Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Thread size query

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Kaiser Bill 
#1 · (Edited)
I've killed the heads on the self tappers that hold in the number plate bulbs. These are listed in the parts manual as "pan head self tapping screws 19-16x.75 "

These appear on web searches, but only for US sites selling Chrysler stuff. Can anyone translate this into generic European thread sizes for me, because a search of the dear old WWW doesnt seem to help?

#3 ·
noooo, wrong end of the stick there Pappa....theyre already out - I just dont want to put them back in with stripped Philips holes in them, or I'll never get them out again in the future. I can see what they look like (they look like 3/4" size 10), I just want a translation of what the manual says they are into real money, as I dont want differing ones re-cutting the threads in the plastic - that method leads to madness!

#4 ·
Why not take one of the existing screws to a home center and size a couple replacements up by eye?

And get a new Phillips tip for the screwdriver while you are there!

#6 · (Edited)
Why not take one of the existing screws to a home center and size a couple replacements up by eye?

And get a new Phillips tip for the screwdriver while you are there!
this isnt the easy to manage US! Home stores here generally deal with home stuff only, so car bits are a small afterthought (as, therefore, are self tapping screws). Our largest chain of generic car bit, 'Halfords' is a joke, and nowadays seems to be more interested in bicycles and camping - no chance there. If you want most things, its an ebay job from small stockists, hence the query. And importing the actual screws from the US of A is crazy, as they want $4:32 each screw before they even get out of the warehouse. As an aside, the screwdriver was brand new, and the screw heads ruined it. The screws were well seized into place

I used the size 10 versions I had in stock, and coloured the heads (silver) with indelible marker. The length was shorter, but they still grip ok as the thread pitch and diameter were near enough identical

.....all of which doesnt answer the query!

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
My initial stab at it, and I just got up and haven't had anything exit my body yet (in other words I'm not just pulling this out of my arse), is it's 3/4" in length, 16 threads per inch, and size 19.

Oh sure, "what's 19 mean?" you ask. Hell, IDK. I'm thinking .19"

Basing it on this:
Text Font Line Parallel Number

American Fastener - Self Tapping Screws

For another curve ball, if you go to this page and select ST1.9 (IDK, that could be the 19) you get some cool info you could check against. Other info on this site, lots of it, that maybe can help.

I have to back away now, because I is late!

Good luck, I'll be looking for the correct solution for when that call from Jeopardy comes in!

#10 · (Edited)
yeah....the nuts thing is, the car is built to metric standards......I cant see a random imperial (US standard) screw getting in there

Over here, self tappers (for some reason) are a numbered size....I replaced the originals with self tappers which seem to be the same thread (but shorter in length). Theyre listed as Size 10.....which is 4.8mm. Weirdly the legth is 1/2", it flies in the face of metrification (lots of woodscrews here are 1", 2" etc)

We're a weird mix in standards, but even our old imperial scale stuff gets lost over there. We can measure weight in pounds, but after a certain number we progress to stones, hundredweights and tons. You guys just keep upping the pounds, after around 14 pounds we change to stones or hundredweight.....I know I weigh 15 stones, but you'd say 200 pounds (or whatever).....and that would mean nothing here....its like measuring your weekly salary in pennies, (14 pounds to a stone, 8 stones to the hundredweight, 20 hundredweight to the ton....but hundredweight is not normally used for weighing people).....how you know what you mean when you say a truck weighs 2400 pounds is a headache to me - we have 10 ton trucks etc!

#11 ·
Well, it didn't take much to lose me there. My eyes were reading what you threw down, but soon my brain was going (in a low mono-tone voice to self), "How can you not know what 2400 pounds is? And why they hundredweight, it's like two totally different words that they put together and yelled 'I call it! But they did away with the space between, that's got to be a real time saver when you.... at what point is a child not xx months, but x years old...it's awfully quiet upstairs, wonder what the kids are up to..."

And that was the first 2 seconds in (or is that ounces there?). :jester:

So you're mixing a degree of force of gravity (atmosphere?) with rocks, and then with a quantity weight, and then back to rocks.

Totally baffled, but what I got out of it, is you got some big stones on you!

And no screws. :pokey:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.