Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Transmission Fluid Service (In Toronto)

9K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  12srt8392 
#1 ·
Now that is about time I get my transmission fluid flushed and replaced, I started asking some questions that just about everyone who loves there car can imagine. Some of the feedback I've seen on the other threads in this forum have answered some of my Q's, but for the rest... here goes...

1) I've been using Royal Purple engine oil since I purchased my '06 300C in 2008; and I'm EXTREMELY happy with it. So, when a colleague suggested that I consider Royal Purple Transmission fluid I thought "why not?" The problem is that I don't know a dealer who will use anything BUT the transmission fluid that they have in the shop; and I also don't know of anyone who has used Royal Purple transmission fluid, so I have nothing to gauge it's reliability. If anyone has any info that could shed some light on this for me... I'd sure feel a lot more comfortable making my decision.

2) Is it best to do the transmission fluid at a Chrysler dealer? Or can anyone recommend a shop that does good work on 300C's? Personally, I'm not fond of dealer service departments, because I've known some mechanics in the past who have opened my eyes to some of the scams that they've been witness to. Word of mouth reputation has always done me well, so... :)

3) Once upon a time you could take your car into the shop to get a 'package' deal that included oil change, transmission fluid change, filters changed, lube the joints, plugs gapped, etc... So, now when you take a car to get the transmission fluid flushed/replaced, should we expect that they also make any adjustments to the transmission at the same time? And/or anything else related to the service?

Ok... backing away from the KBD, before I start writing nonsense.

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
Chrysler Group LLC

Narsil,

While I'm not familiar with the Royal Purple fluid referenced in your post I do have the information documented in the 2006 Chrysler 300 Export Service Manual.

Regarding transmission fluid, the manual states the following:

Recommended Fluids/Description
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
Mopar® ATF +4, Automatic Transmission Fluid is the recommended fluid for Chrysler automatic transmissions.

Dexron II fluid IS NOT recommended. Clutch chatter can result from the use of improper fluid.

Mopar® ATF +4, Automatic Transmission Fluid when new is red in color. The ATF is dyed red so it can be identified from other fluids used in the vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition. As the vehicle is driven, the ATF will begin to look darker in color and may eventually become brown. This is normal. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age. Consequently, odor and color cannot be used to indicate the fluid condition or the need for a fluid change.

FLUID ADDITIVES
Chrysler strongly recommends against the addition of any fluids to the transmission, other than those automatic transmission fluids listed above. Exceptions to this policy are the use of special dyes to aid in detecting fluid leaks.

Various “special” additives and supplements exist that claim to improve shift feel and/or quality. These additives and others also claim to improve converter clutch operation and inhibit overheating, oxidation, varnish, and sludge. These claims have not been supported to the satisfaction of Chrysler and these additives must not be used. The use of transmission “sealers” should also be avoided, since they may adversely affect the integrity of transmission seals.

#3 ·
Narsil, this is one job you want done by a good Chrysler service department, as they have special training and tools for working on your NAG1 transmission.

If you are off warranty, I would speak to the Service Manager about using a higher quality fluid from the standard ATF-4. I run Quantum Blue fluids - for engine oil; radiator; power steering and transmission - mainly to achieve lower running temps under race track conditions and to keep corrosion from water and other contaminants from damaging internal alloys.

The Royal Purple products are similar to Quantum Blue.

The service manager at my local dealership is also a racer and has no issues with my fluid choices (I have 140,000 km on the odo).

Hope this helps!

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

I've heard a number of local tuners (with Asian cars) compare Royal Purple with Quantum Blue. So, it would seem that at least indirectly, you've confirmed some of what I was curious about. I definitely want to keep the temps down! Went through the Smoky Mountains a while back on a road trip from Durham, North Carolina to Gattlinburg, Tennessee. Great trip, but I kept wondering what it was doing to my tranny. I've got 144K km on my car; and I intend on being it's last owner.

I guess I'll take a trip on over to Eastway Chrysler to talk to the service manager, as you suggested. The aforementioned local tuners suggested that I take it to a dealer, too. I just thought I'd check with other 300 owners in my area to see if they knew of a preferred shop to take it. (Even if it turned out to be the same local Chrysler dealer) I do know that Eastway has a reputation for procuring and selling aftermarket/mod parts... so, maybe that's a good sign!

PS - I've got nothing against Asian cars. It's just that you'll never find my 6'6" frame squeezed into one of them anytime soon. LOL! Besides, I Looooove the 300 series! The look of it is enough to keep me coming back. It's a bonus that I can drive it comfortably. :biggrin:

#5 ·
Dropped off my ride at Eastway Chrysler this morning.

I decided to go with the Royal Purple Max ATF for the transmission; and the Royal Purple MAX Gear for the rear differential. I've been using Royal Purple engine since I got the car; and it seems that all the feedback I've been able to dig up on their other products is equal to my experience with the RP 05W20.

Looking forward to picking the car up this afternoon!!!
:banana:

Also finally getting that P0520 (oil pressure sensor) problem resolved... I hope!

#6 ·
First impression a week after the Royal Purple Max ATF (transmission fluid) and Royal Purple Max GEAR (differential fluid) AND 3 weeks after having done a Royal Purple engine oil change (using K&N oil filter)... also cleaned out my K&N air filter a month ago:

WOW!!!

I mean, seriously... WOW!
HUGE difference over OEM fluids and run-of-the-mill synthetic oils.

Took a friend for a ride; and after the first acceleration he accused me of reprogramming the ECU. LOL!

Next on the service menu:
- Fix the hard thump I've developed in the front end. Already had it looked at. Taking it in at the end of the month.
- Find someone who can do the detailing I need. (5 stage)

Folks, I highly recommend the Royal Purple treatment all round. I know it's only been a week, but I've been using RP engine oil since I bought the car; and it's never failed me. If the rest of their products perform even remotely similar, it would be hard to beat at the price I got it.'

Thanks for all the feedback!
Cheers!
:)

#9 ·
First impression a week after the Royal Purple Max ATF (transmission fluid) and Royal Purple Max GEAR (differential fluid) AND 3 weeks after having done a Royal Purple engine oil change (using K&N oil filter)... also cleaned out my K&N air filter a month ago:

WOW!!!

I mean, seriously... WOW!
HUGE difference over OEM fluids and run-of-the-mill synthetic oils.

Took a friend for a ride; and after the first acceleration he accused me of reprogramming the ECU. LOL! Cheers!
:)
Im just curious, how can a fluid change make a WOW factor? I have never in 35 years heard of such a thing or experienced it either. :confused:

#10 ·
I'm no scientist... I'm just an I.T. guy. Maybe it was psychosomatic, or maybe it's just that the higher quality oil provided batter lubrication. Then again, considering that it was the first transmission and gear fluid change on my car, maybe the old oil had broken down so much that the difference was just that much more noticeable.

In any case, I'm still happy with it; and I'm sticking with the Royal Purple.

Cheers!

#12 ·
Has your transmission held up with that RP ATF? Im a big believer in their fluids too. I have run nothing but that in 12' srt8 since 7k miles and it runs smoother and after 6k miles
Why such a low mileage interval when the recommended is 60K miles? No wonder the "oil comes out perfect and not black?

#14 ·
Sure fooled me, eh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.