is it dangerous to drive on broken tie rods? - Page 2 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 29,937, Level: 1 Points: 29,937, Level: 1 Points: 29,937, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindjung View Post
my tie rods have been broken for over a month now, i just keep putting off the repair cause i hate to be without my car for a whole day, but is it dangerous to be driving on this broken tie rod? and can it potentialy wear out other parts of my suspension?
I know just how you feel, man. Don't let these buzzards get you down.

My car has been leaking pints of brake fluid for months now, and the steering wheel disconnected from the wheels at speeds above 70. Also, the damn hood keeps unlatching a flying up to block my view every two-three days. It's annoying. But not as annoying as having the car at the dealer for a day.

BTW, you can drive with only three wheels. I've been doing it for a week since one wheel fell off.

I am going to take the car in to the dealer after Christmas, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 7,658, Level: 1 Points: 7,658, Level: 1 Points: 7,658, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm 300C View Post
I know just how you feel, man. Don't let these buzzards get you down.

My car has been leaking pints of brake fluid for months now, and the steering wheel disconnected from the wheels at speeds above 70. Also, the damn hood keeps unlatching a flying up to block my view every two-three days. It's annoying. But not as annoying as having the car at the dealer for a day.

BTW, you can drive with only three wheels. I've been doing it for a week since one wheel fell off.

I am going to take the car in to the dealer after Christmas, though.
LOL, you shouldn't have to be burdened by going to the stupid dealer, the car should heal itself so you don't have to be relegated to not having any transportation.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Points: 2,165, Level: 1 Points: 2,165, Level: 1 Points: 2,165, Level: 1

OK, this thread went right off the cliff. Let's make the whole fix easier...install Microsoft Sync and just reboot the sucker! Happy Weekend all!

Brilliant Black Pearl
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 4,280, Level: 1 Points: 4,280, Level: 1 Points: 4,280, Level: 1

wow you guys are pretty lame and unhelpfull, i asked a question, not for critism, anyway i took the car in chrysler told me the tie rods are tight, despite what active + green ross said, and they did not change them, however the wheel still makes a clicking noise, i guess they were trying to get out of doing free warranty work, so when my wheel falls off it aint my fault, i hope i get hurt so chrysler can give me a settlement
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Points: 8,911, Level: 1 Points: 8,911, Level: 1 Points: 8,911, Level: 1
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindjung View Post
wow you guys are pretty lame and unhelpfull, i asked a question, not for critism, anyway i took the car in chrysler told me the tie rods are tight, despite what active + green ross said, and they did not change them, however the wheel still makes a clicking noise, i guess they were trying to get out of doing free warranty work, so when my wheel falls off it aint my fault, i hope i get hurt so chrysler can give me a settlement
Depending on how fast you are going when the joint fails, it could be your family collecting the settlement. Plus they may have to share it with any innocent victims who are also injured in what could be a very severe accident.

I had a ball joint fail on me last year in my previous car. (and, it happened driving home late the night before I was taking it in for an inspection and repair)

Luckily, I was doing about 35-40 on a sparse populated road. Had it happened a week or so earlier, it could have happened on the expressway in much worse conditions at much greater speeds. And the ball joint failure is probably much safer than the tie rod, as the wheels are still linked together, it just dropped the front end to the ground and I lost a little steering control. I was still able to safely bring the car to a stop.

How dangerous it is depends on just what is meant by 'broken'. A truly broken tie rod cannot be driven at all.

Last edited by Cosmo; 05-02-2008 at 03:50 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Points: 802, Level: 1 Points: 802, Level: 1 Points: 802, Level: 1

Get another opinion immediately, if you dont trust your guy. its not acceptable to take it anywhere but to another shop. as an ase mechanic i look at things like this, i've worked 40 yrs to get the stuff i have and to the level of life i'm at. i'm not risking it. if your stuff breaks and you kill someone. you'll be sleepin with bubba. you'll lose all your worldly pocessions. your are criminally liable. especially if the mechanic noted the defect on paper. i'd hate to have to start over. yes the words on this site could be used in court. cover your butt! your mechanic probably did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement