vibration at low rpm - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,368, Level: 1 Points: 1,368, Level: 1 Points: 1,368, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2006 chrysler 300 C
vibration at low rpm

I have a 300c hemi 5.7
The problem is that the car is shaking at low rpm which somehow stops shaking when I step on the accelerator.!!!! did anyone experience this before???
The Vibration takes place between 1,000 & 1,800 RPM (approx.)
Sometimes it shakes and then switches off on its own when I brake suddenly to zero km/h
And I doubt that it is the air fuel ratio sensor because the symptoms are different since the rpm is stable and I don’t feel any strong misfiring!!
PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited by SHARKY; 12-01-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,368, Level: 1 Points: 1,368, Level: 1 Points: 1,368, Level: 1

Car: 2006 chrysler 300 C
Yesterday I changed the spark plugs and the rough idle decreased by 70 % but still there is somthing wrong there
does anybody think its the fuel pump ? this issue is making me CRAZZY!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Points: 795, Level: 1 Points: 795, Level: 1 Points: 795, Level: 1

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKY View Post
I have a 300c hemi 5.7
The problem is that the car is shaking at low rpm which somehow stops shaking when I step on the accelerator.!!!! did anyone experience this before???
The Vibration takes place between 1,000 & 1,800 RPM (approx.)
Sometimes it shakes and then switches off on its own when I brake suddenly to zero km/h
And I doubt that it is the air fuel ratio sensor because the symptoms are different since the rpm is stable and I donít feel any strong misfiring!!
PLEASE HELP!!!
I have that as well but with the 3.5L V6. It happens between 1600 and 1800 RPM, stationary or moving, and when accelerating or deccelerating.

Dealership told me it appears to be a vibration echo coming from the air intake manifold. Told me to come back if it gets worst. I can clearly hear it and so can the dealership. Service manager told me that he can't action it because he wouldn't be able to localize the origin of the vibration precisely.

FR Bosse

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Points: 6,437, Level: 1 Points: 6,437, Level: 1 Points: 6,437, Level: 1

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC 24409 View Post
I have that as well but with the 3.5L V6. It happens between 1600 and 1800 RPM, stationary or moving, and when accelerating or deccelerating.

Dealership told me it appears to be a vibration echo coming from the air intake manifold. Told me to come back if it gets worst. I can clearly hear it and so can the dealership. Service manager told me that he can't action it because he wouldn't be able to localize the origin of the vibration precisely.
Thats BS. If it's under warranty and there is a definite problem they need to resolve it. I'd tell the service manager to have a tech look it over and contact an engineer with what he thinks it can be. There is no reason they couldn't "moreso" pinpoint the issue with a stethoscope then contact the engineers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Points: 1,869, Level: 1 Points: 1,869, Level: 1 Points: 1,869, Level: 1

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300c
I think we are having the same issues. Is your car making a groaning noise that sounds like it is coming from the tranny/rear end? And it seems like the vibration occurs because of this? Seem people have said that it maybe an APPS reset, or PCM reflash but it sounds like no one is for sure. I think I am going to take my car to a dealership and see what they think. Good luck with your problems.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Points: 1,869, Level: 1 Points: 1,869, Level: 1 Points: 1,869, Level: 1

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300c
Mine obviously stops when I let off of the accelerator but it also stops when I push the accelerator somewhat aggressively, like half throttle or more. So putting on the brakes does not necessarily stop it just letting off of the throttle.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Points: 27,467, Level: 1 Points: 27,467, Level: 1 Points: 27,467, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Car: 2008 Chrysler 300C Walter P. Chrysler Executive Series
OK, thought I might chime in in this thread. I had acquired a 2008 5.7L 300C with 120K-miles on the odometer, and had previously owned a lower mileage (purchased new) 2006 300C. One thing that I noted with this higher mileage 300C was that on MDS mode at low RPM there (was) a vibration exactly as described here. Never noted this problem/symptom on my 2006 300C. I went through all kinds of diagnosis, searching through countless forum posts, and attempted solutions including applied software updates to the ECM and transmission, changing spark plugs, changing to a slightly heavier motor oil (5W-30). Nothing yielded a resolution.

A couple weeks ago while changing the water pump we had to remove the intake plenum and noted a lot of gunk caked on the inside of the throttle body, and also heard a tapping noise from the upper right side of the engine. We determined the tapping noise was coming from the (white) PCV valve. I did a bit of researching regarding the PCV valve and learned that Chrysler changed the part number to a -AB and was now using the black PCV valve over the previous white/-AA valve. I acquired a new (black) one and installed it. However, that did not seem to change anything except the tapping noise was gone in the improved -AB part.

2-days ago, I picked-up an $8 can of CRC Throttle Body Cleaner. I disconnected and unbolted the throttle body and gave it a good cleaning to where it was spotless, and reinstalled it. Upon starting the car I noted that it seems to idle a bit quieter than previously, though I didn't think that it had idled 'noisy' previously. I guess you could say it idles 'smoother' now than before. But the payday was that upon driving it through town at 25-35 MPH (low RPM), I did not feel that annoying vibration in the steering column, floor, or in the seat of my pants. I was starting to think that maybe it might be my imagination and wishful thinking, so I wanted to drive the car for a couple of days before I posted this. I made sure I could view the EVIC that shows the 'MDS' telltale while I was driving slowly through the streets under cruise or light load.

Yes, I can CONFIRM that the MDS vibrations are GONE!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 PM
Points: 140, Level: 1 Points: 140, Level: 1 Points: 140, Level: 1
Activity: 88% Activity: 88% Activity: 88%

Car: 2005 Chrysler 300C
turn the key to the "on" position 3 times (leave it to "on" on the 3rd try) This will show your trouble codes. Find out which cylinder has an error code. Start by switching out the coils, do the test again to see if it shows the same cylinder error code. If it changes, it's the coil. If not, it's the cylinder.
Check EGR valve, shortrunner valve, clean your throttle body and idle control valve. Make sure that your air filter is clean. I recommend pouring seafoam directly through a vacuum line while someone revs it at 2000rpm as well as with gas fill ups and in the crankcase (oil)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Car:
At this point, you probably don't need yet another direction from the peanut gallery, but this sounds similar to behavior I've run into on other vehicles.

Vibration at low RPM is, quite often, due to 1 or more cylinders either not firing or partially firing (slightly off timing, dirty plug, aging plug wire, etc.) At a higher RPM, the mass of the engine smooths out the "bumps", similar to a flywheel. The fact that things improved when you replaced the spark plugs is important. That leaves other potential misfire culprits such as old plug wires or the actual timing. Plug wires are fairly straight-forward. Timing is a bit trickier to sleuth.

If your timing belt is showing its age, you may have some "float" in the timing. Again, this would be less noticeable at higher RPMs but would affect all cylinders, not just one. If one or more cylinders is firing slightly too soon, or too late, you'll lose some power and it feels like a dull thud. You may also have a coil pack that is no longer sending spark to one cylinder, or sending a weakened spark. I once had a van that literally kept eating coil packs.

I tend to start diagnosing things from the simplest, least invasive (expensive) and work my way up from there. If it is a timing belt, you'll want to deal with that sooner rather than later. If it fails, that can be potentially...really bad. lol

Good luck!

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement