ticking noise from lifters on hemi - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Troubleshooting Forums > Problems / Dealer Service
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 03:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 1,056, Level: 1 Points: 1,056, Level: 1 Points: 1,056, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2005 chrysler 300c
Member Number: 8093
ticking noise from lifters on hemi

I went to a dealer and told them of a constant "ticking" sound from my 2005 hemi 300c engine. They acknowledged the sound being there, but said that it was "quiet" than most that they have heard.

What's up with that? They said that the noise came form the lifters, but said that thay have heard louder ones and even replaced another customers engine with the same problem.

They did not offer to replace the lifters because it was normal? They said that the factory knows about the problem but has yet come up with a solution.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, whats the remedy?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 20,471, Level: 1 Points: 20,471, Level: 1 Points: 20,471, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 3126
It is not really a "problem", just a characteristic. My engine and the hemi in my brother's Ram both "tick" and so does every other one I've heard. I believe the cause is the rather unique design of this engine. Compared to other overhead valve, single cam-in-block V8 engines, the modern Hemi's camshaft is very high in the block, changing the angle between the lifters and the pushrods, and between the pushrods and the rockers. I've seen nothing official and I could be wrong but I think that's why the Hemi has more "clatter" than other modern engines. You might post in the "General Discussion" or "Problems" forums to get more input from more people.

Whatever the reason it does seem to be perfectly normal and does not cause any problems. Step on the gas and the clatter is replaced by a grin on your face!

Last edited by kevenj; 09-18-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 105,623, Level: 1 Points: 105,623, Level: 1 Points: 105,623, Level: 1
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Car: 2005 Chrysler/Dodge 300C/Magnum RT
Member Number: 10
all Hemi's click. My 5.5 liter Mercedes lump also clicks.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Points: 6,420, Level: 1 Points: 6,420, Level: 1 Points: 6,420, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 5488
Thumbs up kool thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenj
It is not really a "problem", just a characteristic. My engine and the hemi in my brother's Ram both "tick" and so does every other one I've heard. I believe the cause is the rather unique design of this engine. Compared to other overhead valve, single cam-in-block V8 engines, the modern Hemi's camshaft is very high in the block, changing the angle between the lifters and the pushrods, and between the pushrods and the rockers. I've seen nothing official and I could be wrong but I think that's why the Hemi has more "clatter" than other modern engines. You might post in the "General Discussion" or "Problems" forums to get more input from more people.

Whatever the reason it does seem to be perfectly normal and does not cause any problems. Step on the gas and the clatter is replaced by a grin on your face!
I herd that sound sense the first time we got ours, went to the dealers and they gave me the same reason I thought they didnt know what they were talking about. Kool now I dont have to worry about it and thats what I do to not hear the sound just WOT!!!!!! .. Aloha Seth...
Old 09-19-2006, 03:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo's 300C
I herd that sound sense the first time we got ours, went to the dealers and they gave me the same reason I thought they didnt know what they were talking about. Kool now I dont have to worry about it and thats what I do to not hear the sound just WOT!!!!!! .. Aloha Seth...

Thanks for the quick response.. its my first Chrysler product especially with the hemi.. other than this noise, I love the car.. I guess its just annoying more than anything else, thanks again
Old 09-19-2006, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo's 300C
Thanks for the quick response and information.. do you think that changing the lifters would make a difference? If so, any idea other than the stock lifters, are there any better brands out there?

Again thanks..
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenj

Thanks for the quick response.. do you think changng the lifters would make a difference? Other than the stock replacements, are there any better brands that are less likely to repeat this problem once installed?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 32,915, Level: 1 Points: 32,915, Level: 1 Points: 32,915, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Car: 2006 SRT-8 6.1 Hemi 300c
Member Number: 4390
My car clicks...ticks pretty bad when its cold. Has done it since the day I purchased her. I always thought it was her heals clicking on the ground.

Don't even worry about the clicking. It is very normal and after I have ran my babe real hard she is as quiet as can be. As long as you have a clicking and not a solid knock everything is just fine.

I had a 283 with solid lifters and a large cam and you should have heard that thing tick.

Moose.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Points: 1,119, Level: 1 Points: 1,119, Level: 1 Points: 1,119, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 14942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenj View Post

Thanks for that info Kevin. I thought I was the only one with that noise.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Points: 538, Level: 1 Points: 538, Level: 1 Points: 538, Level: 1

Car: 05 chrysler 300c
Member Number: 16444
I just brought my '05 300c in to the dealer & they said the same thing...normal. They cranked up several C's they had in with approx. the same mileage(40,000) & all had the clicking sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement