New owner - a few questions please - Page 2 - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
UK & Europe Regional Forum This section is for topics relating to the EU versions of the Chrysler 300 and diesel powered models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,080, Level: 1 Points: 2,080, Level: 1 Points: 2,080, Level: 1
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C
Thanks again everyone for the really useful info. I had to Google FOBIK. My car does use a metal key on the fob so I guess the recall doesn't apply. The lock button seems to need around 12 presses before it works but the open and boot buttons work correctly. I may try and source a new key/fob2 from somewhere.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get the alloys refurbished? I live in Hampshire but don't mind travelling a reasonable distance.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:14 PM
Points: 16,741, Level: 1 Points: 16,741, Level: 1 Points: 16,741, Level: 1
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C CRD
Hi there and welcome!

See my post about tyres. Still very happy with the Vredesteins. Also, info on TPMS. Changed all of mine to rubber stems. Available on fleebay for around £50.00 each.

I've been told Lepsons are THE people for wheel refurbs.

Good luck.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 13,919, Level: 1 Points: 13,919, Level: 1 Points: 13,919, Level: 1
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Car: 2010 Chrysler 300C
For an oil pump I use a cheap ebay one, which does 2 services before springing leaks and going in the bin. Search for "12v 60W oil pump" on ebay, filtering for UK sellers and you'll find them at just under £11.

Sounds like your keyfob is faulty. It's probably worth the investment in a genuine replacement to end the annoyance once and for all. IIRC UK dealer ones were around £75 plus programming, but you can often find them on ebay for £30-£40 - you then have to bung a few quid to a Fiat/Jeep dealer to program it to your car. There's a US seller offering a new keyfob for under £30 delivered at the moment - others may be able to confirm whether keyfobs all use a common RF frequency. Check with a dealer first on the recall though, as I once bought a keyfob off ebay, took it to the dealer for programming and was offered 2 free keys under the recall instead!

The Bosch S5 battery is about the best you can get without going for an AGM one, which our cars don't really need. It has higher capacity and supplies higher starting current than the S3.

If you're getting your wheels refurbed, that's the time to think about putting TPMS valves back in, otherwise it's going to cost you a few quid a wheel to get them fitted.

Last edited by talldave; 10-19-2018 at 07:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to talldave For This Useful Post:
dm575 (10-21-2018)

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Points: 113, Level: 1 Points: 113, Level: 1 Points: 113, Level: 1
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Car:
I had to open my key fob and re solder the battery terminals and clean off the board, and replace rubber buttons that had melted or something and cracked around edges (got new one by ordering a 6 dollar replacment uncut key with no electric guts)... this fixed all my issues including not starting sometimes due to key fob recognition...! Give it a look. Open it up and check inside condition...

Also... what did I miss about an oil pump to remove old oil? Why? I'm in my first year of owning my 300c
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,080, Level: 1 Points: 2,080, Level: 1 Points: 2,080, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C
Thanks LetekHimself.

I actually solved the mystery of the door locking. I found that the power lock button on the front passenger door was slightly broken. The clip holding it in place was not complete. I discovered that if I pushed it firmly to the unlock position, when I then got out of the car and pressed the key fob lock button, the car locked immediately....bit odd but at least I know why.

Re. the oil pump, it seems that it is quite popular amongst 300C owners to pump the oil out rather than drain from the sum plug.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 04:53 AM
DGO
Major Contributing Member
Points: 12,803, Level: 1 Points: 12,803, Level: 1 Points: 12,803, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Car: 2013 & 2014 Chrysler 300c CRD & 300 AWD
I don't know why you'd want to pump the oil out when on the CRDs a pair of ramps and a catch can that can take 10 litres is enough. That way you get all the oil out. You'll need the tool/wrench for the filter too
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Points: 38,108, Level: 1 Points: 38,108, Level: 1 Points: 38,108, Level: 1
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by talldave View Post
1) It's a yank motor so they can't spell tyre, and pressure is measured in bar - there's a display that shows the pressure (in bar) of all four tyres, is that the one you're seeing? LOL But at the end of the day we go to bed when we're tyred.
2) You can get a superior Bosch S5 on ebay for less - I bought an S5013 in April for £112. (S5013 is actually a type 019 battery!). Holy crud, how much is shipping on a car battery?
3) If you use a pump to suck the oil out you don't even need to get underneath. Genuine MB filter £11 on ebay, but as mentioned above, you do need a dedicated tool. MB oil £38 for 10L on ebay from an MB dealer. Whilst you're at it though, all the filters (oil, air, pollen (cabin), fuel) are easy to change - although fuel filter is easier with the proper tool.
4) New battery? Under £2. Or dodgy button perhaps? More costly if new keyfob required.
5) A dying battery can trigger the alarm.
6) No ideas I'm afraid.
7) What size wheels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB77 View Post
Many thanks for the replies, REALLY appreciated.

I had my first decent drive in the car today and am wondering why I have not bought one before....it's a FAB car!

Tyres: Good idea about 255 size, I may try next time. I actually managed to get 225 tyres (Enduro Runway which I have used before on my old Granada) for £75 each and I am happy with those. 225 tyres were on all wheels when I bought the car at the weekend.

Tire bar message: Realise now this is a display to show the tyre pressures, however on my display no numbers are displayed, just 2 dashes against each wheel. Any idea how I get the pressures to show on the display? When I bought mine it showed the same. The previous owner had changed the wheels and didn't replace the sensors. Hate to say it, but if you do decide to replace them, go OEM and don't let the tire (sorry, tyre shop, program them. The car will pick them up and it'll be all good.

Battery 1: Thanks for the ebay tip. Presumably a Bosch S5 (or equivalent) is best? Europarts recommend an S3 but am thinking this may not be powerful enough.

Battery 2: I had the battery tested when getting the new tyres and apparently it passed the test. The car seems a little slow turning over when starting hence my though the battery was on it's way out. Any other possible suggestions for a slow turnover when starting?

Oil suction pump: Can anyone recommend a good pump, please?

Remote: The unlock and boot buttons work fine, the lock button seems to need about 12 or 13 presses before it works, so I guess it is not battery related. I have taken the key fob apart and cleaned but has not made any difference. Any ideas where best to get a replacement?

Alarm: Perhaps I did press the lock button and my wife was still in the car! It did also go off while I was pressing the lock button a few times while trying to get it to lock when back at home. It hasn't gone off since so maybe I just got a bit carried away pressing buttons which triggered the alarm somehow.......what a loud alarm though!!! My stock fob has a panic button and that got pressed accidentally once and the alarm went off. Felt like the trunk button but the fob was upside down in my hand.

Seat slider: I have read somewhere that someone once got something stuck in the seat runners (coin I think) which was stopping the seat move. I will check this at the weekend. Does the seat move when no one is sitting in it? If so, motor may be the culprit. Read that sometimes if the seat has been on one place too long, they kinda "stick" there, and if you kneel next to the seat, put your left hand behind the seat and push it forward while activating the forward movement switch, that can break it loose. Then it may work fine. Every so often I will turn on my setting to move driver's seat back when ignition is shut off, just to make sure it moves every so often.

Sun Visor clips broken: Seems like this is a common problem. Any ideas where best to get replacements?

Many Many thanks!
Replies above

Pic

'06 300C Hemi (the 5T FTR)
'05 GSXR1000
'06 GSXR750
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributing Member
Points: 13,919, Level: 1 Points: 13,919, Level: 1 Points: 13,919, Level: 1
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Car: 2010 Chrysler 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim777 View Post
2) You can get a superior Bosch S5 on ebay for less - I bought an S5013 in April for £112. (S5013 is actually a type 019 battery!). Holy crud, how much is shipping on a car battery?

No idea on shipping, that £112 was the delivered price, and ebay sellers tend not to quote shipping separately so they can get all the "Free Postage" logos!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:19 PM
Points: 16,741, Level: 1 Points: 16,741, Level: 1 Points: 16,741, Level: 1
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C CRD
TPMS:
I changed all of mine to Schrader with rubber stems. I got mine from fleebay.
The OEM ones are alloy and are prone to leak. I had a tire go down half way to France! No fun on a Saturday!
The rubber stems are a bit tight to fit, so the fitter needs to use a fair amount of lubricant.
No programing required. Just drive for a few minutes at 40mph+.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Elite Contributing Member
Points: 33,324, Level: 1 Points: 33,324, Level: 1 Points: 33,324, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C CRD Touring in Mineral Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGO View Post
I don't know why you'd want to pump the oil out when on the CRDs a pair of ramps and a catch can that can take 10 litres is enough. That way you get all the oil out. You'll need the tool/wrench for the filter too
Extracting oil with a pump is really easy. I use a Pela hand pump- designed for marine engines. No need for ramps (which I hate) or crawling underneath (too old for that). You can actually remove more oil with a pump by sucking out the filter bowl remnants which doesn't drain by gravity. You can also pump the oil directly into some old containers for easy disposal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement