Drum circle somehwere over there? - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
2nd Generation Chrysler 300 Discussion This is the area for discussion of the new 2nd generation Chrysler 300.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaiser Bill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 533, Level: 1 Points: 533, Level: 1 Points: 533, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Car: 2015 Chrysler 300S
Drum circle somewhere over there?

Hi Guys, thanks for reading.
Very small issue but just having purchased our 300s I hear a very slight sound during suspension cycle. Could it be an upper shock bushing? could it be something loose in the dash or engine bay? I am not sure but the sound does interfere with normal listening level music. You can turn up the volume to overcome it but it's there, and I seem to think it could go away with effort.

Since this vehicle rides so quiet it is not out of reasonable to find it annoying.
While driving, especially over a series of small road bumps, it sounds like someone playing a bongo drum 2-3 blocks away. like you can barely hear it but he's drumming away. It has a slight softening to the tone, so it might sound like a "clarinet bongo" drum if that makes any sense.

I have it scheduled to be driven by the tech, however I thought it might be good to have you guys chime in for things to look for, or, better yet a way i can fix it myself. I'll do the shocks here if that's what it takes.

Talking to the service writer resulted in a suggestion of a "noise cancelling" system making the noise. How awesome would that be? lol

Hopefully I described my sound well enough to give you an idea. If it just makes you chuckle than that's great also.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Points: 104,545, Level: 1 Points: 104,545, Level: 1 Points: 104,545, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2006 Chrysler SRT8
Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,035 Posts
Garage
Without hearing it in person I'd not be able to diagnose it.

Good luck with your visit to the tech.

Michael
2006 300C SRT8
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I found something.
The safety latch part of the hood latch is a little loose. ever so slightly loose but when it moves it makes some considerable noise. Looks like it was manufactured that way. There is no isolation material between the metal pivot shaft and lever itself. I picked a shorter spring out of my spares hoping it would hold the lever tighter, but it made no difference. There should be a plastic bushing in there.

The lever can move a little and since it is mounted on the core support, the noise can travel. I stuck a piece of foam behind it to hold it solid just as a test. soon as the snow clears ( we got a surprise snow storm today) I will go for a drive and check if this is indeed the source of my bongo dilemma

Wiggling it sure sounded like the noise I am hearing. Only way to tighten it up properly though is a new latch it seems.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I'm updating this as I do not think the latch is the issue

The sound is such i do not think i can capture it on a video but i am going to try.

Sounds like a turkey on steroids gobbling in the distance-or, as i described earlier a soft single tone bongo drum beat. Not sharp, but like it was hit with a soft hand. Combine it with someone going in and out with a plastic straw in a styrofoam cup, although not as raspy.

I am beginning to think it may be the upper strut bearings. man I need a quick jack but Santa stole mine.

Suspension sounds can be problematic to diagnose, and may even be thrown to sound like the come from the other end of the vehicle. This one seems to be coming from behind the dash. Therefore, it leads me to believe maybe it is the front strut bearings. Possibly a sway bar to frame bushing makes the noise when it pivots? The smallest of bumps in the road will make it sound off, however I cannot get enough suspension cycle with my weight to hear it. Weird.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:11 PM
Points: 165, Level: 1 Points: 165, Level: 1 Points: 165, Level: 1
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Car: 2006 chrysler 300c
Garage
Check your sway bar and your end link bushings.

2006 300c 5.7 Corsa Sport Cat Back,Mopar CAI,Intune I3 w/93 CAI tune,Mishimoto 180 tstat,UPR Catch Can,2.82 rears,Daytona Charger Interior. 20" Factory Chrome Clads

1/4mi. [email protected] 60ft. 2.14 on street tires
The Following User Says Thank You to Stryk9 For This Useful Post:
jtsmith (05-24-2019)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 PM
Administrator
Points: 122,651, Level: 1 Points: 122,651, Level: 1 Points: 122,651, Level: 1
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Car: 2008 300c SRT-8 {LCC}
Garage
my upper wishbone made a squeaky noise when it was worn - like a creaking bed spring.

My hydraulic strut made a clunk on low speed bumps when the upper nut was slightly under torqued....at higher speeds you couldnt hear it
jtsmith likes this.

Watching You Avoiding Me!

Last edited by Kaiser Bill; 01-04-2019 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaiser Bill For This Useful Post:
jtsmith (05-24-2019)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Coming back in here to admit-share I have done nothing about this issue , save for a trip to the dealer for the air bag and Uo8 recall's, where they charged me 47.50 to diagnose the noise I earlier had explained they would hear after changing the oil. All they needed to do was park it and they would hear it. They also raped us for 68.00 for the oil change.

Had an absolutely horrible experience with the dealership, if I went into it now it would be a rant. So 2 weeks later here we are looking at the noise.
Their diagnosis was "bad strut mount" with a 960.00 estimate for replacing both front strut assemblies. Believe it or not this wasn't even the issue which upset my wife and I. Along with the fact I like this car the main reason we bought it was the fact this dealership was the closest to us. But the other things which happened were so silly I decided right away they have no business touching our Snowflake. Nope.

The noise has not worsened and to be honest is very slight yet loud enough to be of concern. So, I think I will take the course of the obvious, and replace the sway bar end links first as advised by @Stryk9

Thanks for the advice and comments. We'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement