Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Hi, from Cornwall

771 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Spacemonkey 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm based in St Austell, Cornwall and looking to purchase a 300c this year.
Previously been looking at the estate version as having a huge dog, but now having moved with a very large garden, have decided to look at the saloon version too.

I'd like some feedback on things to look out for when buying please.

I currently have a Kia C'eed 59 plate which I'll be getting rid of.

Any advice gladly received!

#2 ·
Hi, Not sure if a huge dog would actually be comfortable in the estate back as it's quite a low roof line. And the salon is better anyway. If you can make it work, you can fold the seats in the back so might fit the dog in the back on the saloon for short trips just in case? The saloon boot will take two bodies and a shovel no probs so it's quite good for most duties!

From my short ownership (2.5 months and 10k miles) I would say watch out for front suspension clonking. They all seem to suffer at some point but new bushes and links on the ARB ususlly shuts it up and doesn't cost much at all but a good haggling point nonetheless. They can wear through the wiring loom where you see the silver aircon pipes on the back end of the engine on the passenger side so watch out for that as it flashes up a myriad of electrical 'faults' which in reality is the shorting wires. Insulate and refit and job is done. Swirl flap motors sieze, which to do properly is £1500 or so job or £200 odd in parts and countless hours BUT.... a 50p resistor from Maplins inserted in the wire connector tricks the ECU into thinking all is cool in Swirl Motor Town and normal service resumes. You don't need them and 99.9% of the time they sieze in the open position. Tyre pressure monitor sensors play silly buggers but after driving a few meters they normally sort themselves on mine. The alternator is prone to failure as the location makes it a good target to oil drips when filling up the engine and also the diesel fuel pipes can leak nearby. This will result in a knackered alternator (from £150 exchange for a refurbed one) but 5+ hours to change it!! There are covers available from Chrysler (I have 3 spares...) to prevent this. Fit one asap if you don't already have one...

Apart from that they are great! I get pretty decent economy on the motorways/A roads (49mpg at 55mph, 46mpg at 70, 38mpg at 80mph) but round town they take a bigger sip. Mine averages out at 38mpg by calculations which I can live with considering the size and comfort. In perspective- a trip from the south coast to Birmingham 4 up via a stop in Didcot and Bicester at 70mph cost £64. The exact same trip 2 up (minus Didcot detour) in a 1 litre eco crap Focus at 70mph with the same driver cost £54 the following week! I can live with that!!! My commute has been done in a 2Litre diesel auto A180 Merc these last 2 weeks and it averages 44mpg at 80mph so not a huge difference. Around town it is much better but the bulk of my driving is long distance. Parking is a shit as it is quite a bit bigger than most councils and NCP like to cater for, but that's not as bad as the pickups that cruise around. One thing though- it is simply the comfiest car I have EVER had, and believe me I have had a few- gave up counting YEARS ago after car number 68. Can get out after 3.5 hours straight driving without any aches and pains, and that's with a shagged back and knee. What I spend in extra fuel I gain my no longer having to go to a chiropractor.

Oh, and they look mean as hell in black.

Buy one. You won't regret it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.