Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Tailgate Struts

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  paul@thecustom300cshop 
#1 ·
I've noticed that in cold weather the tailgate on my Touring is less inclined to stay up unless fully open than in warmer weather....

Is this common?

I had thought that there was a thread dealing with these struts but maybe I was mistaken as I can't seem to find it.

Has anyone had them replaced and, if so, what's the likely cost?

#2 ·
David, the front bonnet struts are more common to go than the rears. I recently replaced the fronts with bits from ebay, they do occasional appear at reasonable price but not seem many rear struts. Might be worth the search :yup:

#3 · (Edited)
#6 ·
So did I until last night when it cracked me on the head once too often...

#9 ·
Next time I would like to try anything other than the oem ones, regrettably it was the oem ones that went on mine, they should have lasted much longer than that when it gave :yup:

#10 ·
Get some StrongArms - they don't cost much at all. Not sure about UK pricing or shipping though. Think I got mine on Amazon.

Now my hood and trunk are no longer guillotines. The StrongArms actually can lift my hood and trunk easily on their own once I start lifting.

Reactions: badgx
#11 ·
Thanks buddy :fing02:

#13 ·
Thanks for all the information gents. I shall have to make a decision over the next couple of weeks but I now know what to consider.

Which ones do you stock Paul?

#15 ·
So, after lengthy dialogue with those nice chaps at the Custom300cShop and some correspondence with Rock Auto in the US I'm still no nearer to getting the correct struts. It was suggested that I change the ends - put the old end from my existing strut on to the new strut - but I couldn't figure a way to do this without the risk damaging the piston on the new strut.

On top of every thing else, the top - tailgate end - of the strut, the one held on by a bolt [slightly larger than a T40 torque] didn't seem to want to move. I've been soaking it with WD40 every time I open the boot and today it finally moved!

So, the only thing I can think of now is to fit a ball fitting into the bolt hole and use a normal strut. I don't see any reason why this should be a problem apart from obtaining a ball fitting that is...

Does any one have any idea what size I would need? I can remove the existing bolt to get a thread size, is there a standard size for these ball fittings?

#16 ·
Just spoken to Chrysler UK and they tell me that the original struts were discontinued in 2008 and are no longer avaiable...

They tell me that the later struts are a direct replacement but need an additional part - the top ball fitting - which is part number 6508 306AA and is [according to the parts list] STUD, M8x1.25x44.80 - and that they are out of stock...

They tell me that they hope to have some soon...

So, at least I now know what I need.

#18 ·
Well, I ws waiting for the ones from Rock Auto to arrive - they assured me that they were the right fittings...
But, they arrived today and, no, they're not the right fittings.
I've emailed them and will wait to see what they say but your suggestion is exactly what I was thinking, thanks Paul.

#20 ·
Thanks Bill,

The top ones are the right ones - or look like it. However, I've got some coming from those nice people at the custom300cshop - after a bit of research between us they now have a replacement ball stud to swap fro the T40/M8 stud that fixes the originals on.

As for the second set, I have a pair here just like them waiting to be shipped back to Rock Auto...

#22 ·
Doesn't mean they're listed though. Looked when I first realised there were two distinct types and again today and no Strongarms with the right fitting listed. There are some others listed either from Australia or, as KB pointed out, from Germany. The ebay.com solution is to replace the top m8/T40 with an M8 13mm ball stud - plenty of those available on ebay.com. And, that's what I'm planning on.

#23 ·
Well, the parts arrived today at 12:30 - thanks to Paul & Tim - made a cup of tea while I checked them over and assembled the correct tools etc. and by 12:45 everything was done. Fitted and working.

For anyone who has the old type strut, it's a T40 screw/bolt on the top end which needs replacing with a ball stud.

Once again thanks to the Custom300cShop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.