1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tried my VIN, says no recalls, but am in UK. Does this apply to us here?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Don't hold your breath for Chrysler. I called the 800 number today and they have no info on the 2008 Chrysler 300 being effected even though it's listed on the NHTSA site. The news tonight was mentioning Chrysler dealers don't have any info or parts. Maybe Chrysler should have bought from an American source for the airbags rather than Takata. I wonder why these problems were not caught in the crash tests or the airbag qualification testing by NHTSA, Chrysler and Takata. Bob.

·
Administrator
13,064 Posts
The recall isn't about a failure of the airbag deploying. It's about unintentional deployment and foriegn object damage to drivers. Apparently any airbag with a plastic emblem in it can turn it to shrapnel and hurt or kill you. Also, it's reported that in humid climates the incident rate of unintentional deployment increases dramatically.

I got an error message when putting my VIN into the safecar.gov website.

So, I am sending an email to [email protected]

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My ignorance of the LX platform changes makes me wonder how an '09 or 10 would not have a similar issue being the same generation.

Did D-Chrysler change from Takata mid-stream?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reactions: srt8jeff

·
Registered
632 Posts
ClawSS, you ask an interesting question. One with perhaps many answers. All manufacturers use multiple suppliers for parts for their cars. It is nearly impossible for the public to know where these are sourced from. This is part of the "supply chain management" that is a big deal these days with global manufacturing and sourcing. What could be very interesting or revealing is that how Takata knows to the exact day which certain components are faulty and what they did to fix that mid-stream in the sourcing to all the auto manufacturers and why was that not revealed earlier by the mfrs. As to the 09's and 10's; who knows. All I know is that the Japanese as a group are a proud people and I have to believe that they fixed the component parts as soon as they could. All of our newer 300's may still have Takata components and be perfectly safe.

Another interesting tidbit that I learned recently regarding airbags is that each component is made separately from the others. A brother of my acquaintance works in a factory in Washington state that produces the explosive component. That is then shipped somewhere else. Whether that is shipped to an airbag assembly plant or to the auto manufacturer directly, he does not know. I remember when TRW made this stuff in the Phoenix area, that we heard of explosions at their plant every other month or so. Very volatile stuff! I would hate to be near that truck or train in Washington or wherever it is traveling if there was ever an accident!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts