Won't Shift out of park - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Troubleshooting Forums > Problems / Dealer Service
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 3,607, Level: 1 Points: 3,607, Level: 1 Points: 3,607, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2005 chrysler 300 touring
Member Number: 11328
Unhappy Won't Shift out of park

Upon my return from out of town(left Thursday, back Sunday), my 05 300 Touring refuses to shift out of park. Removed rubber cover, pressed pink(!) button, but it still refuses. Drove to current location fine. No leaks under car.
Help!

marty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 16,616, Level: 1 Points: 16,616, Level: 1 Points: 16,616, Level: 1
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C SRT Design & 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II
Member Number: 17559
Common problem...search "pink thingy" or "park lock out" on this forum.

It's not the pink lever that you can see that is causing the problem, but rather another one that you cannot see until you remove and disassemble the shifter.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 25,819, Level: 1 Points: 25,819, Level: 1 Points: 25,819, Level: 1
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Member Number: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownmmm View Post
Upon my return from out of town(left Thursday, back Sunday), my 05 300 Touring refuses to shift out of park. Removed rubber cover, pressed pink(!) button, but it still refuses. Drove to current location fine. No leaks under car.
Help!

marty
Sorry to hear this but it's extremely common! Here's a thread that will be able to answer all your questions as well as a couple of DIY links. Read through the whole thing so you can see the different options.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...tallation.html
Old 07-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Points: 3,607, Level: 1 Points: 3,607, Level: 1 Points: 3,607, Level: 1

Car: 2005 chrysler 300 touring
Member Number: 11328
Finally!!!

This repair has been done! Waited for the ordered piece from BT, but it has not arrived as of yet. So downloaded info to a portable hard drive, loaded laptop, tools, and headed out to the parking lot-no shade around.

Only problem was the heat-of course it would average over 100 degrees when I had to work on the car!

using the breakdown found on this site, it was a straight forward job; it appears daunting, but being careful doesn't hurt!

Once the piece arrives(probably when I'm back from vaykay), i'll take the time to put it in.

Thanks Will for your insight, thank you to Bruno for letting me know I was not alone, and to Desiree for the write up -w/o which I may have lost a good repair shop(they had drained/flushed my tranny on 6/23 and I initially though they were at fault!).

I better do some more perusing to find the other 'common' repairs, errrr, cheap cop-outs by Chrysler I need to be aware of.

marty

Last edited by htownmmm; 07-09-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 25,819, Level: 1 Points: 25,819, Level: 1 Points: 25,819, Level: 1
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Member Number: 3129
You're welcome! Hey, sit down and enjoy the forums as an extension of your own family. You will find more quality help, assistance, and answers here, far more than many dealership techs know (not all of them, though) and all for free, including much need pics and YouTubes if needed.

I see you joined in March of 2007, Marty! So, where have you been all this time?? Glad you have this worked once the BT part arrives. Have a great vacation, too!

bruno
Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 46,505, Level: 1 Points: 46,505, Level: 1 Points: 46,505, Level: 1
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Member Number: 1483
Glad to have been of assistance to you 'htownmmm'.
It all about sharing the 300C experience, good or not so good.
2005 300C BRILLIANT BLACK, DRL, Mesh Grill/Vents, Chrome Pillars & Fender Trim, MDS Indicator, Quad Brake Lights, Tinted Windows, De-Molded, K&N Aircharger, 180 T-Stat, Flashing Sidemarkers, Predator Cust. Perf. 93 CAI Tune
1997 MUSTANG COBRA 'VERT, TRIPLE BLACK, Vortech S/C'd., ECT Mod., 4.10 Rear, 18" Saleen Wheels
1950 FORD TUDOR FLATHEAD V8 - Sold 6/27/14 after 16 years of fun.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Points: 345, Level: 1 Points: 345, Level: 1 Points: 345, Level: 1

Member Number: 32409
Smile Won't Shift out of Park Part 2

Hello, I've read the link, pressed the pink thingy and read the fix in the forum on how to fix. Here's the question. Although the shifter will move to the right, it still doesn't pull down. Is this still the pink lever related that I need to go to the Billet one in addition to pulling the shifter unit or is there something else going on. I am pretty mechanical to try and do this myself but want to make sure that it is still the "pink thingy" and not something else. Either way, it sounds as if I'm going to have to pull the shifting unit, huh? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me! Down to one car now with the 300C and Harley out of service rebuilding.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
Points: 65,083, Level: 1 Points: 65,083, Level: 1 Points: 65,083, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2008 300c SRT-8 {LCC}
Member Number: 21130
its not the pink button you need to press...its the wire at the fron of the shifter, under the chrome bezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
I am not sure if this has been posted on the Lxforums, but someone on the chargerforums posted a temporary fix if the shifter breaks.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=77641

The fix is only good until you have to put the car back into park, where the shifter will stick again.
But at least the fix allows you to get the shifter to move so you can drive the car to the dealer.

Per the thread, there is a cable inside the shifter box that can be pushed to the left, which will release the shifter from park.

You need a very long screw driver or thin tool to reach the cable.

Someone later in the thread explained in more detail how to use the cable to release the shifter as follows-
I put the screwdriver down the hole, then hold the screw driver and the gear shifter in the same hand and shift like normal. The right movement of the screwdriver/gearshifter moves the end of the screwdriver left, like a lever, pushing the release wire left, perfectly. I thought I'd say something, because my first try I was using two hands, trying to keep the screwdriver straight and move it left while I moved the gearshifter right, and it wasn't working.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...9&postcount=29

I just took this picture of the cable in my car. It looks like it is about 4-5 inches inside the box.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Points: 345, Level: 1 Points: 345, Level: 1 Points: 345, Level: 1

Member Number: 32409
Thanks Kaiser Bill for the quick fix to get it to temporaily drive. Question still is do I need to order the lever (pink thingy) from BT that will solve this problem permenently? I'm mechanically oriented and if replacing the lever will be a permanent fix for this versus taking my 300C down to the dealer and having them charge me an arm and a leg to do the same thing, I'd rather save me the money. Desiree gave a good step by step on how to do. Thus, will the new BT lever permanently fix this? The charger forum on your links Bill still mentioned something about a BT part that I'm taking for the metal lever to replace the pink "thingy". Thanks for your quick fix! Looking to make a permanent fix myself if I can save the $$. Love my 300C and never had any problems till now.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator
Points: 65,083, Level: 1 Points: 65,083, Level: 1 Points: 65,083, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2008 300c SRT-8 {LCC}
Member Number: 21130
the BT alloy is a permanent fix..... you can doctor the original part instead if you want, instead, using the "cotter pin fix". It costs about 10
Cents!

shifter problems and fix - Lx Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum

this guy used twisted wire....if you just drill the hole, the cotter pin goes through & its tabs bend out to hold it in place...then the spring mounts on the pin's eye

you'll see some people recommend you do-away with the pink thing altogether....note that lack of this part has been linked to a death, so dont do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsmi View Post
I take it back - fix the part:

Mother and Three Children Killed when Minivan without Brake Shift Interlock rolled into Pond

On July 4, 2007, a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager rolled into Bunnell's Pond at Beardsley Park in Conneticut, killing the three children inside the van and a 39 year old woman who attempted to stop the van. The Plymouth Grand Voyager was not equipped with a Brake Shift Interlock which prevents a vehicle from being shifted out of park if the brake pedal is not depressed.
Michelle McIntosh, 39, died Wednesday along with her 2-year-old son David and 3-year-old family friend Julia Boyd. Her nephew, Jayden Wilson, 6, died Thursday at Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital, where he had been in critical condition.
The van rolled about 60 or 70 yards into Bunnell's Pond at Beardsley Park, where many people had gathered to celebrate the holiday.
McIntosh who was looking for a spot to have a picnic briefly stepped out of the minivan to speak to friends. Seconds after she stepped out, the van began to roll, police said. She chased it and was dragged for a short distance, losing her shoes as she climbed in and tried to stop the vehicle, police said. It rolled 60 or 70 yards down a steep hill and into a pond, where it was submerged in 15 to 20 feet of water for up to 25 minutes.
A person with direct knowledge of the incident who requested anonymity because details haven't been made public said a child seated in the friends' vehicle reported seeing the younger McIntosh climb from the back seat to the front after his mother got out of the van.
It is widely known among car manufacturers and has been admitted by DaimlerChrysler, the manufacturer of the minivan, that a brake shift interlock prevents vehicles from accidentally being shifted out of park and prevents children from inadvertently shifting a minivan out of park. Despite this knowledge, DaimlerChrysler refuses to recall its minivans which have been linked to numerous accidents and deaths due to a lack of a brake shift interlock in its vehicles.
Harris Penn & Lowry has represented several families of persons injured when DaimlerChrysler minivans without brake shift interlock were shifted out of park causing them to roll. Within the last year, two DaimlerChrysler minivans were inadvertently shifted out of park killing an 18 month old boy in one incident and an adult male in another. Harris Penn & Lowry represents the family of the 18 month old boy.
In the case of Hamby v. DaimlerChrysler, the lawyers of Harris Penn & Lowry represented the family of Madison Hamby, 2 1/2 years old, who was killed when she shifted her family's 1991 Chrysler minivan out of park causing it to roll down the drive way. Madison was ejected and trapped under the front tire of the minivan. She suffocated as a result.
Hamby v. DaimlerChrysler was tried to a jury in February 2006. The jury returned a verdict of $4.5 million against DaimlerChrysler for its failure to warn of the lack of a brake shift interlock and the dangers of its minivan. This is believed to be the only plaintiff's verdict against DaimlerChrysler regarding its minivans and their lack of a brake shift interlock. It is also believed to be the second highest verdict in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia.
Harris Penn & Lowry has gathered an extensive collection of documents regarding DaimlerChrysler's knowledge of the dangers of not putting a brake shift interlock on its minivans, including numerous previous incidents where children and adults were hurt or killed by its minivans.
HPL strongly urges parents to ensure any vehicle purchased has brake shift interlock on it prior to purchasing it. Ask your car dealer or test it by putting the key in the ignition, turning it to the on position, and then shifting the vehicle without depressing the brake pedal. Make sure no one is near then vehicle when testing it.
For more information regarding DaimlerChrysler Minivans or Brake Shift Interlock, call or email the lawyers at Harris Penn & Lowry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement