Hard to start when engine is hot. - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Troubleshooting Forums > Problems / Dealer Service
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 2,609, Level: 1 Points: 2,609, Level: 1 Points: 2,609, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300c
Member Number: 20163
Hard to start when engine is hot.

My car is hard to start when it is HOT. Like if I drive around for a while and then I gas up or just stop and shut the engine off then go back after a few minutes and restart the engine then it is so hard to start. It acts as if the Fuel Pump relay is pulled out of the fuse box at the back. Starts then goes up to 400rpm then dies, then restart then try again and dies. Then after like 5 minutes of trying. It fires right up and won't die again after it starts ok. Even if you drive for an hour or two it won't die. But if you restart the engine again then there it goes again.

Only happens when engine is hot.

The thing is, it only started happening when I didn't use the car for a week and learned when I tried to start it when I got back home, that the battery was dead. I pulled off the battery and brought it with me to the shop where I'll be buying the new battery. Took me 3 hours and I installed the new battery. Then this thing started happening.

Any ideas please? Try pulling off your fuel pump relay and starting your car that's how the car reacts when i experience this hard starting thing when engine is hot.
'06 Ford Escape XLT V6 [/B]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned by AutoGuide
Points: 54,809, Level: 1 Points: 54,809, Level: 1 Points: 54,809, Level: 1

Car:
Member Number: 5683
if it is happening when you gas up, then your evap canister is failing, and needs to be replaced..

our cars do not have an over flow on the gas nozzle, if you top the car off the gas flushes into a charcoal canister (evap can) and they you vapor lock the car until the gas vapor settles..

try starting the car with the gas cap off.. if it starts no problem, then your evap can is bad, and needs to be replaced.

the can is about $40 and you can do it yourself, takes about 30 min.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mr. i. Thanks for the quick response. It happens also even if I am not gassing up. Happens even if my tank is half full or on 1/4 level. Everytime the engine is hot. Started happening after I replaced the battery. Any other ideas why it could be happening. I read a topic in here about a possible pinched wire near the battery after they replaced their batteries caused engine stalling? I will chack that too and the evap can.

Is there anything I need to reset after replacing the battery?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned by AutoGuide

Car:
I just replaced my battery and didn't have any issues..

what do you mean by hot though?

I do know the computer will protect the motor, if the temp sensors reads above 240 it will not allow the car to start..

is your coolant level low?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
I just replaced my battery and didn't have any issues..

what do you mean by hot though?

I do know the computer will protect the motor, if the temp sensors reads above 240 it will not allow the car to start..

is your coolant level low?
Hot = when its just a line below half the temperature guage.
I checked the coolant level, It is not on the max level about an inch below it. Will this cause that problem? Sorry for bothering you with all these questions but I know you're all well experienced with these things and this car.

I am from the Philippines and there is only one dealership for Chrysler here and they charge an arm and a leg for their service and parts and the dealership is located like 70miles away from my place so I would like to see if it could be just a simple problem that I can solve at home. You can only find Chrysler parts at the Chrysler dealership over here. It sucks. These cars are rare over here and that makes owning one a great experience but come the problems and it becomes a big headache, kinda lol.

Mr. I. I appreciate the help. I hope you could share more ideas that could possibly cause this. I hope its not too much of a disturbance. Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned by AutoGuide

Car:
do you know how to check the actual engine temp in the EVIC hidden menus?

press the compass button then the music note and hold together for about 15 seconds, use the up and down arrows to cycle thru the menus, the engine temp in actual numbers is in there..
Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned by AutoGuide

Car:
oh an it's no bother... it's why this forum exists.. if it was a bother, I wouldn't post, nor subscribe to the threads to check them.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
do you know how to check the actual engine temp in the EVIC hidden menus?

press the compass button then the music note and hold together for about 15 seconds, use the up and down arrows to cycle thru the menus, the engine temp in actual numbers is in there..
Wow I'm going to check this out on my 3.5 .

My hemi has this in the EVIC system warnings sections already did not know you could see it on the 3.5 on hidden menus .

BY the way the car does not show any codes. When I try the ACC on ACC on ACC on thing. IT shows DOne.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mr. I. I got a max reading of 219F on the temperature. Considering the weather here in the Philippines is warm, do you think its normal operating temperature?

I can hear a hissing sound below the car about under the passenger seats at the back when im outside the car while it's running. Is that normal or should I look for a leak? Could that possible cause a hotter engine?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned by AutoGuide

Car:
temp is normal..

hissing sound around rear passenger wheel? if so then your EVAP system is leaking..

the EVAP is contained above the rear passenger wheel behind the wheel liner, and the evap hose runs from there to the drivers side gas fill spout..

honestly sounds to me like your EVAP system is having an issue, which coincides with the hard starting problem. I have personally been down this road myself, which is why I jumped in with my advice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement