Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

300c wont start or crank

5K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Greg4992003 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a 300c 2006 5.7 which had a flat battery as i was away with work so just to top it off the key fell apart and died which had to be repaired. Car cranked over 3 times then died completly. Ive had a locksmith ot to program the key and that didnt work as immobiliser light was on, i then purchased a new dealership key which the same locksmith tried to program but wouldnt work still.

Finally i took the car to the dealership where it cost me another £50 for key to be reprogrammed but the car is still failing to start even though the imobiliser light is ou and all fault codes have gone.

Does anyine have an idea what i can do or get the dealership in the uk to do to try and save money on the £80 hr charges????

Its looking like this has been a common problem but no real solutions for after the immobilier has been reset.

Aaron

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I would also have gone with a faulty TPMS module as the first suspect.

Would have been so easy to prove before taking it to the dealers.
I wouldn't necessarily trust their diagnosis but I'm sure they will fix it for the type of cash they quote. (When they may well have fixed it for much, much less)

Jack

#10 ·
Sorry but its not just a case of getting the parts cheaper. Its a case of whether they have diagnosed the fault correctly, and whether you actually need the parts they say.

I do not trust dealers, especially when it comes to paying the money you are paying to get it fixed.

Jack

#12 · (Edited)
Hope it all goes OK for you, but it's not fixed yet.

A TPMS module failure frequently causes the type of symptoms you have.
Obviously no one can be certain that this is the fault in your case but I would doubt very much that the dealers have eliminated this as being faulty first.

Problem is you will never know now as I'm sure they wont admit to exactly how they diagnosed the fault.
If they eventually come back and say it also needs a new TPMS module you can bet your bottom dollar they didn't check the TPMS module first.

EDIT
See link below for a similar problem. THere have been others with similar problems but not necessarily causing the same fault codes.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/uk-europe-regional-forum/99514-p0685-p0513-codes-showing.html

Jack

#13 ·
Well spoke with the dealership and they won't get my part till sat and refuse to fit it till mon even though they have charged me £100 an hour labour, how easy is it to find the TPMS transponders and are they very expensive to replace??

The guy has told me all fault codes have been removed and both keys work now I just hope it's not another problem.

Aaron

#14 · (Edited)
The TPMS modules do not have to be changed to find out if this is the cause of your problems. They just have to be unplugged, then give the car a try and if it runs OK then run with the TPMS module disconnected for a while until your sure its OK.

Its normally the "Front Nearside" one that fails and prevents the car from starting as it corrupts the communications system. There are 3 TPMS modules on our cars so if unplugging the front Nearside doesnt fix it try the other 2 in turn but leave each one unplugged as you go along if the first one doesnt fix it just in the rare case that 2 have failed.. The front nearside is the usual one to fail as it gets the most water thrown up at it.
The front ones are fitted behind the bumper but can be disconnected in about 15minutes without removing the bumper. Just remove a few push in plastic rivets from the front wheel arch splash shield, prize the splash shield back, reach in and unplug the module or remove the bolt that hold the module in place to get at it better. See attached photo showing the modules. They are the 2 modules on the very outside of the bumper.

Don't let them fit major components until they have eliminated the TPMS modules.

TPMS modules are not certain to be the fault, but they are the most likely.

Good luck, theres a lot of cash involved.

EDIT
Spelling and missing words

Jack

Attachments

#15 ·
I've just tried chasing up their parts and they are useless, no tracking details or even a definite date of delivery.
I can order something from China off a dodgy back Street dealer and track it I'm sure a maindealer should be able to do the same.
I will try and speak with them later and see if I can get hold of their mechanic to ask him to try this or maybe I will bloody go try it on the sat when I'm home.

Cheers guys

#17 ·
Hi guys just been to the dealership and it's been a nightmare, they ordered a PCM reconditioned and it's a faulty I said it's not that then is it plus if it hasn't put any fault codes up you've got it wrong. I've suggested trying the TPMS transponders and they said they are getting a signal from them so they are working.

Then turns out it's the starter motor as well so I'VE got one deliver £80 48hrs saving £100 and another week wait from them, does anyone have an ideas what else I can try as if it is the PCM I can find one that has the correct sequence to mine 4606839AD ref 4892956.

The only one I found is in a pic linked will it matter if it turns out it wasn't just the starter motor.

Attachments

#18 ·
Do you have any confidence in your dealers ?

They still haven't disconnected the TPMS modules then ? They have just said they are working ?

Just because they are working doesn't stop them corrupting the canbus and possibly preventing it starting.
I still can't guarantee disconnecting the TPMS will fix it but they should at least give it a try ?

I would like to know how they jumped from a diagnosed PCM module fault to the starter motor being faulty.

Jack

#19 ·
Hi mate I'm afraid I have very little faith in the dealership at the moment.

I asked him to disconnect them today and keep trying the car and see if it was that causing the fault to be told they have checked them.
The starter apparently gave an initial clunk and came up with an error code or something today he still hasn't checked the starter solendoid that he initially said he would , I said that this PCM am I right in thinking is an ECU? , can be sourced from a chrysler breaker if you give me the skill numbers from the car, getting that was like pulling bloody teeth.

I have a used starter being delivered in next 2 days and Ivery contacted a ECU repair company to see if they can test it and rule that out for me.

Will take my brother down and argue the charges for a miss diagnosed faults and pay for what work i believe they have done and remove the car to his garage to get to work myself and hope they don't need to touch my car ever again.

Aaron

#20 · (Edited)
Hi Aaron,

Re your comment about ECU. Its just a terminology thing really. A PCM is a "Powertrain Control Module" and is the main engine management module fitted in petrol 300Cs.

An ECU is an "Engine Control Unit" and is only fitted in diesel 300C's.

Neither Petrols or Diesels have both modules fitted, just and ECU if diesel or an PCM if petrol. So yours will just have a PCM and not an ECU.

EDIT
Even if they did find the fault was a faulty TPMS they are unlikely to admit that was the problem.

Jack

#21 ·
Well I have a new starter delivered today so will have that tested and hopefully take my brother and his snapon computer and delphi ones and test the system again. Think I shall remove the car and have it towed. To his garage where he will try and get it running again

#22 ·
Don't tow it,it needs a full lift......it's an auto!!

#24 ·
OK so that's the new starter motor delivered and I've spoken with the dealership and request that the TPMS transponders be disconnected to rule that out.

Went and checked today the steering lock still wont engage and that sounds similar to a thread I read about those transponders.
Downside is they have left the PCM out of the car since the reconditioned one failed so ivery told them I will be there tomorrow and I will do it

#25 ·
Hiyya, I think it would have been best if you had unplugged the TPMS, sound like same fault I had in mine many years back.

Hope it gets sorted!

#27 ·
So another update the garage are still being massive dicks and refusing to try anything I suggest, so I took the PCM and had it tested by a company on the Isle of white and they confirm that everything is working as it should be.
Also ordered a PCM matching the serial number I had im my card just it was one AG instead of AH on tge flash up date is thos a problem? If not I'm going to make them fit and test this tomorrow hopefully, it's starting to look like I may have a recovery truck come and remove the car to do the TPMS transponders myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.