Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Brake issue.

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  jeyaar789 
#1 ·
hey all, not been on for a while.
Ok I have a small annoying issue with my brakes. Last year I changed my discs and pads and a caliper seized up (passenger side).

So I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt it with new pistons, seals, slider pins and anti rattle clips. Which worked.....sort of.

The drivers side was fine, but I still renewed the slider pins and seals and put new anti rattle clips in.

The car brakes fine and passed its mot in Oct with no advisories. The tester did say the passenger side was a pass but wasn't braking as well as the drivers side. This was a little confusing as I thought it would have been the other way around.

Now the problem is the rattle from the caliper. It has rattled since I rebuilt the caliper. I can only hear it when the window is down and its only over little bumps (like a cobbled road). The rattle stops the second I put my foot on the brake and start to slow. And I occasionally get a quick clunk on the passenger side when I brake. It sounds like the pad giving a clunk as it makes contact with the disc.

It seems to me like the pistons are retracting back too far when my foot is off the brake, which makes the slider rattle and then makes a clunk as the pads make contact. I thought this could be due to air in the system but I've bled the brakes though 3 times with no difference. Twice gravity bled and once with the easy bleed air pressure kit.

So I'm a little stumped. I thought they might wear in a bit but its stayed the same. Any ideas??

See less See more
#2 ·
Could it be the shield rattling?

#9 ·
Try bleeding it to expel any air pocket from the system.

#11 ·
Had my discs replaced last year and it really did need lots of fluid pumping through the system - 2/3 litres at least - before it settled down and he told me then to drive it for a week then bring it back. Then they bled it again.

#12 ·
Could try suction method,

#13 ·
It won't be air in the system,it's probably your pads being free and moving in the caliper,quite normal if the brakes have been fitted properly,stick your ginger through the wheel or take the wheel off and see if the pad moves up and down..............why would anyone bleed the brakes when changing discs I'll never know.....

#15 ·
'cos they took the calipers off to free & replace the pins when they did the pads...

[I could have probably got another 350 to 400 miles out of the old pads, but what the hell, it's only money]

#17 ·
Is that a very small Garage?

#19 ·
Sorry. It was a pun...

#21 ·
Am I missing something ?

Unless you disconnect the brake caliper flexible hose from the rest of the brake system there is no need to bleed the system when replacing pads OR discs.

Some service manuals recommend you undo the caliper bleed nipple when pushing the brake pistons back in, never saw the sense in that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.