Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Replacement for MyGig - help!

9K views 55 replies 13 participants last post by  albertCRD 
#1 ·
Hi,

Got a facelifted 2008 CRD which came with the MyGig and Boston Audio amp. Sound quality is ace, but the maps are a bit out-of-date and the whole unit just feels clunky and, well, OLD. I'm after a replacement but it needs the following:-

Must be plug and play - I don't want to have to mess about modifying wiring looms just to get it to work. More importantly it has to play nice with the Boston amp.
Sound quality must be as good as the MyGig - the primary purpose for a stereo is to play music, this should not be compromised.
Ideally must have DAB, or be able to add it as an option. Curse Planet Rock for moving from FM in the Midlands :(
Must have bluetooth hands-free, sat nav and USB MP3 playback functionality.
Ideally must be Android-based, so I can use Co-pilot or similar.
Would prefer it to look as close to stock as possible.

Anyone know of anything that ticks all of the above boxes?

JD

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
This is the unit I have gone for, there was not the additional cost of wiring adaptor (need an extra £90.00 if you get the universal unit) you don't have to fluff around getting the unit to fit the facia and you get the SWC working, and you get the radio station displayed on the EVIC, and worked out of the box with the Boston setup, all in all they are great units for the price.

I have also added a DVB (TV) front dash cam and a reverse cam, it a very good unit, I have brought several Navall units for my previous car (Rover 75) and they do have a UK dispatch & repair facility.

#11 ·
please post photos of the install. i'm keen to upgrade my unit and what's involved to fit.
i guess a large din bezel as mine is only the 2 knob cut out style.

their website is a bit crap, no details about the other products,
ie i know what obd is, but what is their "OBD II USB Connection" for, if radio has bluetooth and i have an adaptor already, do i need to pay extra?
reverse camera - yes, but which one?
then what about the "parking sensors"? video or no video?

guess i need more information.

:popcorn:

#14 ·
Sorry to say that I have the later model with the MyGig unit, and I have now changed it for another model FROM THE NAVALL 3 unit, as I test the head units out for the seller.

They supplied the reverse camera, which has built in line markers, you are able to connect a OBD reader to the USB and get Touque working.

The unit has built in Bluetooh with works great on these unit.

#19 · (Edited)
The Navall 3 unit is a faster unit, hence the difference in price the Navall Star.

I have been in conversation with another tester who has the Star unit and he highly recommends the Star unit.

I cannot give my opion yet as there is not one for the 300C in the country, but I am expecting one withing the next week.

From waht I understand the Star is the one to go for, they are also looking to update the O/S to 6.00 from 4.4.4 within a short time.

I will post pirctures and give a review when I get it installed.

#22 · (Edited)
On a related note, I noticed whilst browsing the internet that there was a club discount for the Navall head units DAB option for people who were part of the MG Rover club, are there any plans for anything similar for forum members on here? I like the idea of DAB, but $159 seems a little high - a nice 300c club discount would make it much more appealing, and probably result in me buying the head unit, like, now :)

JD

#25 ·
HI,

I am still awaiting the tester unit from RadioGuy, from what I understand it is faster than the Navall 3 unit, but until I get the unit I do not know.

The DAB can be easy added to the unit, and the reciption is very good, but I do live in London, and I belive there are a number of repeaters dotted about.

#32 ·
Tony - you have a PM

#36 ·
No far from it.
The boot up time is awesome about 8 seconds (from cold start, and about 3 seconds when the unit has been running for a while) compared with other Android units I have had (between 40 seconds and a minute)

The screen reflection is very low compared to other units and you can still see the screen in bright sunlight. You can adjust the brightness for most modes (Main Screen,SAT NAV, TV, Video ECT)

The GUI looks good, the add-on DAB works fine, but you cannot save pre-set stations you have you scroll up and down the station names (software update needed).
Everything works fine, I have added a Bluetooth OBD unit, and have loaded Torque (which allows me to read the error codes on the car).

I do have a couple of issues with it, which I am sure will be corrected in very near future.
1) Backup cam does not work (Canbus error, adaptor needs reprogramming).
2) No radio station name on the EVIC (Canbus error, adaptor needs reprogramming).
3) When you store a radio station it only shows the frequency not the station name, software update needed.
4) Sat Nav voice is too loud (the reverse of other units I have had which you cannot hear the voice) I am going play with the programe settings

I am still waiting for the DVB (TV unit) to arrive, but I am sure that will be okay.

Well worth the money, its the best Android unit I have had to test and I have had about 20 different units now.

I will upload some pictures and video over the weekend.

Tony

#38 · (Edited)
Hi Lance
The Nav3 is a higher spec machine, but the NavStar just seems a faster unit, I have had no problems running all my apps (PowerAmp, Torque, Google, DAB, ES File Manager, the list goes on and on!!) there is no lag opening any of the apps.

Navall are having problems getting the factory to upgrade the Nav3 unit which is running on 4.4 or 4.6 O/S to 5.1 or 6, I know Sean (Navall), is currently in talks with the factory to get the Star unit upgraded to 6 very shortly and it is meant to be lighter than 5.1? I am not an expert on Android O/S.

Overall I am more than happy with the unit, I don’t think I will be changing it any time shortly.
The biggest draw for me is the boot up time, but the time I have started the car and start putting on my seat belt I have sounds from the head unit.

I was holding back on doing a full review until I had it working the way I think it should be running, with no negative feedback on it.

#40 ·
Really interested in this thread, I've just bought a double din fascia (the standard silver fascia) as I currently have the 2 half moon fascia for the standard cd player. I'm looking to upgrade my unit to an android one like this as it gives you more customisation over other units.

My only concern is the price, it's a lot more than other android units or even big brand units such as pioneer or alpine, is it worth the money?

#44 ·
I do not know about the original MyGig, as when I brought my car it already had an afdtermarket head unit, but it has Google voice so you just say "Ok Google" and then you can speak to the unit and tell it to dial a number or a contact on the phone.

There is no information shown onthe EVIC on the Star Unit (the last unit I tested only had the radio station name showing, this may change in the futre), I have set the unit so that the Sat Nav program starts automaticaly when the unit starts up, so it awlays warns you if there are any up coming speed cams, if you have a route planned it gives full voice instruction, so I cannot see the point of a direction arrow on the EVIC.

Forgot to add a picture of the reverse cam (Backup cam) in action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.