Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

small diesel leak

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Harry.Pain 
#1 ·
Hello there ...new member here...I've had a startech crd touring for 2 years and I adore the car... ever since we have owned the car it has had a small diesel leak ...it's been into the garage 3 times and each time the mechanic has said its clips on plastic fuel pipes near the filter that work loose..
It will dry for a few months then start again.
Is there a modification or upgrade we can do to cure this fault permanently?
Any advice appreciated

Ian

#2 ·
What type of clips do you have on the pipes? Are they the "crimped" type, as originally fitted, or are they jubilee type or the nut and bolt type? When I replaced my fuel filter, I discarded the original crimped type thinking that they couldn't be re-used, but I later found out that they could be re-used. However, I decided to use the nut and bolt type and made sure they were done up good and tight. Nevertheless, after a short time, there were signs of leakage and it appeared that the nut and bolt fasteners had worked loose somehow. I then re-tightened them and also applied some loctite to the threads, which seemed to fix the problem. If you do replace the clips, you need to be aware that the inlet and outlet pipes are different diameters.

BTW, welcome to the forum. If this is your first post in 2 years, I can only assume that you haven't had much go wrong so far. You will find many knowledgeable and helpful users on the forum and there is also a vast archive of threads and posts which can be searched for solutions. Where are you located? Going by your user name, might it be Oz?

#3 ·
Thanks for that reply....I think they have tried both reusing the old clips and jubilee types...however I've not actually seen what they have done, so I'llpolitely suggest new clips and locktite when I book it in.
The cars been great, really has...always turns heads and had been great for towing a horse box (miles better than the m.l it replaced)
I'm not in oz, I'm in the north of sunny England!!

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.