: 1 Points: 17,146, Level: 1 Points: 17,146, Level: 1

Hey bro you need to dyno your car. There is no way your getting those #'s. Do a search on the forums to see why I said what I said.

Had a Satin Jade 300c now totaled. Now have a Black on Black fully loaded 300c AWD. What can I say, I love the car.

Volant CAI, JBA headers, JBA cat-less mids, Borla exhaust, Inertia Street heads, Spartan cam 114 LSA, underdrive pulley, 180 thermo, programmer, monterey super8, bellmawr hotels, hotel virtual tours, still looking for a stronger AWD trans though.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Elite Contributing Member
Points: 20,327, Level: 1 Points: 20,327, Level: 1 Points: 20,327, Level: 1

I'm not sure as to what tranny upgrades there are but bump for ya!!

-Aaron
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 9,384, Level: 1 Points: 9,384, Level: 1 Points: 9,384, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlquist
I have a 2006 300c awd with a full exhaust and gsm high boost kit.It put out about 400 rwhp and the trans held up fine .My new package will be about 790 hp at the crank and i am sure it will be over 600 rwhp,what is out there for trans upgrades ? I assume that I will start breaking stuff when I hammer it .
So...to date you have upgraded the exhaust and put on the GSM sc with 8 psi and you think you have about 400 hp at the wheels? Have you dyno'd that? It certainly matches the numbers published by GSM.

And...you plan another upgrade package to add 200 hp at the wheels? What is this "new package" that you are referring to? Are you planning any upgrade to the heads and cam or are you going to 15 psi of boost?...never mind...I found your earlier post http://www.300cforums.com/forums/per...light=ahlquist. You are putting in a 6.1 with ported heads and 14 psi of boost.

You also say in that post that you blew 2 rods through the side of the motor and had to rebuild the tranny? That seems to contradict the "held up fine" statement in this thread? It also seems that you've picked up an extra 70 hp since that post. Please explain?

I have not searched for or seen a source for upgraded AWD transmission parts that fit this car...a Bugatti's would undoubtedly hold up but the fit, availability and price might be a problem.

I'll let you know how my little adventure turns out in about a week. My sc just got in last Friday. My Chrysler shop had to pull the engine to put in my new cam so it has taken a little longer than planned. The new heads are on and hopefully by the end of the week the sc install will be completed. I will be starting at 6 psi...depending on how the car handles that I may add more boost but I'll take it one step at a time.

If the aftermarket claims are accurate I will be between 650-700 hp at the flywheel which probably means 500-550 at the wheels. From what I've heard and read there is a good chance that factory transmission will hold up with those numbers...but we shall see!

275/40/20 Pirelli's; Detata DD 20x9; KW VII coilovers; Dynatech LTs; CORSA; DR Heads; FRI Littleboy Cam; 6.1 crank; ATI OD damper; RR forged 8.6:1 pistons; forged rods; ARP head studs; 2800 TC; BB Stage II Valve Body; Getrag 226 mm Diff, axles/hubs/knuckles; Young's Gear driveshaft; Harrop 2300; Sun manifold w/ intercooler; 18 psi w/ 90 octane; 900 cc injectors; Fore hat w/ duel 255 walbros, regulator, fuel rails; KB BAP; Meth Injection; PTFC Module;Tuned by Underground Performance.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 23,316, Level: 1 Points: 23,316, Level: 1 Points: 23,316, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlquist
I would be more worried about the transfer case for the AWD system than the transmission. I read someplace that the tranny is good for 700 lb/ft of torque or somewhere in that neighborhood (torque is what breaks things not horsepower) but I don't know about the transfer case or differentials for that matter.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 29,834, Level: 1 Points: 29,834, Level: 1 Points: 29,834, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

on the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenj
I would be more worried about the transfer case for the AWD system than the transmission. I read someplace that the tranny is good for 700 lb/ft of torque or somewhere in that neighborhood (torque is what breaks things not horsepower) but I don't know about the transfer case or differentials for that matter.
That's it. Trans is ok to very high torque levels but I have absolutely no one who can tell me about the xfer case or the halfshafts and diffs. You will only break things when you hook up, so be cautious on your launch and you may be ok, since you are really spreading around that HP.

Good luck!

"In a democracy, dissent is an act of faith."
J. William Fulbright

Steve
06 300C SRT8 all stock
Best ET-12.79 Best trap speed-111 mph. ESP on!
I finally have my software! Happy Diablo owner.

My Favorite "old car"... 73 Super Duty 455 Trans Am - 13.08 @109 mph when brand new! Just try and find one now!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Points: 1,700, Level: 1 Points: 1,700, Level: 1 Points: 1,700, Level: 1

Holy crap midnightsun!

Damn! I could only dream about having that many mods on my 300C AWD. I've just begun putting on some mods, but not even close to the extent you've committed to. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the ported heads/cams/sc run you (including labor). I just want to know how much I need to put away
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,132, Level: 1 Points: 1,132, Level: 1 Points: 1,132, Level: 1

new package

My new package will consist of an XV motorsports 6.1 shortblock with a welded and balanced crank,billet h beam rods,forged low comp pistons with thermal coating on the top and friction coating on the skirts,stage 3 cnc ported 6.1 heads,custom ground supercharger cam,ported and port matched 6.1 intake,custom supercharger pulleys that will net about 15 pounds of boost,doubled keyed and sleeved crank snout,the intake with have provisions for 8 extra injectors fired by a stand alone fuel controler and fed with its own fuel lines and pump. The motor alone is supposed to be good for 570 hp and with 15 lbs of boost and enough fuel and tuning behind it........it should rip good ! As far as cost.....with all the wheel,brake,suspension and motor stuff i will have about $80,000 invested with labor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMone
Damn! I could only dream about having that many mods on my 300C AWD. I've just begun putting on some mods, but not even close to the extent you've committed to. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the ported heads/cams/sc run you (including labor). I just want to know how much I need to put away
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMone
This is a follow up to my PM...I can only give you some rough numbers right now as I haven't done a tally yet...Heads about $ 2,000 and $500 for install; Cam about $500 and $1,500 for install; Supercharger about $6,000 and $1,500 for install. This might be a little high as I have had all three done at the same time so there may be an economy of scale and the fact the the engine was pulled for the cam should have made the head install a little easier.

Last edited by Midnightsun300c; 09-28-2006 at 02:26 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

ahlquist...I hope one of these days you will talk to me and we can start a dialog? It appears we have similar goals and could help each other?
You wrote in a prior thread "...I am now running a GS motorsport chager with a high boost kit at 8 lbs with an intercooler.I also have full length headers and an off-raod x-pipe with a borla cat back....I have already gone through a set of half shafts and one trans rebuild with my currnet package (before i blew 2 rods through the side on the motor)I need a resource for trans upgrades"

That is 2 lbs more than I plan to run but I am interested the circumstances surrounding your mishaps? How and when did your transmission fail and what would cause two rods to get blown through the side of your motor?

In this thread you stated that "I have a 2006 300c awd with a full exhaust and gsm high boost kit.It put out about 400 rwhp and the trans held up fine." What am I missing?

Your hp estimates have got me guessing as well. In your prior thread you guessed that you would have about 720 hp at the crank with your new 6.1 setup. In your first entry of this thread you guessed that you would have about 790 at the crank? Have you or are you planning more goodies? Also, in your last post on this thread you guessed that you have 570 hp at the crank without the supercharger! If you add another atmosphere won't you have closer to 1,100 hp!?!

This is all very intriguing. I wish you would share a little more info with me. If you have indeed destroyed your engine with similar upgrades that I'm doing now I would sure like to know!

Last edited by Midnightsun300c; 09-28-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement