4 or 12 pin? - Page 2 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Interested in the Dodge Challenger? Be sure to check out the Dodge Challenger Forum for your Dodge Challenger information!
» Featured Product
» Buyers Guide

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums > Regional Forums > UK & Europe Regional Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

UK & Europe Regional Forum This section is for topics relating to the EU versions of the Chrysler 300 and diesel powered models.

300cForums.com is the premier Chrysler 300c Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Points: 4,523, Level: 1 Points: 4,523, Level: 1 Points: 4,523, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Car: 2008 (facelift) Chrysler 300 CRD (Lux Pack) "UVU"
Member Number: 37792
That is most helpful, I was wondering if there was an "early" and a "late" ballast and if the 12pin is indeed the later type.
Mods so far:Genuine Chrysler floor mats, alternator shield, 20% front 75% rear Llumar window tints, Brink detachable tow bar, internal boot release handle,chrome powder coated effect alloy wheels.......
must spend more money, must spend more money, must spend more money.............
(repeat until broke)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator
Points: 62,412, Level: 1 Points: 62,412, Level: 1 Points: 62,412, Level: 1
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%

Car: 2008 300c SRT-8 {LCC}
Member Number: 21130
the parts bin they use is a lash up, using bits from all over as they need to. You need to look to be sure unfortunately

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaiser Bill For This Useful Post:
grandtrousers (11-19-2012), Simon@thecustom300cshop (11-20-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

aaah b*ll*cks

So will Chrysler not be able to tell from a chassis number then?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

you can wing it (I know another member did, & bought the wrong one (I warned him to count first!)), but they seem to juggle certain bits/ages (I think they used a small parts bin & flew in stuff from the other factory (in cANADA) WHEN THEY RAN-OUT DURING A PRODUCTION RUN, SO THEY DIDNT HAVE TO WAIT FOR LOCAL SUPPLIERS (sorry about the caps)

I recently posted a link to an aftermarket ballast which cheaply replaces the Valeos..... that might be the way to go (IIRC it had a universal interface). I'll see if I can find the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmangt3 View Post
I should have checked what pin mine was when I had the car stripped down before buying a second hand unit. I got a 4 pin off Ebay for 65, bargain I thought, but guess what mine is a 12 pin Arrrrgggghhhh. My own stupid fault for not checking. What I have done this morning is swap the L & R units over to make sure it is the ballast that has gone and it is. So anyone want a 4 pin ballast for 65? I'll put it in the for sale section too. Off to try and find a cheap 12 pin unit now, you watch these will be as rare as hens lips.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

found this online from other make (Audi) owners with similar issues

Okay, the results are official. This LADG5L swap to LADG5 works perfectly.
The LADG5(4 Pin harness connector) ballast is obviously available for cheap from Mopar, however the earlier model LADG5L(2002 A4) is available but more expensive, similar to Audi USA pricing.
Some 2002 A4 models use the LADG5L ballast(12Pin Harness Connector) such as I have.
I have concluded that if you swap out the 12pin harness connector with a 4 pin harness connector, you are able to use the newer LADG5 ballast.
The wiring is exactly the same for the two different model Ballast harnesses. There's 12VDC and 0VDC. The only thing you need to do is pull the 12VDC and 0VDC pins from the ballast and insert them into the 4-pin harness connector in the new locations. I made 2 errors in guessing where they go when I installed and powered my Ballasts. Thanks goodness for Audi Engineering, I didn't hurt anything. On the third attempt, the xenon came alive. I will include two photos that gave me a bit of a headache, the first is a picture of the correct location of the wiring swap to the 4pin connector. The second is a drawing of the method for removing the pins without breaking anything. You owe me a beer if this helps you too!
matman1t
01-25-2010, 11:45 PM

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data...al_drawing.JPG
Here's a drawing of the method for removing the pins without breaking anything.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data...or_Picture.JPG
Here's a picture of the correct location of the wiring swap to the 4pin connector

Just so you guys know, for anyone with a 12-port connector who needs to swap to a 4-port, but can't find a 4-port, you can cut the 12-port down into a 4-port and make it work.

Take the wires out of your 12-port using a pin or just destroy the plastic around them:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/SN850704.jpg

You can re-use the 4 ports where the wires were originally IF they're still intact. (mine weren't so I chose the other side of the connector):
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...er/12-port.jpg

Cut the switch in two, making sure you do not damage the 4 ports you want to use:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/SN850706.jpg

Now place the wires into the now-4-port connector making sure the wires go into the ballast in this pattern:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...ger/4-port.jpg

Plug everything back in and:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/SN850710.jpg

Hope this helps anyone who can't get a hold of a 4-port connector in time. I was on a very tight schedule and had no other way of doing it.

and having found that theres only 2 pins you need to worry about, check this....

NEW D1S 35W CANBUS-PRO SLIM DIGITAL BALLAST - UK SELLER | eBay

Replacement D1S D1R Xenon Canbus Pro Hid Ballast kit for Jaguar Vauxhall Opel | eBay
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaiser Bill For This Useful Post:
badgx (11-19-2012), grandtrousers (11-20-2012), Sonsarus Amaryllus (11-20-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 62,882, Level: 1 Points: 62,882, Level: 1 Points: 62,882, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 5.7 Hemi STARTECH EDITION PRINS VSI LPG & KEIHIN INJECTORS
Member Number: 32952
To remove the front bumper takes around 10 to 15 minutes, its not too difficult when you know how. An extra pair of hand is helpful to hold the bumper

The video is a model without headlamp washer, on UK spec use a carpet and rest the bumper on it, without disconnecting the pumping for the washer jets.

Onboard Unipar SL700 & Redlflex F/B Laser Jammer @ 904nm light wavelenght & Road Angle Professional

Last edited by badgx; 11-19-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: washer jets advise
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 62,882, Level: 1 Points: 62,882, Level: 1 Points: 62,882, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 5.7 Hemi STARTECH EDITION PRINS VSI LPG & KEIHIN INJECTORS
Member Number: 32952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Bill View Post
found this online from other make (Audi) owners with similar issues

Okay, the results are official. This LADG5L swap to LADG5 works perfectly.
The LADG5(4 Pin harness connector) ballast is obviously available for cheap from Mopar, however the earlier model LADG5L(2002 A4) is available but more expensive, similar to Audi USA pricing.
Some 2002 A4 models use the LADG5L ballast(12Pin Harness Connector) such as I have.
I have concluded that if you swap out the 12pin harness connector with a 4 pin harness connector, you are able to use the newer LADG5 ballast.
The wiring is exactly the same for the two different model Ballast harnesses. There's 12VDC and 0VDC. The only thing you need to do is pull the 12VDC and 0VDC pins from the ballast and insert them into the 4-pin harness connector in the new locations. I made 2 errors in guessing where they go when I installed and powered my Ballasts. Thanks goodness for Audi Engineering, I didn't hurt anything. On the third attempt, the xenon came alive. I will include two photos that gave me a bit of a headache, the first is a picture of the correct location of the wiring swap to the 4pin connector. The second is a drawing of the method for removing the pins without breaking anything. You owe me a beer if this helps you too!
matman1t
01-25-2010, 11:45 PM

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data...al_drawing.JPG
Here's a drawing of the method for removing the pins without breaking anything.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data...or_Picture.JPG
Here's a picture of the correct location of the wiring swap to the 4pin connector

Just so you guys know, for anyone with a 12-port connector who needs to swap to a 4-port, but can't find a 4-port, you can cut the 12-port down into a 4-port and make it work.

Take the wires out of your 12-port using a pin or just destroy the plastic around them:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/SN850704.jpg

You can re-use the 4 ports where the wires were originally IF they're still intact. (mine weren't so I chose the other side of the connector):
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...er/12-port.jpg

Cut the switch in two, making sure you do not damage the 4 ports you want to use:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/SN850706.jpg

Now place the wires into the now-4-port connector making sure the wires go into the ballast in this pattern:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...ger/4-port.jpg

Plug everything back in and:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/SN850710.jpg

Hope this helps anyone who can't get a hold of a 4-port connector in time. I was on a very tight schedule and had no other way of doing it.

and having found that theres only 2 pins you need to worry about, check this....

NEW D1S 35W CANBUS-PRO SLIM DIGITAL BALLAST - UK SELLER | eBay

Replacement D1S D1R Xenon Canbus Pro Hid Ballast kit for Jaguar Vauxhall Opel | eBay

^^^ Excellent
Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Bill, you have now elevated yourself to god like status - many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement