Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

FFS! Steering Coupler now gone!!!!

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Stef 
#1 ·
I've had a creaking develop from up front over the last couple of weeks.
It is now bloody embarrasing!
The cause?
The Steering Column Coupler. Chrysler cost £360!
Anyone got any other ideas?
Rock Auto don't seem to have them, and I'm gonna try USAutomotive tomorrow.

If it weren't for the 6.1 engine being so damn good, I would've got rid of this car long ago.
The chassis components are under-designed and not up to the job.

I've just replaced droplinks again, after less than a year!

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers
Steve

#3 ·
^^^ twice on that, Charlton definately worth a try. Coupler might be the same dimension as 5.7 or even a diesel, they will know for definate.

#5 ·
There is a prop shaft maker/modifier in St Neots near the A1 if you want to go to the trouble of getting one made.
Personally, I'd get one off a breaker, plenty on an online auction site !
How many miles on your car now?
Get yourself a C6 Zo6 for the daily commute, It might stand up to it better!

#6 ·
Cheers guys, nothing listed on Charlton but have sent them an email.

@Steelblue, I'm now on 56,000 in the SRT8. I think that puts my "C" total at almost 200,000!!! :)

Steve

#7 ·
Any news on that Steve?

#8 ·
Nothing at the moment matey.
Not heard back from Charlton.
I am going to go under the car today and WD40 the f*** out of the coupler to see if that quietens it down :)
Cheers
Steve

#10 ·
Slightly off track, but has your friend got LPG kit? If so, what make is he running?

#12 ·
Where was the filler installed? Also how does it run with MDS, any problems??

#13 ·
The filler is bolted to the tow bar underneath the car, its a pain to see let alone get to. I have no idea if the mds works or not. TBH he hardly uses the car (thats why the coupling has seized) and probably hasn't even noticed if it does or doesn't work.

Sorry I cannot be of any more use to you mate. I can pm you his email if you want it but I don't think he'll be able to help much if at all.

I have been out in it with him driving it once and then I scared the crap out of him in my old CRD lmao.

#14 ·
Yep, I have been warned by a few about the drop in power with gas. Not too bothered with that as long as the drop is OK for daily use & comes with the option to switch at any time from gas to petrol :yup:

#15 ·
The lpg on my Grand Cherokee hemi was a nightmare. It just wasn't up to the job. I constantly had miscellaneous misfire errors. On full thottle it just couldn't provide enough gas so would drop into petrol with a jerk. It was definately down on power. I don't know how it coped with MDS. That said, I am a fan of LPG. I had a Merc ML320 with a Prinz system with no problems. A Zafira 2.2 with a Stag system, no probs. And my Sebring with a Landi Renzo no problems.
I know that the later lpg systems are very sophisticated and are canbus compatible but you have to pay alot for them.

Rgds Doug L

#16 ·
Its all sequential now and each cylinder has its injector. LPG ecu takes the signal from the factory injector wiring harness and it runs like a piggy back. There are alot of eastern European components out there, but I am seeking something reliable, something like prins, part of Honda Co. Fuels prices are set to rocket :yup:

#17 ·
If it helps at all I have a BRC sequential kit on my VXR8 which has a 6.0L LS2 Chevy engine in it, runs very nice, minimal power drop and I'm getting a cost basis of 38 MPG.

Ideally for a 5.7 you'll want two gas reducers and make sure the injectors have a high bhp rating.

Luckily it was on the car when I bought it (without paying a premium for it) and has been very reliable.

Look in to valve seat recession to, not sure how much of an issue on the Hemi's when running on LPG but you can get a lube system fitted such as the Flashlube Electronic I have on mine.

Stef

#19 ·
Not too bad mate thanks, been struck down with some mystery illness which leaves me in a lot of pain in the legs and arms 24/7, but apart from that, still a petrol head! Just ticked over 12 months with the VXR8 now and it's been pretty reliable so far, bloody cheap for servicing, annual service and MOT was about £130 so it's cheaper than the SRT8 to run, getting the cost equivalent of 38mpg with the LPG it came fitted with.

Even though it's remapped with a CAI, it's not quite the same for all out acceleration as the SRT8 was, not far short, but a bit more fun to drive being a manual and it makes some great pops and bangs on over run with its bi-modal Wortec exhaust!

How's things with you? Business still keeping you busy and the car ok?

Stef

#20 ·
Cars fine mate,still smoking the tyres....and still loving it.....lol,business is really good for this time of year,I haven't stopped,I'm knackered when I get home....

#21 ·
That's good news all round. No more issues with the immobiliser?

There's a very nice Dodge Charger SRT8 up for sale at the moment which I keep going back to online, looks very nice the latest shape but I can't justify the outlay when mine does everything I want it to, maybe if I win the lottery!

Stef

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.