Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

2006 300c car sometimes goes into some sort of limp mode

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Luis1221 
#1 · (Edited)
hey, i recently purchased a 300c with 150k miles the car runs good most of the time but sometimes randomly the car feels like its stuck in first gear and doesnt accelerate over 3000 rps and the auto stick function doesnt work, stoping and staring the car again fixes this issue, took it to several mechanics and they all want me to replace the transmission.

Forgot to mention the car doesnt throw any code when doing the key trick, and no check engine on.

#2 ·
When was the tranny fluid and filter last changed? Supposed to be 60K-mile interval.

#7 ·
ended up changing the transmission fluid and added the correct amount according to the manual but the issue still persists one thing i noticed is that before it happens you can hear some sort of bump noise and feel it in the car when that happens it feels like its on limp mode but odly enough it shifts gears.

i think whats happening is the transmission isnt downshifting to first gear and it gets stuck in second so when i leave a stop sign the car feels really heavy and almost forced until it picks up speed, the mechanic did told me i had to take the car to get the transmission reprogrammed? im not sure if its true or not but im going to try that and if it still doesnt fix it ill just drop another transmission.

#8 ·
Couple of years back, my 06 300c RWD was doing the same thing. Questions first !!! 1) where are you located ? 2) did you find the problems? Since this is 5 monsth down the road !
What I found , after 3 delightful episodes with limp mode ,follow's...the speed sensors on the 300's . ( ABS ,ESp etcetera..are very different than Fords et al. Chrysler in it's finite wisdom , instead of using the standard square toothed sensor on the axle and an electrical pickup, used a plastic disc pressed on the axle just inboard of the velocity joint . The reason I asked about location is that if your up north where salt and sand and dust abound, that grit can settle in on the plastic disc and abrade it to the point it fails ! usually you won't notice anything different other than fuel mileage decrease , as the computer will try to do a work-around to keep things running. The fun starts , with the Dashlite dance and limp mode when the Drivers' side disc separates from the axle !!
Afer multiple trips to the dealer , and the cash passing , I finally started tearing into the rear end and found that the Disc's were both totally seperated from the axle (curbside was gone !!). The only fix was to replace both axles. !!!what a P.I.A. !!!!Drop exhauset system, pull all the differential retaining bolts, lower center section so as to allow the longer passenger shaft room to be removed, shuck the center section toward the passenger side to give room for the shorter Drivers side shaft...One shaft was found in Boston, the longer one in LA..I'm in weatern Mass.....took a week to get everything together to do the job ! The shaft's ran about 800.00 bucks.
while everything was apart I did the rear brakes and shocks. If your in it that deep , do the rear wheel bearings also since you'll have them out also. !!!
OH AND THE TRANNY CONTROL UNIT GET'S THE MAJORITY OF IT'S INFO FROM THOSE 2 PLASTIC DISC'S !!!
So that's my nickel's worth !! good luck !!.. Oh and DON'T HAVE IT DONE AT A DEALERSHIP ...THEY WILL TRUELY SCREW YOU !!! AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN...YOU GET MY DRIFT ? !!!

#9 ·
Couple of years back, my 06 300c RWD was doing the same thing. Questions first !!! 1) where are you located ? 2) did you find the problems? Since this is 5 monsth down the road !
What I found , after 3 delightful episodes with limp mode ,follow's...the speed sensors on the 300's . ( ABS ,ESp etcetera..are very different than Fords et al. Chrysler in it's finite wisdom , instead of using the standard square toothed sensor on the axle and an electrical pickup, used a plastic disc pressed on the axle just inboard of the velocity joint . The reason I asked about location is that if your up north where salt and sand and dust abound, that grit can settle in on the plastic disc and abrade it to the point it fails ! usually you won't notice anything different other than fuel mileage decrease , as the computer will try to do a work-around to keep things running. The fun starts , with the Dashlite dance and limp mode when the Drivers' side disc separates from the axle !!
Afer multiple trips to the dealer , and the cash passing , I finally started tearing into the rear end and found that the Disc's were both totally seperated from the axle (curbside was gone !!). The only fix was to replace both axles. !!!what a P.I.A. !!!!Drop exhauset system, pull all the differential retaining bolts, lower center section so as to allow the longer passenger shaft room to be removed, shuck the center section toward the passenger side to give room for the shorter Drivers side shaft...One shaft was found in Boston, the longer one in LA..I'm in weatern Mass.....took a week to get everything together to do the job ! The shaft's ran about 800.00 bucks.
while everything was apart I did the rear brakes and shocks. If your in it that deep , do the rear wheel bearings also since you'll have them out also. !!!
OH AND THE TRANNY CONTROL UNIT GET'S THE MAJORITY OF IT'S INFO FROM THOSE 2 PLASTIC DISC'S !!!
So that's my nickel's worth !! good luck !!.. Oh and DON'T HAVE IT DONE AT A DEALERSHIP ...THEY WILL TRUELY SCREW YOU !!! AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN...YOU GET MY DRIFT ? !!!
hey thanks for the reply, ended up selling the car since the mechanics here couldnt find the issue and bought myself a nice charger rt road & track which has been perfect in every way lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.