2012 300c 3.6l - Spark Plugs - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
General Discussion General Discussion topics about the Chrysler 300 and other LX models that don't fit within the specific listed categories below.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brandon Gohsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Car:
2012 300c 3.6l - Spark Plugs

This post is 1 part question and 1 part mild rant. lol

One of the things that excited me about the 300 was that it is rear-wheel drive. I don't have anything against front-wheel drive, I just grew up with rear-wheel and it kind of feels like home. I also like engines that aren't...sideways. That being said, I also have a 1970 Eldorado which is both front-wheel drive AND has a lateral engine, but that's a post for a different time/forum.

Anyway, when changing plugs, doing things like unbolting engine mounts, putting the transmission in neutral and rotating the engine to get to the back plugs has never been a lot of fun.

Well, the Red Sled has about 87,000 miles on her. And while I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with her, you can feel the dull, subtle, inconsistent vibration when you first start her up and let her idle. So, I probably have the factory plugs and need to change them. What could be easier? Anyone who ever played with an Erector Set can change a spark plug, right? You could probably do it with using just your bad hand!

I suspect that some of you are already smiling, if not laughing audibly. And the rest of you are confused.

Before I begin any car project, the first thing I do is go watch several videos of "professionals" doing that job. And I knew I was in trouble the moment I saw videos longer than 15 minutes for something as trivial as plugs.

For those of you who are not laughing yet, Chrysler designed the 3.6l such that the air intake plenum completely blocks the 3 plugs on the driver's side. This means that the throttle body needs to be disconnected from vacuum lines, the wiring harness, etc, the plenum and throttle body need to be removed. This also means replacing the intake plenum gaskets (which probably isn't such a bad thing).

Now, I've replaced a few intake manifold gaskets in my life, so this isn't a horrific job. The bolts are all easy to get to, there's plenty of room, etc. It just seems overly complicated for something as trivial as spark plugs. I mean, they put the thought into making the oil filter so easy to get to. It's right there at the front of the engine. Well done! So why in the name of Zeus' bunghole did they make the plenum overlap one side of the engine?!

End of rant.

My new "triple platinum" (which I'm pretty sure is chemically impossible) plugs showed up yesterday. Intake plenum gaskets should be here in a day or so. Hoping to get to this over the weekend, weather permitting.

Details and photos will be forthcoming...
TheKrell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 AM
DGO
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 12,400, Level: 1 Points: 12,400, Level: 1 Points: 12,400, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Car: 2008 & 2013 Chrysler 300c CRD & 300 AWD
Love to see this step by step with photos if you have time to do that as I'm thinking of doing the same on my 2013
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:46 AM
Points: 23,958, Level: 1 Points: 23,958, Level: 1 Points: 23,958, Level: 1
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Car: 2016 Chrysler 300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGO View Post
Love to see this step by step with photos if you have time to do that as I'm thinking of doing the same on my 2013
The best video I've found. Very detailed.

Robert

]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement