How To: Door Handle Swap (PICS) - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Tech Tips Forums > Tech Tips - DIY - How-To
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Tech Tips - DIY - How-To Member created and Member approved! From modifications to maintenance, find the step-by-step info you need here. (Only Moderators can post)

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (8) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 AM   8 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
Points: 29,955, Level: 1 Points: 29,955, Level: 1 Points: 29,955, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2007 CHYRSLER 300C
Member Number: 13617
Talking How To: Door Handle Swap (PICS)

Thanks to forum member, LindJung, I had the chance to tackle a long time desired MOD-The Door handle swap. I can tell you this has to be one of the most difficult and fustrating Mods that I've taken on. I can only imagine that the Halo Mod would be more difficult. This install can vary between 4-? hrs, depending on your skill level. It took me nearly 6-7hrs without assistance and a few problems, which I will discuss later. I will start with the rear doors first, since they are the most challenging.

Tools needed
Flat head screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Torxs bit size T30
Ratchet with 8mm socket (with an extension)
Needle nose pliers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
REAR DOOR handle swap

1) Remove the 5 screws and 7 rivets holding the interior panel to the door. The window can either be in the up or down position at this point. To remove the rivets, simply punch the center piece gently in without too much force. You will more that likely break a few but can buy replacements.

2) Once all rivets and screws are removed, the next step is to remove the interior door panel. You can pry it from the door frame which is holding it together with 2 snap clips you cannot see.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3) Remove the plastic film to access the interior of the door. You can remove the handle bar at this point-covered in white fabric. This allows you to completley seperate the door panel for more room and you will less likely bend the bar with it out of the way. The window needs to be up at this point.

4) There is 1 bolt at holding the front part of the door handle and 2 towards the back. You can access the front bolt through the big open area in the frame. Shown also in the circle above in step 3.

5) The hard part. There are 2 bolts securing the rear of the handle to the body. The Best and easiest access to these are by removing the 3 Torx screws holding the door locking mechanism and shifting the part aside to gain access to the bolts.

Once, the Torx screws are removed, insert the 8mm socket with extension and remove the bolts. Don't worry if the bolt falls out of the socket and drops to the bottom of the door panel, you can retrive it by removing the lower plastic shield and fish for it.

6) Once the handle is free from the 3 bolts, you still have the rod connected to the handle. This handle is connected to the inside door handle to open and shut the door. This is VERY tricky to remove. I found the best way was to do it through the outside. Try to get the end of the handle and plastic clip out far enough to remove it. You can use the needle nose pliers to do this, but becareful not to break that clip. Doing so will cause the bar to separate later on when the panel is back on.

Once the handle is removed. Replace it and follow the steps in reverse to re-install it.
**Caution**
Prior to closing your door after re-assembly, test the locking mechansim first. You should test this by triggering the locking mechansim at the side of the door. Then try to open it using the handle on the inside and outside. I failed to do this and must've did something wrong and my door does NOT open now. After this mistake, I tested the remaining doors and they all work properly.
FRONT DOOR handle swap
The front doors are easier and slightly different. The interior panel is removed the same and has has the same amount of screws and rivets. It is recommended that you disconnect the bar inside this time. There is an extra bar located in the drivers side door for the auto locks.
1) Close ups of bar.

2) The 3 bolts holding the handle to the body are easier to gain access to. The window must be in the "UP" position and the plastic covering needs to be partially removed.
The front most bolt can be accessed via the larger opening in the panel like the rear door.

3) The rear 2 bolts can be used with the 8mm socket and extension through the holes in the interior frame.

4) Once the handle is free of bolts, try to unsnap the clip again. To me, this was time consuming and fustrating. It is possible though. You can eventually pull out the handle further to expose that clip. Once that's done, you get this.

Replace everything back the same way in reverse, obviously. TEST the locks first prior to shutting any doors. You can get extra rivets online cheap. Big Daddy found a site and it's somewhere in a thread.
The before and after Pic:

lIVIN' tHE dREAM!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jasonb20 For This Useful Post:
albertojedi (12-17-2013), HogGy (04-20-2013), Mcloud (12-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement