Have trouble with my fans - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
General Discussion General Discussion topics about the Chrysler 300 and other LX models that don't fit within the specific listed categories below.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CKwik240

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Car:
Have trouble with my fans

Okay so when I hit 231 my high fan turns on with my low fan but when I pass 218 my low fan don’t turn on it only turns on when my high fan turns on I’m wondering if someone knows why it doesn’t turn on at low !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Car:
It’s a Chrysler 300c 2005 5.7 hemi
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Points: 104,819, Level: 1 Points: 104,819, Level: 1 Points: 104,819, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2006 Chrysler SRT8
Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,035 Posts
Garage
Check your low speed fan relay.

Michael
2006 300C SRT8

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 85,741, Level: 1 Points: 85,741, Level: 1 Points: 85,741, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoR View Post
Okay so when I hit 231 my high fan turns on with my low fan but when I pass 218 my low fan donít turn on it only turns on when my high fan turns on Iím wondering if someone knows why it doesnít turn on at low !
If you are implying that one fan is for low speed and the other is for high speed, that is incorrect. When running they should both be running.

Both fans are supposed to run at the same time. Their speeds are the same (low or high) as controlled by a set of relays that electrically switch them into series operation at lower temperatures to run at half speed, or into parallel operation at higher temperatures to run at high speed.

You may have faulty fan motors or faulty relays.

There are three fan-controlling relays that are identical. Check your owner's manual or on-line resources for exact locations. You might try interchanging them within the IPM (integrated power module, aka the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment) to see if things change, and then separately test the relays for coil and contact conductivity to determine which is/are the possible problem.

Or at least one of the motors is fried. Motors are available for purchase individually, but as both motors have the same wear and tear on them replacing both at the same time is the way to go. A complete fan assembly (mounting frame, motors, and blades) can be had from an on-line auto parts supplier for around $110. Any shade tree mechanic can do the changeout with basic tools.

Good luck solving your problem.

2005 300C BRILLIANT BLACK, DRL, Mesh Grill/Vents, Chrome Pillars & Fender Trim, MDS Indicator, Quad Brake Lights, Tinted Windows, De-Molded, K&N Aircharger, 180 T-Stat, Flashing Sidemarkers, Predator Cust. Perf. 93 CAI Tune
1997 MUSTANG COBRA 'VERT, TRIPLE BLACK, Vortech S/C'd., ECT Mod., 4.10 Rear, Lowered 1&1/2", 18" Saleen Wheels
1950 FORD TUDOR FLATHEAD V8 - Sold 6/27/14 after 16 years of fun.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 85,741, Level: 1 Points: 85,741, Level: 1 Points: 85,741, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
FernandoR(and anyone else who may need some radiator fan assembly replacement DIY help):

Here is an article I wrote-up based on my radiator fan assembly replacement experience:

RADIATOR FAN ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT
2005 CHRYSLER 300C W/5.7L HEMI ENGINE

About a month ago [July 2017] when the weather around here (SE PA) got hot (90-degrees plus F) I noticed that the engine coolant temperature started getting quite a bit higher than usual. Then one day about two weeks ago I sat in the car with the engine idling and the A/C on while my wife did some shopping. After a bit the A/C wasn’t all that cold anymore and the thermometer symbol appeared in the temperature gauge. Eventually the EVIC showed 260-degrees F. I checked the radiator cooling fans and they weren’t running. On the ride home, with air flowing through the radiator at 60 MPH the coolant temperature came down to around 210F. Upon returning home I checked under the hood and found the radiator cooling fans standing still.

So okay, time for some diagnostic work. I pulled the three relays [1) RADIATOR FAN HIGH, 2) RADIATOR FAN HIGH/LOW, and 3) RADIATOR FAN CONTROL] related to radiator fan, and tested their contacts and the relay coil for continuity and overall functionality. All were fine.

Then, with the ‘RADIATOR FAN HIGH’ relay removed, I tested for 12-volt power availability at the ‘86’ terminal connection point within the relay’s socket of the IPM. The test was positive for 12 volts so it had power if the FCM closed the ground circuit.

Then I tested for continuity to ground from the ‘30’ terminal connection of the relay socket to see if I could find what should be the rather low resistance of the radiator fan motors. The result was no continuity, a.k.a. an open circuit! BINGO: bad motors!

I surfed the internet and found several fan assemblies available for about the same price. I chose a mid-range price from RockAuto.com. As it turned out they shipped from Maryland about 100 miles south of my location. The FedEx charge was a reasonable $8, and the assembly delivered the next day. Not bad at all.

I found a “how to” video on-line of a 2006 with a V6 engine (which allowed more room for removal than the V8), where they drained the cooling system which required raising the car off of the floor to be able to remove the belly pan to access the cooling system drain valve.

To keep it simple I opted to forego the raising and draining procedure. Having previously changed out the stock thermostat for a 180 –degree F unit, I knew that I could simply remove the two bolts of the t-stat housing and only loose a minimal amount of coolant, then flop the hose aside with the hose still attached at its radiator end, and hopefully gain enough clearance to be able to, after removing the two bolts holding the fan assembly in place, slide the fan assembly out, and back in, as demonstrated in the video. And sure enough, with some careful manipulating and pushing, it worked!

And as they say “installation is the reverse of removal”.

A slow speed (40 MPH maximum) test drive with the ambient air temperature at about 80F and A/C on high, showed the coolant temperature ranging between 188F and 190F as the fans cycled on and off.

Another job done!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Car:
Okay so I replaced the relay the fans don’t turn on till 226 but I heard people say it normally turn on from 218-222 the low setting
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:10 PM

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoR View Post
Okay so when I hit 231 my high fan turns on with my low fan but when I pass 218 my low fan don’t turn on it only turns on when my high fan turns on I’m wondering if someone knows why it doesn’t turn on at low !
So I have a 2012 Chrysler 300. When I turn the ac on in the car, the radiator fan immediately goes on and stays on if the car is stationary. Also, when it's super hot outside, the air doesnt blow super cold unless the vehicle is in motion. ANY THOUGHTS ON WHAT IT COULD BE?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 PM
Points: 657, Level: 1 Points: 657, Level: 1 Points: 657, Level: 1
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Car:
Garage
I've seen it reported so many different ways I'm not sure which one to run with, but I do know that the fan on the drivers side of mine isn't coming on at all, and the one on the passenger side kicks on and off in short intervals.

Had all kinds of plastic on plastic bashing noises from the nose earlier today, which is what prompted me to investigate. I guess I'll be getting the whole assembly tomorrow... lol

00 Silverado
06 300C
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:46 PM
Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Car: 2013 Chrysler 300S V6
Have trouble with my fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dds010 View Post
So I have a 2012 Chrysler 300. When I turn the ac on in the car, the radiator fan immediately goes on and stays on if the car is stationary. Also, when it's super hot outside, the air doesnt blow super cold unless the vehicle is in motion. ANY THOUGHTS ON WHAT IT COULD BE?
The fan turning on is normal. If the vehicle isn't moving, the condensor simply won't get enough air to reject the heat otherwise.

How hot is it outside? On really hot days, it may be normal for the AC not to be able to reach the coldest temps if you're not moving. The good news is if it's cooling, your system is at least working. You can check for obstructions in front of the condensor and check your in-cabin filter to make sure it's not clogged. If these check out, you may want to have your refrigerant level checked.
TheKrell likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:34 PM

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKwik240 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dds010 View Post
The fan turning on is normal. If the vehicle isn't moving, the condensor simply won't get enough air to reject the heat otherwise.

How hot is it outside? On really hot days, it may be normal for the AC not to be able to reach the coldest temps if you're not moving. The good news is if it's cooling, your system is at least working. You can check for obstructions in front of the condensor and check your in-cabin filter to make sure it's not clogged. If these check out, you may want to have your refrigerant level checked.
If the temp is 80 and over, the fan comes on basically as soon as the car is started up. And yes the a.c. doesnt blow at the maximum coolness level unless I'm actually driving. I will however check for obstructions and the in cabin air filter like you said also....my friend has a 2014 dodge charger and his radiator def doesnt come on as often as mine, even with his temp turned down to "lo" and nine being set at 70-74
Sponsored Links
Advertisement