Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how actual 0 -60 times are measured, but I have a stop watch and have tried timing my SRT8 myself. Seems like the times are usually 5.2 - 5.7 .
Obviously would like to see the 4.9 times I have read about.

Is it possible our speedometers are off by a couple of mph, which would then account for a couple of tenths? Hoping to see cooler weather and might see improvement. Also, launch seems delicate balancing act between too much tire spin and a good solid lauch without the ESP.

Have accidentally hit the red line in first gear two or three times, could that have hurt the performance of my engine, possibly hurt HP, thus resulting in slower 60 mph time?

Any suggestions or observations?

Bigrick

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
1 - yes speedo's are inaccurate unless VDO certified, and even then they require periodic recalibration. 2 - There is no way you are accurate enough with your stopwatch, you are most likely stopping the watch late (try to hit the watch as fast as you can twice in a row...most likely you'll find that without exerting yourself this is around .2). 3-these cars shift if they really redline so dont' worry about it.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Take her to the track or at least try a Gtech. 5.2-5.7 is not bad as a number but the regular C can do 5.6. The SRT should break below 5 seconds ideally 4.5-4.7.

·
Registered
255 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Take her to the track or at least try a Gtech. 5.2-5.7 is not bad as a number but the regular C can do 5.6. The SRT should break below 5 seconds ideally 4.5-4.7.

i dunno of a track where u can get 0-60 mph times. 60ft times are what is measured at the track. that is the time it takes to car to travel 60 feet. the lower the number the better.

Gtech gives you a 0-60mph time. The new gtechs look like a nice unit.

hope this helps

·
Registered
125 Posts
marlinspike said:
these cars shift if they really redline so dont' worry about it.
If he is using auto stick mode the car will NOT shift on its own it will just hit the rev limiter,which would delay and affect times.I recommend to get quickest and most accurate times just leave it in drive and let the car do all the work for you.I do agree you cant accuratly get 0-60 times with a stopwatch your brain just doesnt work fast enough,well mine anyway :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
300CSRT said:
If he is using auto stick mode the car will NOT shift on its own it will just hit the rev limiter,which would delay and affect times.I recommend to get quickest and most accurate times just leave it in drive and let the car do all the work for you.I do agree you cant accuratly get 0-60 times with a stopwatch your brain just doesnt work fast enough,well mine anyway :biggrin:
Erm, I could have sworn I typed "some cars shift if they really redline and some cut fuel" Guess not. Either way, no need to worry about it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Put some steeper gears in that pumpkin and your 0-60 times will drop bigtime....now you just got to find some gears. I wonder if the 3.90 gears in the basic 300 will fit and work with our srt-8's? Get tem to hook up with some drag radials and we're all set :wink1:

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
marlinspike said:
1 - yes speedo's are inaccurate unless VDO certified, and even then they require periodic recalibration. 2 - There is no way you are accurate enough with your stopwatch, you are most likely stopping the watch late (try to hit the watch as fast as you can twice in a row...most likely you'll find that without exerting yourself this is around .2). 3-these cars shift if they really redline so dont' worry about it.
Another classic post where the poster has no clue what he's talking about, yet spouts off as if he's an authority. Credibility rating: ZERO.

·
Registered
443 Posts
JMatt said:
Another classic post where the poster has no clue what he's talking about, yet spouts off as if he's an authority. Credibility rating: ZERO.

aww, come on Matt..................... Credibility rating should be AT LEAST a 2 or 3 due to use of correct spelling :wink1:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
jconnolly1119 said:
aww, come on Matt..................... Credibility rating should be AT LEAST a 2 or 3 due to use of correct spelling :wink1:
Oh yeah, just like the thread where I made some statements about typical traffic laws, and JMatt told me just how wrong I was. Oh wait, now I remember, a few posts later a bunch of older people said the same thing I said and suddenly they were correct, but since I'm young I must have just been guessing. :fing26: Bunch of wankers.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
tough times

bigrick21 said:
Not sure how actual 0 -60 times are measured, but I have a stop watch and have tried timing my SRT8 myself. Seems like the times are usually 5.2 - 5.7 .
Obviously would like to see the 4.9 times I have read about.

Is it possible our speedometers are off by a couple of mph, which would then account for a couple of tenths? Hoping to see cooler weather and might see improvement. Also, launch seems delicate balancing act between too much tire spin and a good solid lauch without the ESP.

Have accidentally hit the red line in first gear two or three times, could that have hurt the performance of my engine, possibly hurt HP, thus resulting in slower 60 mph time?

Any suggestions or observations?

Bigrick

Try bringing someone with you. Let them run the watch and you concentrate on launch. If the car is hot you will not get good times. I won't drive mine hard without some oil temp though - 140 to 150 degrees minimum.

Run six times after you get the hang of launching and average them. We cannot launch our car when cool in D or it gets into second while baking tires then bogs. Launch it in manual, you can bounce off the limiter two to three times getting hooked up then shift, or soft pedal and shift it early to try and get a redline 1-2 shift. Very tricky.

our best of 6 average is 4.7 on a 53 degree morning here. Found some real rugged road with the big pebbly surface that really hooked up. Bone stock car just like we bought it, RSA tires, 32 PSI. No wind, near sea level.

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
marlinspike said:
OK - you asked for it:

1) VDO was a prominent manufacturer of guages. They would "certify" their guages. In the era of nylon gears, guages would need to be "re-certified." VDO certainly never had a lock on being the only accurate speedos on the planet, nor was anyone else preclued from making an accurate speedo unless VDO certified it.

1.5) Today, most speedos are digitally controlled, and are VERY accurate. Typically, a manufacturer may dial in some intentional overstating on the speedo. This keeps people from blaming manufacturers for speeding tickets, etc.

2) Reaction time is different from predictive matching time. When you're playing video games, are you 1/2 second slow on everything? Use a stopwatch with a moving hand. You can accurately stop it at exactly X seconds nearly every time. As you watch a needle sweep, you can hit a stop watch at virtually the exact correct time. (However - I don't think in general that hand-timing a 0-60 run is very accurate)

3) Other people have already pointed out that you have no idea how these cars shift.

4) In response to your comments about your prior thread: Your original assertions proved WRONG (as I said). Other people, with credible authority, spoke to their limited knowledge about several specific state laws. Hence, they had credibility - you didn't.

I can say this for you - at least it's nice that you're so naive that you don't even realize how naive you are. It's much more sad to be clueless, yet just smart enough to understand that you're clueless. At least you can go through life never understanding how you are perceived. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
good reaction

greta... now back on topic?

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
hoping for peace

·
Registered
909 Posts
Back on

Did a 5.41 to 60 with my bone stock 300C 5.7.

Dealer had the Gtech guage or whtever on it, but it had no printer so I couldnt get a slip.

You'll have to take my word for it this time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4.6 in 50 degree low here in Texas

Must agree with some preceeding posts, timing myself by hand is not very scientific. However, my times were incredibly close on a given day, 5.4, 5.5 etc. So I did feel that I was at least pretty consistant, as is the SRT8.

Tonight, I did a couple of things differently, had our first 50 degree night here in Austin, Texas (it was 90s all October!), did full off ESP, and warmed up with tires with a burn out. Results, 4.68, 5.22 (tire spin), 4.75 and 4.60 !

My build date was 8/25/05, and the all off, 7 second ESP really opens up the torque, but the lauch must be carefull not to just spin out. Feel the cool temp was probably most significant, but did prove to myself that this car certainly does mid 4s when conditions are right, tires are warmed up and the ESP is off.

Now I am convinced! :wink1:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts