Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Trouble Codes: P0129/P2172/P061A

55K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  bry1871 
#1 ·
Well, after nearly two years of trouble code-free driving, it happened today in triplicate: (definitions from Predator trouble codes)
1) P0129 = barometric pressure too low
2) P2172 = throttle actuator
3) P061A = unknown

I had just started the car after it sat for about 1/2 hour, backed out of a parking space, and proceeded through the parking lot when the throttle response died and the engine stalled. Upon restart the check engine light, the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Light [the red one next to the CEL that looks like two backward parentheses with a lightning bolt between], and the BAS/ESP Light were on. The ETC was flashing, which according to the owner's manual means something needs immediate service. The car ran in a limp mode: performance down (I didn't really push it!), tranny shifting was strange, and it never went into overdrive or MDS.

Upon arriving at home I pulled the codes from the EVIC and with the Predator. I tried pulling Fuse 11. Upon restart the idiot lights were out, the engine seemed to run okay, then the idle got rough and it stalled, and the idiot ligths came back.

I then installed the stock tune from the Predator. No difference.
And while trying to keep the idle up by using the throtte, the engine stalled and another code popped up: P2174 = sudden low air flow.

I did a search and found only (1) occurence of P2172 more than a year ago. The guy indicated the stealership said something about throttle cleaning. He never reported back after it got fixed.

So, does anybody have any real life experiences with these codes?

All input appreciated before I take it in to a stealership.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
2) P2172 = throttle actuator

I got this code on a 2006 Magnum when I reset the PCM after the owner had flashed a Diablo to the car, then put a B&G into the car, then attempted to restore car to stock some time later forgetting he had the wrong PCM in the car..

as such the Diablo thru a fit, the B&G thru a fit and the car was DOA..

I flashed the PCM, then used the Star Scan Reset procedure to reset the Original PCM back to his VIN and download the vehicle config from Tech Authority.

after all this the TB was dead.. this code was thrown..

the Star Scan has a TB calibration option to re-learn the TB set points and voltages.. that cleared the problem..

now in your case..

try this:

disconnect the TB connector..

start the car..

car will go wonky, cause it is not getting a reading from the TB..

let it idle for a minute or so, then kill it and remove the key

then pull fuse 11, replace the TB connector, replace fuse 11, (make sure about 20 seconds has gone by) then start the car..

if the car somehow lost the calibration of the TB (perhaps the TB connector came loose) then this will force the PCM to recalibrate.

IF the problem continues, I suspect the PCM is having trouble reading the TB controller, which might mean there is a problem somewhere..

I have seen one instance of a melted TB harness, after someone moved it cleaning up the engine bay for bling..

#3 · (Edited)
Thanx for the input Mr. I. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I inspected the vacuum lines (P0129 suggests a vacuum leak). All seems well.

The TB wiring didn't look to be in any distress. I tried unplugging the TB connector to assure cleanliness and fit. It resisted inordinately. I'll take another crack at it tomorrow when I'm in a better mood.

UPDATE 10/17/08:

Well, nothing worked!

First I removed the TB and cleaned it with TB cleaner. What a mess! No improvement.

Next I did as you suggested. It ran "wonky" alright, and never straightened out. The codes came back along with the idiot lights.

Then I removed the MAP sensor and flushed out . No improvement.

Looks like a trip to the stealership is in the stars! The way it's running it might have to be towed.

#4 ·
Well, according to the stealership, the problem is the accelerator pedal. It should be fixed tomorrow barring any other complications, and a wallet-lightening of $307!.

Now that I look at the DTC number I see that I may have transposed the last two digits: P2172 instead of P2127. And I would have done it twice: first from the EVIC and second from the Predator! According to the Predator, regardless of whichever number I thought I read, the device was "throttle actuator", that part I wrote down correctly. According to the service manual P2127 is "accelerator pedal position sensor 2 circuit low". So I/we may have been looking at the wrong end of the electronics!

This stealership is not the one from whom I bought the car (that one sold out to BMW!). The service manager was somewhat amused by the litany of warranty work done on my car as he reviewed Chrysler's records on the computer.

#5 ·
Well, according to the stealership, the problem is the accelerator pedal. It should be fixed tomorrow barring any other complications, and a wallet-lightening of $307!.

Now that I look at the DTC number I see that I may have transposed the last two digits: P2172 instead of P2127. And I would have done it twice: first from the EVIC and second from the Predator! According to the Predator, regardless of whichever number I thought I read, the device was "throttle actuator", that part I wrote down correctly. According to the service manual P2127 is "accelerator pedal position sensor 2 circuit low". So I/we may have been looking at the wrong end of the electronics!

This stealership is not the one from whom I bought the car (that one sold out to BMW!). The service manager was somewhat amused by the litany of warranty work done on my car as he reviewed Chrysler's records on the computer.

he would hate to see mine....:biggrin:

as for the peddle position, sounds like the same issue I had with that Magnum, PCM could not read the TB position and the peddle didn't work..

#6 ·
Well, they didn't get it done today.

They did put the throttle pedal assembly in, but the engine still runs rough, so now they are going after the MAP sensor. The bad news is that the parts depot didn't have one. The good news is another stealership (about 60 miles away) does, and they'll have it tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

#7 ·
Well the MAP sensor was the second culprit. All is back to normal, except for my having to re-install the Predator tune.

Here's a copy of the $400.95 invoice:

I'm not too pleased with the $78 for "diagnostics" - the EVIC told us all that much.
Or the $85 (1 hour of labor) to remove and install the pedal assembly which requires pulling the dash bottom panel( 2 screws), unplugging one connector, removing (3) nuts, removing the original pedal assembly, and re-installing with new pedal assembly.
Or the $42.50 (1/2 hour of labor) to remove the engine cover, unplug one connector, twist the MAP sensor 1/4 turn CCW, pull it out, then install the new sensor, connect the plug, and re-install the engine cover taking, what, one minute tops?

Oh well, this too shall pass.

Here's a picture of the offending components- 1) Pedal-Accelerator, 2) MAP sensor:

Note the drive motor for the pedal height adjustment, and the mounting screws (4 total) for the pedal (with sending unit). I guess they don't replace just the pedal (with sending unit) and reuse the perfectly good pedal height adjustment motor portion.

#8 ·
well sorry about the charges..

curious how both failed together...

no service contract eh?

as for the peddle, doesn't surprise me, everthing on these cars is a replace component, not repair.. cheaper that way..

now since you got to keep the peddle and the motor for the height adjustment, whatca gonna do with it..

I know you well enough to know some kind of mod is churning in your brain...

#10 ·
well sorry about the charges..

curious how both failed together...
Well, perhaps when the throttle assembly failed and the engine died, and I stomped on the pedal to rev it up, the intake pressure spiked and blew the MAP?

no service contract eh?
Nope, and I'm still money ahead!

as for the peddle, doesn't surprise me, everthing on these cars is a replace component, not repair.. cheaper that way..
Oh, I agree, but this thing is really two assemblies: 1) the height adjuster /motor section, and 2) the pedal with its sending unit. So why not break it down one more step?

now since you got to keep the peddle and the motor for the height adjustment, whatca gonna do with it..

I am going to disassemble the two major sections, then dissect the sending unit. Its cover just snaps on.

I know you well enough to know some kind of mod is churning in your brain...
No mods churning, but I have to repair my MDS indicator kill switch. It flew apart when the tech unscrewed its mounting nut to allow removal of the lower dash panel. No big deal. The stealership offered to reimburse me the cost of the switch.

#11 ·
The pedal assembly talks to the powertrain control module (PCM) which talks to the throttle body. I think the MAP talks to the PCM also so the PCM can make decisions on ignition timing and TB position.

I can tell you that my engine stalled. Sometimes it ran nearly normal (except in a limp mode), and sometimes it sounded like it was trying to run on two cylinders, and smelled like rotten eggs. I wasn't pretty!

#12 · (Edited)
I had a similar problem with my '05 C--I had codes P0108 2172 with engine stumbling and stalling, again MAP sensor and throttle. The problem was NOT the throttle, but the WIRING to the MAP sensor common in early build '05s was not secured properly and was getting struck by the wipers, so it only happened to me on rainy days! There's a TSB for the wiring issue.

BTW, I had nearly all of the early-build problems in my '05 C other than water in the tranny; my '07 CAWD had only a stuck reversing mirror on delivery and not one other since *knock*.

#13 ·
Well, it wasn't raining when I had my problems, but if the problem comes back I'll be looking at the MAP wiring. In fact, I'll take a look at it tomorrow just for giggles!

#14 ·
Here's a shot of a disassembled gas pedal assembly, itself having been disassembled from the pedal height adjuster portion of the throttle assembly.

Just so much junk, that is unless the MAP wiring is REALLY the culprit!

#15 ·
Ok, So it seems as if there is some sort of reostat configuration on that circut board, possible problem along with the MAP sensor. I dont have the rain problem or never into limp mode. I am purchasing a TB from pimpmobile, and going to the dealer Monday to purchase MAP sensor (where is the sensor located)? And purchase a pedal assy. Do you think the pedal assy was the issue? If not I will not waste the money.

#16 ·
So I have had this light come on in my 2009 300 last night. found the code, 2127 and everything I find says the sensors on the pedel. Do I have to replace the whole pedal or can the sensors be switched? Also I was out today with it and started it a few times and went for a drive, the light is no longer flashing but the code is still there when I cycle the key, do I still need to be concerned?

I know this is an old thread but any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.