DIY: 2012 300 Pentastar 3.6L V6 Oil Change - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Tech Tips Forums > Tech Tips - DIY - How-To
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Tech Tips - DIY - How-To Member created and Member approved! From modifications to maintenance, find the step-by-step info you need here. (Only Moderators can post)

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (8) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 PM   8 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
Points: 860, Level: 1 Points: 860, Level: 1 Points: 860, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Car: 2012 Chrysler 300
Member Number: 39992
DIY: 2012 300 Pentastar 3.6L V6 Oil Change

2012 3.6L Pentastar Oil Change

Jack here, i'm new to the forums and American cars. I've always been one to do my own maintenance on my car because no one's going to take care of it as well as you do. My 2012 300 just hit about 4,700 miles and it's time for it's first oil change! Haven't seen any DIY's on this yet so i'd thought i'd post this and hopefully it'll help those who are looking to change their own oil since this is very similar to how oil changes were done on my BMW 335i.

Requirements

-6 Quarts of 5w-30
**Pictured is Mobil1 Extended Performance 5w-30 which has excellent UOA's but I just discovered that it is NOT Chrysler MS-6395 spec'd. I will be switching to Amsoil Synthetic 5W-30 for the next oil change. Don't want to give the dealerships any reason to void your warranty :P

-Mopar MO-744 Oil Filter ($10.00 at the Dealer)
-8mm Socket
-13mm Socket
-15/16 inch Socket
-Ratchet(s) to accommodate the above listed sockets
-Oil Drain Pan
-Rags
-Means of lifting up your car
**In this DIY I used Rhino Ramps, if using a jack please refer to your manual for proper jack points
-About 20-30 minutes of your time

Underneath the car

Looking underneath there's a protective tray that needs to be removed in order to access the drain bolt. Fortunately there are only four 8mm (circled in red) bolts keeping the tray in place. Remove these then pull the tray outwards towards the rear. Slides right out!

Without the tray

Remove the 13mm bolt to drain the oil (Don't forget to unplug your oil fill cap up top for a faster drain)

Let all the oil drain out and then re-tighten the drain bolt. Leave the tray off and head up to the engine bay.

Engine Bay

Circled is the cap that holds the oil filter, remove it by using the 15/16" socket and turning counter clockwise. Once loose I prefer to hand loosen it.

Pull the old oil filter outwards to remove it. We are now going to install the new o-ring which should come with your oil filter. Pull it off and replace it with the new one.

O-Ring

Out with the old in with the new

After replacing the o-ring, place the new filter onto the cap with the prong side going into the oil cap. You should see the indentations for it and it should click into place. If installed right the filter will not fall out no matter how it's held. I usually like to apply a little bit of new oil to the filter but this is up to you. After replacing the filter and o-ring reinstall the oil filter cap.

Pour in 6 Quarts of new oil

Close the fill cap and clean up any oil with rags. Turn on your car and check for any leaks. Underneath and in the engine bay. Double check with your dipstick to make sure oil levels are correct as well. If everything checks out reinstall the tray underneath and you're done!! Congrats!!

FYI

It'd be a good idea to keep records and receipts for proof of maintenance in case the dealer decides to ask later on for warranty purposes. Have to have some kind of proof right? I just keep a log with receipts.

Feel free to comment if I may have missed something or if I could've clarified things any better. If anyone knows how to reset the oil change light please PM me or inform me so I can update this DIY. I haven't received the light yet but i'm sure it'll come on later. Also, I want to think that the 2011 is done the same way but I can never be too sure so if someone later verifies that it is or isn't I will be sure to update on that as well.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sixth_vang For This Useful Post:
Gregg Von Urff (03-07-2013), leadfoot99 (04-22-2014), oceanstate88 (12-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Points: 2,324, Level: 1 Points: 2,324, Level: 1 Points: 2,324, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Car: 2013 Chrysler 300C V6 AWD Luxury Series
Member Number: 40305
Having front wheels on ramps, how much of old oil is left in the engine, given that car is tilted front to back and oil drain plug is in front?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement