Greeting everyone! I've been working on this project almost every evening for way too many day. I know I have an easy 50+ hours into it. But last night I finally finished.
It all started when I decided to try and port my intake. I've never done any porting before but armed with youtube videos, pictures of ported manifolds from the various forums and the Eastwood porting guide, I jumped in feet first. And it came out pretty good if I do say so myself. While certainly not a CNC job it is definitely better than what came from the factory.
Pre Porting Prep
Plenum detail - BEFORE
Plenum Detail - AFTER
Manifold Runner - BEFORE
Manifold Runner - AFTER
Shiny Internal Goodness!
The next step in the plan was to powder coat the manifold. I had powder coated the manifold once before but I felt there there was a lot of room for improvement and that I could do a better job this time. So I started grinding and sanding and dremeling.
And every time I stepped back I would find an area that could use "just a tad more" attention.
And each time the manifold got a bit shinier.
Once I had about 20 hours into it I figured "I've gone this far, might as well go all the way and see if I can polish this sucker!
And if it doesn't come out right I can always go back and just powder coat it".
Gathering the polishing tools
And while under the hood I gave my valve covers the "scratch" test. Hot dang! They were aluminum!
So off they came and they went under the polishing process too.
And in case you are wondering why I need a hammer to polish stuff...
I use it to drive nails through the screw holes and into the workbench to hold the stuff in place so they don't fly across the garage when the buffer wheel catches on something.
And while I was at it I might as well do the throttle body
and the fuel rails...
and the CAI intake pipes...
Until finally - this:
Like I said, I just finished,
Tomorrow I will start putting the engine back together.
I'll post more pics of it once its all back together.