300c vs 2000 trans am - Page 2 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Track Talk Let's talk track! Post your track stories, timeslips & pics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 30,592, Level: 1 Points: 30,592, Level: 1 Points: 30,592, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIMUS View Post
The regular T/A not much slower than a WS-6... unless you can tree him he will probably win by a fender
Well here's finally a realistic repsonse, on paper the T/A is faster. In the real world, I guess we'll see how it goes...let us know.

'12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete, all options
-BT catch can, skip shift eliminator, AFE intake, BB's resonater delete, Jet 180 t-stat, ceramic tint/clear bra
13.56@104.38 DA 7170 - that's 12.33@114.45 corrected!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 73,973, Level: 1 Points: 73,973, Level: 1 Points: 73,973, Level: 1
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah a 305hp LS1 block auto car and a 330hp LS6 block 6spd is a bit of different race though... My biggest competition years gone by was my friends 02 Firehawk (which is just a WS6 T/A with an SLP airbox)... it was a bone stock 6pd and was quick as hell for what it was... now the 2000 LS1 Auto with 305hp he left behind to get the Firehawk was not at all the same race... it was slow out of the hole and pulled strong for a bit and then gave up in the revs... that's why I say there IS a difference depending on what version of car he is running against. My friend Cal was the exclusive SLP guy in Ontario in charge of the old GTX Grand Prix projects through GM, I'm going to shoot him an email as he was running a WS6 (not sure now) and it was fairly stock (he put on his own SLP airbox) and see what his car is or was running... should give this guy an idea... he's a no B.S. kinda guy! BTW Eric I haven't been on here too much of late... when the heck did you get that gorgeous Chally??! Last thing I knew you were now living with elevation and selling your car! Guess a year or two went by and I missed it! Ok... Hijack over... Once again to the poster... good luck on your run... let us know how it goes!

FRI'd Sidewinder, Novi 1200 S/C @ 5.5psi, Custom TR1235 A2A Intercooler, Ported SRT Headers & Gutted Mid's, EGR, MDS & 02 Delete, Custom Catback w/Blastin Bobs SRT Pipes 4" tips, 170 Tstat, Big Bully Catchcan, 3.06 diff, 2800 stall, MTCM, Tranzformer, SRT Rad, SRT P/S Cooler, 5/15% Tint, SRT 20's, SRT Spoiler & Bumpers, Custom Stainless Grill, SE Coilovers.

AMP'd, FRI'd and Blown... 422rwhp/463rwtq @ 5.5psi conservative street tune!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 10,021, Level: 1 Points: 10,021, Level: 1 Points: 10,021, Level: 1

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OPTIMUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Well here's finally a realistic repsonse, on paper the T/A is faster. In the real world, I guess we'll see how it goes...let us know.
And that my friend is the equalizer... The real world!!!

Who ever gets outta the hole faster will win because neither have enough power or gearing to drive around the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver06hemic View Post
Yeah a 305hp LS1 block auto car and a 330hp LS6 block 6spd is a bit of different race though... My biggest competition years gone by was my friends 02 Firehawk (which is just a WS6 T/A with an SLP airbox)... it was a bone stock 6pd and was quick as hell for what it was... now the 2000 LS1 Auto with 305hp he left behind to get the Firehawk was not at all the same race... it was slow out of the hole and pulled strong for a bit and then gave up in the revs... that's why I say there IS a difference depending on what version of car he is running against. My friend Cal was the exclusive SLP guy in Ontario in charge of the old GTX Grand Prix projects through GM, I'm going to shoot him an email as he was running a WS6 (not sure now) and it was fairly stock (he put on his own SLP airbox) and see what his car is or was running... should give this guy an idea... he's a no B.S. kinda guy! BTW Eric I haven't been on here too much of late... when the heck did you get that gorgeous Chally??! Last thing I knew you were now living with elevation and selling your car! Guess a year or two went by and I missed it! Ok... Hijack over... Once again to the poster... good luck on your run... let us know how it goes!
All 98-02 F-bodies were LS1 blocks all the engines were rated at 305hp. SLP teamed up with Pontiac and made the Firehawk as well as the WS-6 and in the later years changed to a LS-6 intake. The WS-6 and Hawks had the same LS1, but with cai, ram air hoods, and better exhaust were rated at 320-35hp depending on the year. The regular T/A with auto came with 2.73's and WS-6 and Hawk's came with 3.42's. Even with the upgrades the WS-6 and Hawks were only 5-6 tenths quicker at best.

Should be a good race ESPECIALLY if the C is a base model without sunroof and such. Empty the trunk of spare and jack and sub if you have it... run your fuel at or close to the low fuel light... this will save a little weight... and get to the track early and let if cool off. IF you can disable the ESP use my previous post launch and hold on! Look forward to hear the results... good luck!!!

[/URL]MODS: AIRAID CAI, Heartthrob cat back, Diablo 91 CAI, 180 T-stat, BT Catch can
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Really not arguing as I agree it will be a good race, but here is what Cal passed on to me..
Hey Rob,
Yeah in 01 GM had two plants making motors for the T/A and Camaro and a few other labels, I visited both many times. However as production slowed they closed one and for a short time things went a little awry. The result was a few motors produced with an LS6 stamped block, LS1 higher lift truck cam and an LS6 intake. The LS6 had bay breathing windows between the cylinders and combined with the intake and higher lift cam did produce more power than the LS1. Now here is the kicker to me, instead of being proud of making a few odd, more powerful hybrid breed motors, GM refused to acknowledge the anomoly! We never had any f-body factory shipments sent to us for the SLP upgrades but I did get an 02 Camaro that was brought in by a customer and had the 12561168 casting numbers on the block (trust me that was a stock car as well) so I did see one with my own two eyes.Numerous people have since verified that they have an anomoly car by checking the casting numbers and a few by the windows upon opening them up, supposedly they say about 10% for 2001s, and 25% for 2002s IIRC. So yeah if you run into an F-body with one of those blocks beware Rob, I know that in theory its just a block, but trust me they do run harder than there 305hp LS1 counter parts! Also if you get one in the WS6 with a stick shift then they benefit from a uprated clutch, free breathing exhaust and the ram air. It was only good for 25ish HP in the LS1 cars but I would bet my ass its a lot more in the LS6 cars. I think Morgans WS6 had one, it ran a 12.9 on a hot day and ran down my Vette.

It goes on from there but I will spare the details! Lol... from what I know of the fbodies I got from him and I trust him as he was the man with GM and SLP stuff for years, so I just spat out what he told me.. apologies if I stepped on any toes...

Good luck on your race... I'm sure you will have fun either way!

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 PM

Garage
No toe stepping... I was a Pontiac guy for 38 years until I bought my SRT! The new GTO and G8 GT just didn't do it for me. I almost bought a Firehawk Formula 6spd, but I paid $6k more for a whole helluva lot more car in the SRT and it was newer and quicker! I hadn't heard of the LS-6 blocks in second gen F bodies, BUT having owned 70's GTO's and Firebird Formulas I know anything can and will happen at the factory. I can't wait to hear the results of the race!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
^ Agreed! One of my favorite cars I've ever owned was my '76 T/A 400 with a 4 gear! So I'm right there with ya! I'd only heard of it through him... just sharing what I had heard! Who knows how many people really had this one shot wonder and who claimed it after hearing it thinking it was something worth claiming to have! lol.

I would like to see the run... love seeing two powerful cars doing battle... especially when one is a 4 door sedan! lol
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Points: 9,072, Level: 1 Points: 9,072, Level: 1 Points: 9,072, Level: 1

Send a message via AIM to 07BBSRT8
Quote:
Really not arguing as I agree it will be a good race, but here is what Cal passed on to me..
Hey Rob,
Yeah in 01 GM had two plants making motors for the T/A and Camaro and a few other labels, I visited both many times. However as production slowed they closed one and for a short time things went a little awry. The result was a few motors produced with an LS6 stamped block, LS1 higher lift truck cam and an LS6 intake. The LS6 had bay breathing windows between the cylinders and combined with the intake and higher lift cam did produce more power than the LS1. Now here is the kicker to me, instead of being proud of making a few odd, more powerful hybrid breed motors, GM refused to acknowledge the anomoly! We never had any f-body factory shipments sent to us for the SLP upgrades but I did get an 02 Camaro that was brought in by a customer and had the 12561168 casting numbers on the block (trust me that was a stock car as well) so I did see one with my own two eyes.Numerous people have since verified that they have an anomoly car by checking the casting numbers and a few by the windows upon opening them up, supposedly they say about 10% for 2001s, and 25% for 2002s IIRC. So yeah if you run into an F-body with one of those blocks beware Rob, I know that in theory its just a block, but trust me they do run harder than there 305hp LS1 counter parts! Also if you get one in the WS6 with a stick shift then they benefit from a uprated clutch, free breathing exhaust and the ram air. It was only good for 25ish HP in the LS1 cars but I would bet my ass its a lot more in the LS6 cars. I think Morgans WS6 had one, it ran a 12.9 on a hot day and ran down my Vette.

It goes on from there but I will spare the details! Lol... from what I know of the fbodies I got from him and I trust him as he was the man with GM and SLP stuff for years, so I just spat out what he told me.. apologies if I stepped on any toes...

Good luck on your race... I'm sure you will have fun either way!

I think they would call that, A Factory Freak!

Thats an interesting story! Makes me want to hunt one down!

06' Charger R/T in magnesium...(GONE but not forgotten) 07' Brilliant Black 300C SRT8 Took its place...RIP 10-22-2010...1987 Buick Grand National...2013 300SRT8 Granite Crystal Black Vapor group, Radar Red Gut...94 Cobra Mustang Indy 500 pace car Replica under 10K miles #879-1000...08 SL550
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Yeah I thought so... they still rated them the same but the word is that they do run harder than most... just hard as hell to find from what I am reading myself on a google search and fetching big bucks. I will say that a guy I used to know had a 2002 firehawk with the SLP kit that supposedly was 345hp... I can say I ran against it when it did a 13.1 and have heard it ran high 12's when he got better at the launch... he was rumored to have the LS6 block as well... who knows.

Since we started this topic I've been searching for one! Lol

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Points: 9,072, Level: 1 Points: 9,072, Level: 1 Points: 9,072, Level: 1

Send a message via AIM to 07BBSRT8
Quote:
Yeah I thought so... they still rated them the same but the word is that they do run harder than most... just hard as hell to find from what I am reading myself on a google search and fetching big bucks. I will say that a guy I used to know had a 2002 firehawk with the SLP kit that supposedly was 345hp... I can say I ran against it when it did a 13.1 and have heard it ran high 12's when he got better at the launch... he was rumored to have the LS6 block as well... who knows.

Since we started this topic I've been searching for one! Lol

Those year F bodies would definitely run out! Ive seen quite a few turn low 13 high 12 second passes in stock form.

I too went on the hunt lol! And I actually found one local to me. Only asking 17K looks like a nice piece. Low miles. The only way to really know if its legit is to climb into the engine bay and look for the stampings.

2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 AM

Garage
I wonder if the Formulas were a reason for these quick times. They weigh less than T/As especially the hardtop coupes. Those glass T tops are pretty hefty. The later 02's also had a better flowing intake I believe. So it sounds like they were implementing future LS6 blocks in the outgoing F bodies. I don't see how a block alone could increase hp though maybe it ran cooler or was lighter? Regardless those cars were and still are bad azz! Had they put the 400hp LS2 in the F body it woulda been a beast!

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement