I have a 2006 300C and as of yesterday my fuel gauge and dist to empty readings started acting up. It happened after I hit a piece of tire from a semi. I was at just under a 1/4 tank reading on the gauge at that time and ~50 miles on the dist to empty. Ten minutes later my fuel gauge jumped up half way to 1/2 full and my dist to empty reading to 185 miles. I knew I was running a low on gas and was at about my 2.5 gallons left (I know how many miles I can go on a full tank) so I stopped and got gas. The gauge went to full and the dist to empty to about where it does on a full tank. I drove over a hundred miles and the fuel gauge didn't drop below the full line and the dist to empty reading barely went down and then started fluctuating up and down. This morning the fuel gauge and dist to empty reading are down but I definitely higher than what they normally are at about 100 miles or so.
So I have a few questions...
1. do the wires to the fuel tank and sending unit run inside the car or under it outside? Could be a possible short in the wire due to the tire I hit exposing the wire or maybe loosening it to the sending unit if on the outside?
2. where is the sending unit on the car? what is the easiest way to access it? Somebody said I could get to it from the back seat??
3. Any other potential issues it may be? Could it be a bad sending unit or the arm maybe getting stuck on the wall of the tank?
4. Could it be the fuel line itself and if I remove it and clear it would it possibly fix this?
5. How many fuel pumps do I have on my car? Some say two? TWO??
Looking for any help I can get to try to keep the cost of this fix to a minimum. Luckily I know how far I can get on a tank of gas or pretty close to it so I am not concerned about getting this fixed immediately (although I think it's better to than not).
P.S. I did search through the forums to see if this is happening to anybody else but those already posted seem to be one extreme or the other (no reading at all, full reading all the time or gas gauge not doing anything but dist to empty is working properly) and they don't really fit my problem like I need them to.