I wanted to update the post "Step by Step on how to repair broken REC Nav unit Joystick" but couldn't. I'd like to add a bit of info. I did this on a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee REC Nav unit.
- This does work, but with a bit more effort.
- The Alps RKJXT1F42001 is different from the OEM part (RKJXT1E12001), but is available at onlinecomponents.com. Beware - for a $7.47 part, Online has a $35 min buy.
- The new part is missing 4 pins that the original had - these apparently don't affect operation.
- The new part's shaft is shorter and thicker.
New: 0.10" / Old 0.05".
- You need to disassemble the switches and swap shafts. Now going into a bigger hole, the old shaft in the new part body has a bit of play. Don't know how this will affect reliability, but it does work.
- The new part's body is thicker by about 0.070" and will interfere with the clear plastic backing that holds the right-side buttons in place. The front bezel and button won't sit flush and the right side buttons won't operate. My solution was to drill out this plastic to the diameter of the switch. Now, the bezel fits flush.
If the moderator will let you look at pictures,
replace ptth with http and * by /