Winter storage tips - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Winter Driving Discuss issues / tips here related to driving your 300 in the ice and snow.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 20,849, Level: 1 Points: 20,849, Level: 1 Points: 20,849, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Winter storage tips

Well winter is here and that means that it's time to put the 300 up for the winter. I'm just wondering what you guys do for the long term storage. The car will be in a garage all winter and I will frequently start it. Just wondering what everyone else does like seafoam and other stabilizers. Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Points: 8,617, Level: 1 Points: 8,617, Level: 1 Points: 8,617, Level: 1
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Toasteroven's winter storage routine:
- change oil
- Fill the tank to at least 3/4, put in fuel stabilizer (instructions are on the container), and drive the car for at least 15 minutes to get the new mix circulated
- with car on, turn air controls to recirculate to close exterior vents
- pump up tires to 40PSI (avoids flat spots). Some folks recommend jacks or blocks to avoid suspension memory... your choice. I've never had an issue.
- clean and detail interior
- scent-free dryer sheets in the interior; I put one in each rear passenger footwell, and one in the trunk
- I used to put either small trays of kitty litter or other moisture-absorbing stuff in the interior; I don't bother anymore
- two showercaps and elastics; stick them over the exhaust tips to prevent little critters from getting in there
- unlock the doors (parking inside, right?!) and either remove and trickle charge the battery, or get one of the in-car ones. Personally, I've just removed the battery, placed it on cardboard to keep it off the concrete floor, and let it sit
- to avoid critters nesting under the hood, open it and prop it up with something to avoid the hood struts from weakening
- if you have critters (mice, etc.) around, put a couple of traps around the garage

While stored, do not start it up. This will introduce moisture into the engine and oil. Check on the car every week; look for drippings, droppings, droopings. Drips means fluids, droppings mean critter crap, and droopings means low tires, odd suspension sitting, hood struts.

When you take it back out;
- drop the tire pressure to your preference
- stick the battery back in, and put in all your preferences again (radio presets, etc.)
- take the shower caps off the exhaust (!)
- remove all the dryer sheets / moisture collectors
- run the tank until the low fuel light flashes, and top up with good fuel

In the meantime, let the agony of waiting for clear roads consume you.

"This car is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by toasteroven; 12-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 36,136, Level: 1 Points: 36,136, Level: 1 Points: 36,136, Level: 1

Garage
Yep ^^^^ what he said, had mine in the garage now for a couple of weeks now.Bought my trickle charger at wally world.and yes DO NOT START.

See My Garage
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/garage/1129

SRT A Factory Hotrod
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 20,849, Level: 1 Points: 20,849, Level: 1 Points: 20,849, Level: 1

Thanks guys for the tips

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Points: 4,741, Level: 1 Points: 4,741, Level: 1 Points: 4,741, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Did a little searching and came across this thread. I just bought a 2010 CSRT8 a couple of weeks ago and it has now been parked for a week. I'll probably leave it parked until the weather gets a bit better (I live in Manitoba).
Since it won't be parked for an entire winter, but rather a month or so, what do you suggest doing to it for storage? It is stored in my garage, clean, and filled with gas. I need to check the date the oil change was done...lots of miles till another one is needed but not sure about by date. Right now the battery is installed in the car with no trickle charger.
Since it is for a relatively short amount of time should I just be firing it up every weekend? I've only got fire/theft insurance on it, but I could take it for a drive down my street once a week just to get the tires rotating and the fluids moving.

Thanks for the help. I think I definitely need to consider winter driving this beast next winter. It is hard enough not driving it for this short period of time.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 54,114, Level: 1 Points: 54,114, Level: 1 Points: 54,114, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,610 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Definitely start it up and let it warm up and stay that way for at least 30 minutes. If you want to drive it, go ahead. Don't shut it down too soon as only getting it barely up to temp then shutting down creates some condensation issues. Warm it up good!

If it is going to be sitting for that long during the winter get it up off the tires. Check the pressure regularly. And add a fuel system deicer, such as HEAT or others, to keep the fuel system from freezing.

Michael
2006 300C SRT8
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Points: 4,741, Level: 1 Points: 4,741, Level: 1 Points: 4,741, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the reply.

However, I think I might over-rule myself on this one. It is so nice out today (just above freezing) that I'm really getting the itch to drive it. For the $100 or so per month that regular insurance costs I'm thinking I might as well just insure the beast. If I'm going to let it run once and a while anyway, it might as well be on the road at those times . I'll drive the C when the roads are dry and if it gets sloppy from the snow melt or we get more snow then I'll still have the 300M to drive.
I guess I was trying to save some cash by not having all three of our vehicles insured at the same time, but really I'm only saving a month anyway as I'd for sure want it insured by the end of March, at which time the 300M can be parked or maybe the Durango sold. We'll see...I really need to figure out what we are going to do with our vehicle situation. I really don't want our most expensive vehicle parked for half the year.

Decisions decisions. I can just see it now...I'll insure it and then we'll get 2 feet of snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement