Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Filtermag works, I opened the filter.

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  LegalShield 
#1 ·
As promised here are the results of the Filtermag. The photo looks exactly like the Filtermag website photo. You can just see the edge of the Filtermag on the outside of the filter. Thankfully, the particular Mopar filter is a good quality made by Purolator (not Fram) as evidenced by the telltale string. Inside the filter you can see the same black metallic powder in the shape of the magnet, the mag had to be removed in in order to remove the filter then re applied. One might argue that the filter media would have trappend these particles anyway. We will never know, however we do know that even the best filters only stop 20 micron particles and if any of this powder is smaller than 20 microns then the mag is an added benefit. If all of the metallic powder would have been simply trapped in the filter media then the drain bolt tip would have been pristine and it had plenty of black metal powder and one shard. I used Amsoil 5w20 synthetic and an Amsoil oversized (longer) SDF 15 filter, required 7.5 qts to compensate for the larger filter.

See less See more
#3 ·
Filtermag results

II kings 9:20 said:
As promised here are the results of the Filtermag. The photo looks exactly like the Filtermag website photo. You can just see the edge of the Filtermag on the outside of the filter. Thankfully, the particular Mopar filter is a good quality made by Purolator (not Fram) as evidenced by the telltale string. Inside the filter you can see the same black metallic powder in the shape of the magnet, the mag had to be removed in in order to remove the filter then re applied. One might argue that the filter media would have trappend these particles anyway. We will never know, however we do know that even the best filters only stop 20 micron particles and if any of this powder is smaller than 20 microns then the mag is an added benefit. If all of the metallic powder would have been simply trapped in the filter media then the drain bolt tip would have been pristine and it had plenty of black metal powder and one shard. I used Amsoil 5w20 synthetic and an Amsoil oversized (longer) SDF 15 filter, required 7.5 qts to compensate for the larger filter. QUOTE]

II kings, per Filtermags Web site one of the tests conducted by an independent testing lab involved running two oil filters, in series, with the Filtermag attached to the second filter. The Filtermag-equipped filter's inside edge looked like yours, meaning all that metal had passed unhindered through the first filter. That test should answer, at least partially, the question you raised.

Looks like a worthy add-on.

#4 ·
I never even knew this thing (filtermag) existed, though I guess that's because my cars don't use spin on filters. It's a good idea. Back in the day, BMW 2002's (1967 to 1974, though I might be wrong on that) came with magnetic oil pan drian plugs. My dad said every time he changed his oil (he kept this car for about 180,000 miles, so it couldn't have just been wearing out the roughness in machining) there was metal on it.

Is that a mopar filter or an amsoil filter though? I'm a bit confused by the wording.
Richard

#5 ·
#6 ·
That is, as I recall, a good price, I think I paid $39. Don't be misled by the picture, you get one magnet. The photo suggests two, one for either side of the filter but the photo depicts both sides of the one magnet. You do not get two. Tip: it needs to be removed before removing the filter as it hits the pan/block as you spin the filter off.

#7 ·
II kings..

II Kings,

Long long ago (11000 miles ago), I saw your original filtermag post and purchased the filtermag even before I had delivery of my car- I had the guys slap on he filter before I drove it off the dealership lot! I get the oil changed at the dealership and consequently do not even know its effects on the filter, so thanks for re-iterating it for me:)

jay

#10 ·
II kings 9:20 said:
You are welcome Jaydee, one thing to remember, make sure the guy doing the oil change (if you don't do your own) puts it on the new filter, AND remove it when you trade or sell, I left magnets on my Alfa and Buick that could have been used on the next car.
Thanks II kings- everytime I have my oil changed, I make it a point to tell them about the filter, but then I cant help having that nagging suspicion that sometime, somewhere someone might just leave it out and I might never find out about it !

Jay

#13 ·
I would say it it pretty effective and basic, metal it attracted to magnets. If you have a strong magnet it will keep all those small magnetic particles in the filter wear they belong. Then as a secondary have a drain plug mag to catch the metal in the oil pan when it all drains back into the pan. The oil pan plug mag will show you how well the filter mag is working as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.