Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Will a Saloon Roof Rack fit a Tourer?

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  PKucinski 
#1 ·
Hi

As the weather seems to be getting better, I am thinking of getting a roof rack for the tourer (For the bikes). I am not able to find a good looking one for the tourer, most of them are for the touring model with Roof Rails ( havent seen many around).

So the question is, If I get a kit thats meant for the Saloon, will it fit the touring version? I am looking at the Whispbar model which sits flush to the roof.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers
Prav

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Prav
Are these on ebay, I cant seem find the one in the pics? As above ^^^, I think they should fit. Can you add the link, cheers

#5 ·
Hi, when I was hunting the web for bars for my Tourer I'm sure I recall "someone" saying the rear profile of the Saloon was different from the Tourer as in it was narrower and slightly lower due to the lack of the tailgate. Whether its enough to make any difference in the fit of roofbars I don't know. The Thule site was little help as was their customer service when I spoke to them. Nick

#7 ·
:popworm: just seen Roofbox website. Its look like the Whisper is adjustable by 420mm or 210mm at each end. I trying to find some installation instructions on the web, it might have a bit more info. I'm sure it will but the feets have got to have some sort of cushioning or soft padding to protect the paintwork. Allow scratching the paintwork :Eyecrazy:

#8 · (Edited)
Found the instructions, its adjustable S17 with K392 kit. The cushioning I think is the protective strip??? Not sure how effective though, see if you could make it out (page 5 of K392 instructions) ps I typed in as reference Dodge Magnum as the car listed is saloon but they also have online contact numbers, I would double check with them directly. Tel 015396 21884
Hope it helps :)

Attachments

#11 ·
Sounds like wheel bearings gone sort of noise......have this complaint loads on the phone and when I ask them the question if they say yes I have a roof rack I ask them to remove it first before bringing the car in......9 times out of 10 they ring back and say "how did you know?"...... lol

#10 · (Edited)
Hi, after a long search recently for a set of Thule bars for my Tourer ( no roofrails ) I eventually found an elderly early set on E-bay which, whilst not as attractive visually as my Disco3's Aero bars with their fancy feet, fitted perfectly. My concern as I said before was the "estate" shape at the rear versus the "saloon" shape. The bottom line, having now had a real hard look, is that the rear "clamps" which hook into the door opening have a very slightly different fitted angle to how they sit ( with their rear edges closer to each other ) as against the front ones which sit "parallel" to the body. The fact that you can't fit them any further rearwards anyway because they go into the door opening as opposed to the kind which go onto roof rails or t-tracks seems to be indicative they should be ok. Would Chrysler go to all the trouble of designing different door openings/ door bodies/window glass etc to suit a differing shape - at that particular point! or would any shape change begin from the "c" pillar back more probably? Presumably the same as Thule, Whispbar "hand" their feet (??) and identify them so they get fitted in the correct location to suit the bodyshape. regards Nick

PS And as if by magic while I was typing away up pops the Thule instructions from 'antijam' for my elderly set which I didn't have - and now I do!!! Ain't this site wunnerful!!!

#12 ·
300c touring roof bars definitive answer?

Folks, I'm days away from buying a 2007 touring, but for me having roof bars is a must as I need to transport my self- built open canoe (15'). So.... DO the whispbar through bars clamp onto the rear of a touring as the distance between door top and flat roof looks different from saloon/ sedan. I'm willing to make modifications to the gripper but would be good to know if these just fitted as they are. Ideally I would like the whispbar bars that do not protrude but I figured the through bars would be better as there was more adjustment for adapting to the slightly different touring roof. If it is unneeded I will definitely get the more aerodynamic looking ones that finish at the feet. I looked at the Thule 2178 kit etc but they are hard to come by, very expensive and don't look quite as good in my opinion. I will probably be leaving the bars on so would,like them quiet and attractive. Any experience of the whispers on touring would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.