possible driveshaft problems - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting General Discussion on Issues / Trouble Shooting problems and solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Car:
possible driveshaft problems

I have an 07 300c awd with the 5.7 hemi. The last few months a pretty intense vibration has developed in the undercarriage or center of the vehicle. I've had it looked at by a bunch of different mechanics but they've all given me the same answer about not knowing what's wrong. It just keeps getting more noticable though. It used to just be noticable when slightly accelerating at around 1800-2000 rpms. It felt like running over a continuous rumble strip. It isnt tires or wheels because I've had everything changed since it started and the steering wheel doesn't shake like tire problems. Now its almost constant but less intense. I tore into it and the center support bearing on the rear drive shaft has a lot of play in it. The driveshaft literally moves 1/8th to 1/4 inch each direction. The rubber ujoints look ok but I really think it's the driveshaft. Can anyone confirm if that sounds normal? A mechanic told me it was supposed to be loose in there but it doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited by jacobb; 05-19-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Points: 9,191, Level: 1 Points: 9,191, Level: 1 Points: 9,191, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2015 Chrysler 300C Platinum
A little fore and aft play is required so that the drive shaft does not bind up between the trans and diff (they both move a little on their mounts under load and when the suspension flexes). I suspect the transmission. They continuously try to "learn" and can get "confused". Try resetting the TCM (disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes). They are also extremely sensitive to fluid level. Look carefully for any sign of leakage. Have the fluid level checked by a competent service technician (temperature matters!) or even go all the way and have the trans fluid changed (service intervals area only 60k miles).

2015 300C Platinum w/5.7-Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT engine & 8-speed Transmission, Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl paint, Indigo/Linen interior, Light Group, SafetyTec 1, SafetyTec 2, Harman Kardon Audio

Last edited by JGarten; 05-24-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement